speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The Avengers

Seen a great movie or video lately? Heard a juicy rumor about an upcoming release? Share your reviews and thoughts with us!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

The Avengers

Postby The Master » Tue May 08, 2012 12:32 am

You must see this movie.

I'm not kidding. Go see it.

Marvel exceeded my expectations in every way with this film. The story is solid. The acting is superb (yeah I know...lots of great actors makes that easy, but Chris Evans really upped his game this time out which was nice to see). The action sequences--and there are TONS of action sequences--are thrilling. The fight scenes are very impressive with a Thor/Hulk smackdown being worth the price of admission alone. There are crowd roaring with laughs comic touches I never expected. There are more subtle nods to prior films and pop culture. The visuals overall are stunning, with the Hulk looking amazing and the 3D turned out fantastic so its worth the extra couple bucks. Hands down this is the most fun movie I have seen in ages, far eclipsing the Iron Man/Captain America/Thor prequels.

Did I mention that you should see this film?
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Re: The Avengers

Postby Boikat » Fri May 18, 2012 4:05 pm

Loved it! This is what the Marvel Comic movies are all about. :)

Two scenes that I liked for the "giggle factor" were the Hulk's version of a "high five" delivered with hulkish subtlty to Thor, and the Hulk vs. Loki fight (if you want to call it a "fight"). The Hulk version of CPR was funny, too.

All in all, a good movie, certainly headed for my DVD collection when it comes out.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Bmat » Fri May 18, 2012 7:04 pm

I'm convinced. And in 3-D, right? I hope to see it next week.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby The Master » Sat May 19, 2012 4:35 pm

Yeah, I definitely give it a "worth it" for 3D Bmat. Its cleanly done with some effects clearly designed to take advantage of it.

With its third straight weekend win Avengers is on track to become the fastest movie to make $450 million by Sunday. It did it in 17 days, 10 days faster than previous record holder The Dark Knight. It is now Disney's highest grossing film ever, which is very good news for them after John Carter (which is better than its box office indicates, but should have cost them about 1/2 what they spent on it) flopped.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Boikat » Sun May 20, 2012 3:54 am

And do not forget to sit through the end credits for the "tag" bit. It's ...different.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Bmat » Wed May 30, 2012 5:54 pm

I almost forgot to sit through the end- glad I did.

I saw the movie today, 3D as advised.

I was glad to see the characters since I was not familiar with them. I liked the energy and the effects, the casting. I was cheering by the end for the good guys. :) And yes, the Thor - Hulk smackdown- my favorite scene.

Who was the person at the end of the movie who turned slowly toward the camera? I didn't recognize him.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby The Master » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:57 am

Answer for Bmat:
He is Thanos, a villian from the Avengers comics that is pretty much only known by those who actually read Avengers comics. Most relevantly, he has a connection to the Cosmic Cube thing so it made sense for him to be the one who was really behind the invasion and to be part of the sequel.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bmat » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:03 am

Thank you!
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby waytanblee » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:15 am

It was a good movie huh. I liked the hulk's secret for staying normal. it was a Joss Whedon film, did you know? He's renown for handling multiple heros, which is hard to do.
waytanblee
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (5)

Return to Movies