War of the Worlds

Seen a great movie or video lately? Heard a juicy rumor about an upcoming release? Share your reviews and thoughts with us!

Moderator: Bmat

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

I'd agree. If ever I get to teach British Literature I'd be sure to have all the little chil'ens to read this.

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

You do that
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Indeed I will.

I'd have several Shakespear plays, I hear that for next year I'll have to read A Midsummer's Night Dream, the Taming of the Shrew and several others. I'll have The Hitchhiker's Guide ot the Galexy (also reading for next year). There'd be The War of the Worlds. I'd do The Lord of the Rings for an Honors Class and The Hobbit for a regular class. They'll probably require some manner of Dicken's so I'll find something of his that would fit. Then I'll do some Jules Vern and maybe another Wells or something like that. British Literature should be fun.

Now, If I had World Literature that would be another story. I'd want to branch away with the traditional Euro-centric trend, but I'd have to incorperate some European literature of course. I'd have them read The Ragwitch (Australia). I'd include Animal Farm, Julius Ceasar (both of which I read when I took World Literature). I'd do The DaVinci Code as it illustrates Europe rather well and is contemporary American Literature (from what I here after I took World Literature they made The DaVinci Code required reading). Obviously I'd have to do more to find out what else to include.

American Literature, what fun this would be. I'd have a section on Poe Stories and Poems (specifically including The Masque of the Red Death, The Cask of the Amontillado, The Tell Take Heart, The Raven. But including another story or two and many more poems). I'd have them read The Things They Carried, a contemporary book on The Vietnam War (The only book, I think, where a character dies in one chapter, is alive the next, is dead for twenty years in the next and then alive again in the next chapter). They'd read The Great Gatsby and I'd play them an episode or two of The Shadow to incorporate that in the '20's '30's culture. They'd also read many fun contemporary books; Jurassic Park, Needful Things or The Long Walk, maybe Deception Point, maybe a John Grisham novel (other classes read The Testement). There'd be a short story or two written furing the beginning of colonization, probably a play sometime through the course of the class and a few more short stories.

:shock:

8)

Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Havoc »

What? No Stephen King or Terry Pratchett? What a lousy teacher you would make.
It's the pacing mate.... PACING!!!

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Yes Stephen King. I said either Needful Things of The Long Walk. Those two I know I can teach in a class setting and they're his two best stand alone works.

And I haven't read Terry Pratchett, although his books look like they would amuse me.

Arien_Laurelin
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Arien_Laurelin »

I like the scooby ending :D seriously though, I have not yet read wells war of the worlds although i had read time machine, and seen the movie with guy pierce i disliked the movie and loved the book i was hopeful that war of the worlds wouldn't have the same effect, I don't know how close it was to the book but i really enjoyed the movie and was able to ignore the fact that tom cruise starred in it!! great love a little gratuitous violence!!

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

It was different from the book, but their changes made sense for what they wanted to do. Here's a brief list of differences. The book's in blue and the movie's in red.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD FOR BOTH THE BOOK AND THE MOVIE!!!!!

The Martians land in England on the outskirts of London. The Martians land all over the world.

The book takes place in England during the 1800's. The Movie takes place in contemporary America.

The protagonist is a married Philosopher without any chidren. Tom Cruise is a divorced construction worker with two estranged children.

The protagonist takes his wife to a safe location and then returns home to observe the aliens, seeing little threat in their presence and having a firm belief in England's Military might, Tom Cruise, Dakota Fanning and the son flee to Boston to find the mother. Tom Cruise has little to no faith in the military.

The Martians come to Earth in five pods, each containing three aliens. The Construct the tripods on the site of landing. The Martians come to Earth and enter their previously stached Tripods.

The protagonist meets two seperate characters, a curate and an artilleryman. Tim Robins plays a character who is a combination of the two previous characters.

The protagonist knocks out the curate, choosing not to kill him, but the noise rouses the Martians who then capture and consume him. Tom Cruise kills Tim Robbins.

The aliens are described as squids or octopie with two "hands", each one having eight tenticles. The aliens resemble smaller, tamer versions of the alien from Alien.

Driver_Gabe
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Driver_Gabe »

I didn't watch the original but I really enjoyed the movie and will buy the DVD when it comes out.

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

Finally got to see this movie and loved it! I was at the edge of my seat!

Driver_Gabe
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Driver_Gabe »

I been trying to convince my mom to watch it, but despises Tom Cruise for the way he acts in real life. Because of that she barely watch his movies.

LadyLeviticus
New User
New User
Location: Riding On The Back Of My Dragon And Flying To Exotic Worlds.

Post by LadyLeviticus »

This movie was okay. But it was a little off. :?