Introduce yourself to the community.

Moderator: Bmat

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

How were you first introduced to an incarnation of this site

Post by aldan »

*sorry, I ran out of space for the question mark!*

Due to a brilliant suggestion to start a thread inquiring as to how each of us first were introduced to this website, in whichever incarnation, Bmat the SpiderBear has encouraged me to do so...

As for me, I've been a part of this gathering for a couple of years now (I think) and encountered this site by use of one of the brilliant search engines out there (probably Google, but it may have been YahooSearch). I was actually looking for some information about publishing, and wasn't really looking for a site devoted to the art of writing, so when I came upon this site and searched through it, looking for the publishing info I'd Googled for, well, after scratching my head for a bit at some of the odder areas (PATD, anyone?), I finally began to understand what the purpose of the site was and soon was enjoying what I was reading enough to decide to participate in some of the discussions....
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: How were you first introduced to an incarnation of this

Post by Bmat »

aldan wrote:*sorry, I ran out of space for the question mark!*

Due to a brilliant suggestion to start a thread inquiring as to how each of us first were introduced to this website, in whichever incarnation, Bmat the SpiderBear has encouraged me to do so...

As for me, I've been a part of this gathering for a couple of years now (I think) and encountered this site by use of one of the brilliant search engines out there (probably Google, but it may have been YahooSearch). I was actually looking for some information about publishing, and wasn't really looking for a site devoted to the art of writing, so when I came upon this site and searched through it, looking for the publishing info I'd Googled for, well, after scratching my head for a bit at some of the odder areas (PATD, anyone?), I finally began to understand what the purpose of the site was and soon was enjoying what I was reading enough to decide to participate in some of the discussions....

And your decision was SV's gain. Also, thank you for the kind words.
:)

I found about about SV when another Science Fiction site that I belonged to was starting to close up. Somebody posted there about SV. I'm not sure who it was but Nommy's name comes to mind, or it may have been Izzy. Does anybody remember?

Anyway I came over and soon decided that SV was the kind of community that I enjoyed, so here I am.

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

I believe I stumbled across it looking for short stories to read as examples on how improve my own. So, here I am
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

I stumbled across it a while back when I first became seriously interested in writing. I was looking on advice sites for the subject and after nearly an hour of fruitless searching I found the old site. And I must say that I think it's the best website I have ever been to. The only thing that could improve it would have to be casual Fridays and a chocolate bar.

Nomad
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Nomad »

Yes, Bmat. It was Iznardy who introduced us to this site. (Well, the last incarnation or 2). When Scifisites closed, we still had HOST BOARD to play in, but that was mostly just to keep in touch. Merle, CosmicThing, Tandara, Valen and Myself did some playing at PanHistoria. We had out PATD there and could post...er..well...anything we wanted. No *Bleep*'s ;)

Anyway, here we are! :shock:

Nomad
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Nomad »

well, after scratching my head for a bit at some of the odder areas (PATD, anyone?), I finally began to understand what the purpose of the site was and soon was enjoying what I was reading enough to decide to participate in some of the discussions....

Yeah, the PATD throws everybody off when they get there. Ity either makes them or breaks them Definately gets the imagination going ;)

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

I don't remember how I came across S.V. I'm just glad that I found it! There's a wonderful community of people and a lot of fun. There's also a wealth of information on a number of topics.

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

I think it was back in 2001 that I first came here,

I think I was searching for SiFi sites, I think

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

I've been here for two or three years now. I found the sight while searching Yahoo for fantasy-related subjects, can't remember exactly. I had previously checked out forums for writers but I found the designs cold somehow. Speculative Vision grabbed me from the start. It was different.

jenny_91_64
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by jenny_91_64 »

I came by this site while looking for some short stories to read. (I was very bored and thought i might try to improve my short story)but i couldn't think of anything to add so i did a yahoo!search and i found this site. :smt024

who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by who me »

one day i showed up, and opened my big mouth, no one told me to shut up or go away so stayed, then Magus feed me so now you will never get rid of me.

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

Magus feeds you? Feeds you what? Is it good?
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146