speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

At the Mountains of Madness

Seen a great movie or video lately? Heard a juicy rumor about an upcoming release? Share your reviews and thoughts with us!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

At the Mountains of Madness

Postby Theoballd » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:56 pm

So folks, show of hands: who likes H.P. Lovecraft? If you hand isn't raised, you're either not serious, or don't know who I am talking about. If you don't know who I am talking about, read this and get back to me. No, really, it's OK, I can wait.

Set? Like it? I know right!

So, here's the deal, Lovecraft (if you didn't know) is probably the most influential horror writer since Poe (who he's compared to with some regularity), and of his few dozen pieces of work between poetry, short stories, flash fiction, novellas and one novel, there have been about a dozen movie adaptions, and his overall reach is more noticable. As seen here (doesn't that song just get stuck in your head?).

Now, three words: Guillermo del Toro. Bam.

So, del Toro is apparently a big fan of Lovecraft. "At The Mountains of Madness" is a Novella written by Lovecraft. del Toro has had a script ready for the movie version since 2006. Universal Studios initially gave the project a green light in July of 2010, with plans to start production in May 2011 and filming in June. But, in March 2011, the project was scrapped. The film initially had difficulties getting the go-ahead since it was going to be a good adaption of the novella by not having a romantic sub-plot or a happy ending (in other words, it would be what some call "good"). The project was finally scrapped because del Toro wanted the movie to be released as an R film, while the studio wanted to released it as PG-13 (seriously Universal, "horror" figure out what the word means).

Universal studios still has right of first production, and del Toro still wants to make the movie. I say we start a little letter writing campaign to help nudge Universal along into making the movie, with no love sub-plot, no happy ending, as an R film. So, whose with me?

An online version of the novella can be found here. Now, this was originally done by a friend of mine who started this project, and passed it off to me. So, right now there is a facebook group called 'Make "At the Mountains of Madness"' to show support for the film and del Toro. In about a week I'm going to send out a message to the group with instructions on how to email Universal, and probably a form letter of sorts. I'm not going to ask you guys to join the group, or spread the good word, but I would appreciate it if you guys atleast sent in an email.

Thanks, and remember, supporting Cthulhu is going to be good for you when he awakes to devour mankind, for we are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Theoballd
New User
New User

Re: At the Mountains of Madness

Postby Theoballd » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:49 pm

As an update, we officially have a petition.
Theoballd
New User
New User

Postby emjoy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:47 am

thank you for sharing this information.. :D
emjoy
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Theoballd » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:43 am

Make sure to sign the petition.
Theoballd
New User
New User

Postby piash006 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:05 pm

should i have to buy the novel or it is free..
piash006
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Theoballd » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:16 pm

You can find it for free online in a dozen places.
Theoballd
New User
New User

Postby AlexSivier » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:46 am

I am squirming in my pants for this to be made.
But I am also terrified it will go the same way as many other film adaptations of beloved stories.
AlexSivier
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Theoballd » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:53 am

Based on some stuff put out at various places, it seems like del Toro would rather sit on the project then let it go to pieces.
Theoballd
New User
New User

Return to Movies