speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Here's an old school one for you...

Seen a great movie or video lately? Heard a juicy rumor about an upcoming release? Share your reviews and thoughts with us!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Here's an old school one for you...

Postby artemisoflight » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:01 pm

I just saw "They Live" starring Roddy Piper. I was thinking it was going to be pretty crappy but I wound up really liking it. The ending is hilarious. Has anyone else seen it?
artemisoflight
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: Here's an old school one for you...

Postby Bmat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:50 pm

I don't believe that I've seen it. I was curious about it so checked out some reviews, and it gets decent reviews, too.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby berry » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:14 am

Sure have, i saw it years ago as with most Carpeter films it stays with you for a while. Great movie, it also has one of the longest punch ups scenes!
Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx
berry
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby The Master » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:08 pm

I liked They Live. It was an interesting blend of Carpenter's dark humor, social commentary, 80's action flicks, and 50's style paranoia films. The story concept, while derivative, was quite clever even if the execution was a bit shakey. With a few tweaks this is one film that could be remade to be very relevant to today's economic and political news headlines. The effects were good considering it only had a $3 million budget, but it wasn't really about the special effects anyway.

The acting was pretty bad for the most part, but Piper wasn't as horrific as most of the wrestlers that have tried acting. His experience as a wrestler certainly helped make the fight scene in the ally memorable. Rotten Tomatoes ranks that fight as number 7 on its top 20 movie fight scenes, embedded here for your enjoyment (CAUTION: NOT SAFE FOR WORK DUE TO SOME CUSSING):
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Return to Movies