speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Focus

A memorial tribute to the poetry of Aldan.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Focus

Postby aldan » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:44 am

A floating bird on airy wave
Wind's current holding it aloft
A twist of head helps swing in sight
Dinner, careless on the ground

The heedless rabbit looks around
As soon will come the fall of night
Its thoughts, they lie on something soft
Not end of life without a grave

*This poem is one that I'm playing with. It's one that has an odd rhyme-scheme (ABCD DCBA), but a strong rhythm. I may or may not add to the poem, but it seems fairly complete as it is now. True, it's short, but all poems need not be epic in nature (even poems ABOUT nature).*
Last edited by aldan on Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Talon Sinnah » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:19 pm

Amen on your last statement. Maybe the title is in it, I personally would debate on calling it Nature, or Nature's Flight. Overall very well done and very powerful.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Ariel » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:45 am

Love it!
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby aldan » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:38 pm

I appreciate your thoughts on the titling of this, Talon. You may notice that I applied one to it now. If you like it or don't, or if you don't know why I titled it as I did, I'd appreciate knowing.

As for the poem itself, I've pretty much decided that unless some idea hits me in the face with a metaphorical two-by-four, I'll just leave it as it is.

I appreciate your taking the time, both of you, to read my offerings here, and to reply to them. Time is the most valuable commodity in the world, so you doing that is of great worth to me!
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Talon Sinnah » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:15 pm

A very suiting name for it I believe.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Grand Evander » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:33 am

I always find your poetry interesting, aldan. There's an unusual rhythm to your poems such that the stanzas seem to me off-beat and disjointed, yet they paint a very thought provoking larger picture for the reader. You certainly are economic with your words and careful with your word choices, which makes a read through all the more pleasurable.
Grand Evander
True Visionary
True Visionary

leave it be...

Postby RHFay » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:15 pm

Hi Aldan!

If you don't mind me putting my two-cents worth in, even though I'm brand new around here, I say leave the poem as-is. It's definitely a complete thought. Any more will dilute that thought, and distract from the point. Poems certainly don't have to be long; haiku are very short! (Maybe I will post some of my "scifaiku" or "horrorku" later, if anyone is interested.)

There's nothing wrong with using a different rhyme sequence, or even no rhyme sequence at all. Your rhyme is very subtle, but subtle works in that particular piece.

Definitely give the title some thought.

Cheers!
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby aldan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:42 pm

I mind not at all. Indeed, I appreciate the input! When I first wrote the poem, I was working toward a totally different result. However, I was interrupted in the middle of creating the piece, so I had to just end it there. It was only after going through all of my "older" written poems (ones that I'd created months ago), that I found this piece again, and it was then that I first noticed, after struggling to 'complete' the poem once again, that the way I had written the poem seemed to be a worthwhile and very workable way to get a valid point across, even though it was quite different from the original one I'd attempted.

The reason I mentioned the rhyme-scheme was because it was a new method for me, one I'd pulled out of my proverbial ear.

Oh, yes, and the investment of two cents can lead to a windfall here at Speculative Vision.
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Return to Theatre of the Mind