Chronicles of Narnia, the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

Seen a great movie or video lately? Heard a juicy rumor about an upcoming release? Share your reviews and thoughts with us!

Moderator: Bmat

Believer
True Visionary
True Visionary

Chronicles of Narnia, the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

Post by Believer »

Hey guys, I thought this was a good movie, I actually enjoyed it, what did yall think
Love: a temporary insanity, curable by marriage. -Ambrose Bierce-

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Sindatur »

I've never read any of the books, so can't compare it to source material, but, as a movie alone, I definitely enjoyed it, and have it on DVD.

Believer
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Believer »

so do i

SchoolTheOld
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by SchoolTheOld »

I found them both quite enjoyable, and I had just studied the books on a course after reading them briefly in my childhood. I found it interesting to see the Christian mythology still in place in the movie as strongly as it had been in the book.

I suppose we are in an age where you must be accurate in transferring not just the scenes but the meanings of books onto the big screen.

Believer
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Believer »

I remember reading the book ages ago, but I dont remember anything about it really, im tempted to re-read it.

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

I read those books WAAAAAAY back in third grade. I've read the other multiple times since then, but never that first (or third, depending if you're going in story-chronology or writte-chronology) book again, even though it's by far the best. Go figure. But I was so young that I didn't catch any of the christian similarities in it. But watching the movie I was able to catch them all. I'll probably go back sometime soon and read the book again.

Thank Tolkien, for without him we'd never have Lewis as we know him today.

Anyway, as for the movie, it was downright incredible, and an equally incredible adaptation. Liam Neeson's voice was perfect for the part of Azlan, and the whole production was far better than the previous endeavors to adapt it, even the animated ones (which weren't altogether bad). The children were all wonderful actors as well, and I was especially surprised at how well Georgie Henley (the girl who played Lucy) could act.

Anyway, I assume that you've all heard, that they're currently adapting Prince Caspien, and is set for a 2008 release date.

Believer
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Believer »

you lost me on the last part there

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Prince Caspian is the fourth book, chronologically, in The Chronicles of Narnia. It is, however, the second written.

And my comment about Tolkien was meant only so far that Tolkien was the one who converted Lewis over to Christianity. So no Tolkien, Lewis isn't a Christian, and thus no Christian symbolism or meaning in his writing.

I always found it hilarious how my one friend, who's parents are crazy-strict Baptists, was literally forced by her parents to read all of the Chronicles of Narnia, but they altogether refused to let her read The Lord of the Rings. Tolkien was the man who converted Lewis to Christianity, and yet they think he's somehow a pagan.

Believer
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Believer »

call me neive, but I dont see the christan resemblence

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

You don't see the great and Mighty Aslan sacraficing himself for the salvation of human/centaur/fawn/animal/other kind and then, after both his needless humiliation and wrongful death, he rises from the dead?

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Further, look at The White Witch. She's a deceiver of men, a foul temptress, who offers Edmund the world on a silver platter in exchange for betraying Aslan.

Basically, she effectively resembles Satan, Aslan is Jesus, and Edmund could be contreud as Judas (to an extent).

Believer
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Believer »

Ohh....ok....now i feel stupied