Chronicles of Narnia, the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

Seen a great movie or video lately? Heard a juicy rumor about an upcoming release? Share your reviews and thoughts with us!

Moderator: Bmat

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

I enjoyed the movie...

I have not read the books....

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by ScottSF »

I was happy when I learned that Lewis was an Atheist but then I did some research and found that he sold out in the end; Sad. I think I need to see it soon anyway. I wasn’t really interested in seeing it when it came out. Not because of the use of Christian mythology so much as I’m not into the kind of fantasy that has talking animals. Even if they are talking snakes with legs ;) I did enjoy the cartoon and some of the books as a child so I probably will check it out soon.
Time flies like an Arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
-Groucho Marx

Believer
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Believer »

that is quite interesting Scott about lewis, almost made me laugh at the irony
Love: a temporary insanity, curable by marriage. -Ambrose Bierce-

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Just out of curiousity, why would you enjoy the books and the cartoons, but not the movie, seeing as how they all tell the same story?

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by ScottSF »

oh, because I enjoyed them when I was a child. These days I tend to like fantasy more grounded, sounds strange. . . grounded fantasy. I enjoy sword and sorcery but not so much with unicorns and winged faeries and talking animals. I had a feeling from the previews that Narnia the quality will probably win me over.
-Groucho Marx

Valen
New User
New User

Post by Valen »

Not big on fantasy myself, but throughly enjoyed this movie. I will be getting the book(s) soon.
Hello old friend...

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Sindatur »

Valen wrote:Not big on fantasy myself

Coming from the man who thinks he's a Messiah and has a pride of PsiKittens worshipping his every move, LOL. ;)

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by ScottSF »

Saw it. Great Performances, good child talent can do so much for a movie. Also the animators + Liam as the cat. All that furr in the wind, CGI has come a long way since Lawnmower Man :p But yet, I was deeply moved at several points. The WW2 stuff right from the start, the first contact with mister Tum Tum (forgot his name, Tumnin Tumlin something), the sacrifice of Azlan, that was right out of the stations of the cross we had to learn in Catholic school, with all the emotional impact. Wow, great story telling. I think the editing got a little choppy but only in a very few spots. And the Queen! Yikes. I was more affraid of her than I ever was of Sauron. Great performances.
-Groucho Marx

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Mr. Tumnus.

:wink:

The only real complain I had was with the beginning. It came across to me as incredibly cheesy, especially coming in on those bombers. I understand why they did it: to show why they went to the Professor's house. But the overall affect came across as cheesy, and they probably could have done that better.

I don't know why, but everybody seems to be complaining about the movie's score. It worked fine for me. Sure, it wasn't incredible, and is actually quite immemorable, but it did its job when it had to, and was nonobtrusive. I felt it was perfectly fine.

NeoScribe
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by NeoScribe »

I'm suprised that they managed to make a couple scenes where it made me laugh. I read all the book and was never particularly humored by them (although I still think they are some of the best fantasy in all of creation) and was pleasently suprised that the movie was so faithful to the book.
The flower shop gig wasn't enough to pay for my videogames.

Bibsy
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Bibsy »

I thought the film was well done, but for some reason, I felt distanced from it. I'm not sure if my expectations were too high since I loved the book when I read it waaaaay back when, or if it was something else. I just kept having the feeling that I would have appreciated the film a lot more if I were a kid.

And I do think the opening scene veered toward being a little too over the top. I think it's fine to show an air raid to establish the setting and situation, but opening in a cockpit and spending as much time as they did with the planes before getting to the characters was a bit much. The same effect could have been achieved in a simpler fashion.

Magus wrote:I don't know why, but everybody seems to be complaining about the movie's score.

Really? Guess I haven't come across those folks yet, luckily. I'm a huge fan of film scores, and in this case, I actually liked the score more than I did the film.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

I just saw the movie a couple days ago. I had read one of the books years ago and didn't remember anything past the little girl stepping into the snow.

I liked the movie. I am also not a great fan of fantasy, but the movie kept my attention. I liked the actors. The children were perfect- at no point was I distracted from the story. I didn't notice the music, so I agree with Magus that it was not memorable and that it fit the movie well.

I also agree about the witch. Very scary. She had a menacing quality for sure. I guess that I was distracted by her clothing. It looked so strange, especially the bodice. Is it that the clothing was true to illustrations in the book? I can't remember.

I'll watch the movie again, for sure. Meanwhile, I have a couple questions maybe someone can answer?

Did the professor, (or his voice), appear in Narnia? I was thinking perhaps St. Nicholas? What did he toss to the little girl in the end?