speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

John Carter

Seen a great movie or video lately? Heard a juicy rumor about an upcoming release? Share your reviews and thoughts with us!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

John Carter

Postby Boikat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:08 pm

Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter hit's the theaters on March 9th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edwLjEB- ... ure=relmfu

Popcorn. I need popcorn.... :P
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Re: John Carter

Postby The Master » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:23 pm

I will probably see it, but the fact that they dropped the "of Mars" and its from Disney worries me.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby Bmat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:33 pm

I'm looking forward to it. I enjoyed the books, although it has been a long long time ago.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby who me » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:19 am

I read the first book. The question is did Disney butcher it?
I mean will the green men of mars break into song ? dance about with the white apes and then kill each other ?

will innocent children go see the film expecting The Emperor's New Groove and getting a John carter directed by peter Jackson.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Boikat » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:14 pm

who me wrote:I read the first book. The question is did Disney butcher it?
I mean will the green men of mars break into song ? dance about with the white apes and then kill each other ?

will innocent children go see the film expecting The Emperor's New Groove and getting a John carter directed by peter Jackson.

No, the green men and white apes did not sing and dance.

That aside, the things that struck me were:

Credit to casting, costume design, make-up. It's amazing how they managed to give a "Boris Vallejo" feel to alomost every Barsoom scene. About the only thing that did not remind me of Vallejo's depictions was Woola and the airships. But neither were distractions from enjoying the movie.

Eye-candy everywhere. Damn! One can only imagine what Cecil B DeMille would have done if he had CGI tools back in the day.

Story wise, as i said, it's been a while since I red the books, but I am fairly sure it deviated some, but i will not spoil it for those who have not read the books or have yet to see the movie. As with most boks to movie productions, some thing has got to give, and I'm sure a lot was compressed and omited and altered. Be that as it may, it's best to look at it as a stand alone movie inspired by the books.

It was worth the extra bucks to see it in 3DE Imax.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Bmat » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:09 pm

Thank you for the review. I am seeing it Wednesday, but the theater doesn't have it in 3D or Imax. I'm contacting my friend to see if she wants to go to a different town to see it.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby The Master » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:31 am

Saw it today in 3D. While the 3D was cleanly done and made the flying sequences look good, I don't think seeing it as a regular movie will affect enjoyment at all. Like Boikat I really liked the sets and costumes. I actually was impressed with how much skin they managed to show without it ever once seeming tawdry.

Taylor Kitsch was just meh to me. He lacks nuance, and I didn't feel he had much chemistry with Lynn Collins who turned in a significantly better performance than Kitsch did. Be that as it may this kind of film doesn't necessarily hinge on outstanding performance (witness nearly everything Sam Worthington does) so much as a good story and execution. The source material is, of course, impeccable but not very high profile among the younger movie goers that deliver big office numbers. Its been forever since I read any of them so I can't speak to faithfulness of the adaption but I thought the screenplay was good. The action sequences are pretty thrilling with some fun (albeit Disney near-bloodless) fights. The Thark's thankfully don't descend into JarJar territory, which was a true blessing and I admit was something I was worried about.

The bottom line is I was certainly entertained and its a good movie (not great, but solidly good), but its not going to push any films out of my top 10 or anything. I think the very poor opening box office is a bad indicator of how enjoyable it is, and the fact that it cost a mint to make is making those number more sour looking than they deserve. Be that as it may, the studio clearly overspent and its going to be a money pit, so don't expect a sequel.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby Qray » Thu May 03, 2012 3:44 am

But the movie is pulling in huge bank overseas. Over 270 million US. It was huge in China and Russia (breaking the all-time opening-day record.)

I just wish Robert Rodriguez had been able to stick with the project. Regardless, a project that has been in the works for over 30 years...it could have been a lot worse.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby ryanseanoreilly » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:42 pm

You know, we just reviewed this book and movie on my podcast - No Deodorant In Outer Space (http://www.nodeodorant.com). I would say the overall consensus was that there was a lot of effort put into this movie and it really showed. The setting, the characters, the effects -- its all very cool. I would have liked to see a sequel made of this, but I guess that's not going to happen - as pointed out in this recent IO9 article: http://io9.com/the-john-carter-sequel-were-never-getting-wouldve-been-1582787443/all.

That said, I did think the movie suffered from cramming too much in, since they were planning on doing a trilogy. They tried to set up a back story about a dead family, but I don't think they fleshed it out enough. Then they put in too much about the Therns who (as is my understanding) aren't really players until the next book.

I also did not like the fact that John Carter just wanted to get back home. I mean - come on - he has super powers on Mars. He's got a love interest. And his family back on earth is all dead. I know he returns in the end, but what was the point of him talking about going back. Though, now as I am writing this, I think one of the Therns sends him back (but again without much explanation). Too much stuff. Normally I wold like that (read Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit), but for some reason here it doesn't quite work.

Though again, I would be for a sequel. So too bad we don't get to see the full vision.

Anyway here is the link to my podcast if anyone cares to listen: http://nodeodorantinouterspace.wordpress.com/2014/06/01/review-a-princess-of-mars-edgar-rice-burroughs-and-john-carter-andrew-stanton/

ryanseanoreilly
New User
New User

Return to Movies