speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

New Historical Fantasy Series

Promote your latest works here! Press releases or just bragging, this forum is open to your announcements. Note: Only direct linking allowed, no affiliate program or other redirects.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

New Historical Fantasy Series

Postby Britannicus » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi, here's a newbie member announcing a new historical fantasy series: The Gardens of the West.

This is my first venture into the genre, but some of you may know other books of mine published by Wildside Press, e.g. the Lemnos science fiction series, four plays (a rock musical, a comedy, and 2 historical plays), and some other stuff, all available internationally on Amazon.

The Gardens of the West is set in an alternative version of Late Antiquity, so instead of Romans, Goths and Huns we've got the Citizen Empire (Eastern and Western versions), the Horse People, the Blood-Drinkers, and so on.

Here's the blurb to the first volume, The Eagle's Wing, released by Wildside on 23 December 2015:

"The Empire of the West is in turmoil. Blood-Drinkers are massing on its northern border, political and religious factions are locked in a struggle for power, and the Emperor is capricious and sadistic. Mara, daughter of a chieftain of the Horse People, is abducted by slavers as part of a sinister plot to destabilize the West, and the fast-moving events change the lives of many others, too, including the centurion Thomasius, the slave-girl Manasa, Aulus, good-for-nothing son of a Senator, Florianus the eunuch, and Decimus, enforcer for the only man who can save the Empire -- the General."

I'm well into part two, which I hope will be published before the end of this year.

There is more information (including about my other books) on my website http://thegardensofthewest.com/.

I'm planning to launch a competition soon, with free books as prizes, and I'll be doing some readings. The Eagle's Wing was fun to write, and I hope it finds a few readers.

And I look forward to feedback, of course! :)

Cheers

Francis
Britannicus
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: New Historical Fantasy Series

Postby Bmat » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:04 am

Thank you for the notice. :)
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Britannicus » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:23 am

Thanks! I'm hoping to win a few readers, of course. So far the feedback from friends and family has been positive ("natural and engaging style", I quote, blushing of course) but they're not the most objective sample of readers...
Britannicus
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Britannicus » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:44 am

The first draft of volume 2, tentatively titled The Hour of the Fox, is now 80-90% finished. Apart from the "slog" of finishing those last chapters, I want to tweak the plot slightly...
Britannicus
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Bmat » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:06 pm

Good luck! I hope you get the plot tweaked with ease. :)
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Britannicus » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:13 pm

Thank you, Bmat! I usually think about the plot when I'm walking, or swimming, and when I've got it worked out in my mind I go back to the keyboard and write.
Britannicus
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Talon Sinnah » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:55 pm

I would think swimming would have the adverse effect on the thought process but I've never been much of a swimmer either. I'm actually looking for a new book to read. Is there any specific place I can find the book with ease or is it in any bookstore?

Glad to see more activity on the site too lol
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Britannicus » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:28 am

I'm not a good swimmer: very slow breast-stroke, which means I have plenty of time for my thoughts!

The Eagle's Wing is available on all the main Amazon sites, and from other online booksellers, also direct from the Wildside Press website.

I'm going to start a little competition on how my readers visualise the characters. There are already some ideas and suggestions on my webpage, under "Characters". The prizes will be copies of the second book, which is tentatively titled The Hour of the Fox (though that might change); also, the winning images would appear on my website, with a credit.
Britannicus
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Britannicus » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:51 pm

In fact, I've just launched the competition that I promised, on my website for the series http://thegardensofthewest.com/, under "News". I'm hoping that readers will send me suggestions - in the form of artwork or photos - of how they visualise individual characters. Generous book prizes and online credits for any images that I use!
Britannicus
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to Author and Artist Announcements