speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Wrtrs Blck

A memorial tribute to the poetry of Aldan.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Wrtrs Blck

Postby aldan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:18 pm

*Note: please read the poem and think about how you feel and what you think about it before you read the notes that I will have in the first response message*

I've not been able to
Write a rhyme
Or picture scenes of
Poetry
For seeming eons now
I've scribbled
Naught worth keeping on
A note pad
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby aldan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:34 pm

Yes, this is, indeed, my first posting in this area and quite a long while. What I wrote in the poem is really what I was going through, and still am, in fact.

I really was working with rhythm in this poem, striving to appear to break some rules of poetry writing in a literal sense while maintaining some others strictly. I started the poem with a very fluid, smooth feel to the lines, but actually kept one word from each second line attached to the first, so as to give the poem a subtly unbalanced feel if the poem is read line by line. My beats per line as read per line is 6/3/6/3/6/3/6/3, while if the poem was written in a more traditional form, it'd be a 5/4 pattern, instead. The fluid feel was done by starting most of the fluid first lines on a downbeat, while the second lines started on an upbeat. I moved from that pattern, though, partway through the poem, with the last two lines being up then down.

Really, it's the small things in poetry that can really create the feel for your subject....
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Return to Theatre of the Mind