speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The Hobbit: An unexpected journey.

Seen a great movie or video lately? Heard a juicy rumor about an upcoming release? Share your reviews and thoughts with us!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

The Hobbit: An unexpected journey.

Postby Boikat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:53 pm

It's been decades since I read "The Hobbit", but I liked the movie. Saw it in 3D IMAX, but not the "double speed" that some have claimed gave them headaches or made them dizzy. The scenery/set design was up to the same standard as the LotR trilogy, as was the music. The first half or so of the movie seemed slow paced, but is dotted with some background story to keep one's interests up. The background bits, supposedly, is what turned a "short" novel into a three part movie.

There wee a few parts I didn't care for. I don't really agree with the portrayal of Radagast the Brown. He comes across as slightly demented, and has a bird's nest in his hair, and bird droppings down the right side of his face. Oh come on! I know he like animals and the forest, but reeeealy! I'd have thought as one of the Istari, he would have taken a little more pride in his appearance. OTOH, he has a run-in with the a Ring Wriath, and accounts well for himself in his battle and escape (on a rabbit powered sled, no less!). Sauroman also appears in the film, played by Christopher Lee. It seemed to me that Lee was placed in his chair and propped up to deliver Sauroman's lines. It was kind of sad to see such an icon of film, just sitting there delivering his lines. They were well delivered, to be sure, but still....

But, all in all, I liked the movie, and the latter half picks up the pace for a nice return to Middle Earth, and worth the bucks, and the popcorn and soda.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Re: The Hobbit: An unexpected journey.

Postby Bmat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:49 pm

Thank you for the review. I liked the Hobbit when I read it (a goodly number of) years ago and had already decided I'd like to see the movie. :)
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Return to Movies