War of the Worlds

Seen a great movie or video lately? Heard a juicy rumor about an upcoming release? Share your reviews and thoughts with us!

Moderator: Bmat

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

War of the Worlds

Post by Anthentar »

You know, I never saw the original, but I have heard much of the radio play. Neverread the book either. My dad tells me that the old movie was very good and we are both pretty excited about this new movie. Looks good, what do you all think about War of the Worlds? Will you be seeing it?
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

Saw the original and will eventually see the new version.The radio show caused quite a panic as people thought we were actually being invaded by aliens from a different planet.That really frieked them out! :shock:

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

Yea, I watched a special on the radio play a few weeks ago. Crazy stuff. Can't wait for this movie, looks so good
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

Nomad
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Nomad »

I loved the original movie. It really shows the old way of film making. As for the new movie, From what I saw in previews it looks good, but also different in the storyline???

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

I want to see this movie so bad... I'm practically glued to the trailers. But yesterday, during The Outer Limits, a commercial came on and my sister changed the channel because she's trying to avoid all previews to come to the movie as fresh as possible. Grrrrrr...

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

Yea, grrr. I'm glued to them as well. Oh Nomad, I don't believe they changed the story except for the different time period and possibly the different point of view. Story, in essence, is still the same though.

Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Havoc »

In went to see it yesterday and was thoroughly disappointed. I felt cheated out of an ending.
It's the pacing mate.... PACING!!!

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

I'm going to see it today. I have around half of the book left but I should be able to finish it before then. We're waiting y dad to come home so that means that I have at least 8 hours until then. More then enough time to read around 60 pages.

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

I heard it was pretty loud

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

I just saw this today, Princess of Fire chose not to come because she thought it was too scary (by the way, my dad told me to tell you that you were right. I do concede that you may not have liked it). Although I loved it.

It was a good modern adaptation of the classic H.G. Wells story, which I also just completed today before I saw the movie. Most of the changes that they made were understandable ones. Clearly it wasn't 1800's England and Clearly Tom Cruise is not a Philosopher. But hey, it worked for what they were trying to do. And I must say that I loved how they merged the artilleryman and the curate into a single role. I think it worked out better then it did in the book where they were separate roles. I'll stick with the book being better, but this movie was well done. However I'll agree with the Chicago Tribune that it was "thrilling but just short of masterful".

Although I'm wondering why, when all electronics are disabled, a hand-held video camera still works, or an airplane can crash well after the shorting occurred. But I must say that the creepiest and most pleasing part of the movie was the mob trying to get into the car, especially the one guy who was tearing open the windshield with his bare hands!

Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Havoc »

*spoilers*
I'm more wondering why the aliens (I believe the book states martians) went through all the trouble of burying those machines before there were people there.

I'm wondering why such a large scale hi-tech invasion failed to forsee bacteria while Nasa scientists today expect any alien life to be such.

I'm wondering why the aliens didn't keep up their electronic fall out if they clearly had the ability to do so. They could render the entire military useless.

Since it was at least seven years since I partially read the book in English (at a time before I got good at the language) I am also wondering if the book didn't contain Shields.

I do have a very clear image of a scene in the book that describes a special type of Artillery that explodes before it hits the earth and that is how the English military knocked down the first tripods.

I also seem to remember a lot less of these tripods to land in the book.
It's the pacing mate.... PACING!!!

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

How scary is the movie, would it give nightmares to someone prone to nightmares?