speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Prometheus

Seen a great movie or video lately? Heard a juicy rumor about an upcoming release? Share your reviews and thoughts with us!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Prometheus

Postby Boikat » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:32 pm

Visually stunning in 3D. The soundtrack score is majestic, but sadly, the story does not reach the majesty of the score, or the hype. It's not a terrible movie, nor is it poorly done, or lacking in vision. I can only guess that there is a big pile of "deleted scenes" sitting in a pile on the editing floor that should have been left in the film (Maybe a "director's cut" for the DVD will be available).

Some of the reviews seemed to imply that there would be a bit of a "gore-fest". It's not. There is a fair number of creepy-crawlies, but not a huge zoo to keep track of. Reviews also implied that one would be "cringing" at every turn of a corner because everyone sould be expecting something to jump out of the shadows and dispose of the disposable characters in a splattering of blood, guts and dismemberment. Nope. Sorry, not this time (Which is not to say that the disposable characters were not disposed of).

Character-wise, the only characters that showed any real character (from my point of view) was the captain of the Prometheus and his flight crew, and that only near the end of the movie, and had way too little "face time" during the run of the movie.

The movie ended with the clear option for a sequal, and one can only hope that if there is a sequal it will outshine this one.

If I had not seen it, I probably would go see it, but I have no temptation to see it in the theater again. I will probably buy it when it coems out on DVD on the off chance it has a "deleted scene" extra, and the option to play with the deleted scenes included on the off chance that it will improve the movie (Or, if there is a "directors cut" release).

I give it a 3 out of 5.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Re: Prometheus

Postby Bmat » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:26 pm

Thank you for the review. This is one for which I watched a trailer and thought it might be one to see.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby waytanblee » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:49 pm

I thought that it might be really good. That is until I found out it was an Alien prequel though. It is directed by Ridley Scott, of Gladiator fame, and i'm going to see it with a mate soon, so I will report back on my opinion about it later.
waytanblee
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby Boikat » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:27 am

waytanblee wrote:I thought that it might be really good. That is until I found out it was an Alien prequel though. ...

No fears. It's not really a prequal, but more of a "parallel" that takes place some time before "Aliens".
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby The Master » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:15 am

I've been looking forward to it and it did not disappoint. I do agree that it isn't quite as epic of a vision as I had hoped, and I too had some plot issues that makes me wonder if it suffered in editing. Some characters were cliched and recycled versions of ones we have seen in Scott's other films, but it wasn't detrimental to the story. Michael Fassbender's android is the stand out role of the lot. Guy Pearce performs his character fine, but his makeup was very heavy handed and distracting.

All that said, its a solid science fiction film with a good amount of scare factor. Visually its absolutely stunning and there are a couple of key scenes where the 3D is truly dazzling and spectacular (CGI makes that a lot easier to do of course) so I highly recommend you try to see it in 3D to get the wow factor.

It was originally going to be an Alien prequel but as it developed Ridley Scott decided to expand it. It is set within the same fictional universe and has some connection to the Alien movies that becomes obvious as the film progresses, but is not about them directly.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby donnawhite » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Bmat wrote:Thank you for the review. This is one for which I watched a trailer and thought it might be one to see.

Sure to be worth watching the flick.
The review is attractive also.
donnawhite
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to Movies