speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The Island

Seen a great movie or video lately? Heard a juicy rumor about an upcoming release? Share your reviews and thoughts with us!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

The Island

Postby Bmat » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:32 pm

I watched The Island, starring Scarlett Johansson and Ewan McGregor. It wasn't one I'd heard of before. The story was about a clone, Lincoln Six Echo, who developed curiosity and determined to escape from the facility that raised clones for sponsors who paid for the clones in order to have insurance policies against needing an organ transplant. The people running the facility strictly controlled the lives of the clones to ensure healthy "product."

The movie is enjoyable. There are chase and action scenes as well as interesting development of the facility and the choices made.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Re: The Island

Postby The Master » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:03 pm

I rather enjoyed it too.

It was a flop, got smacked with a copyright lawsuit (it was basically a rip off remake of The Clonus Horror), and Bay has never been one to let a thoughtful movie speak for itself when he can lard it up with gratuitous explosions. Still, I have always liked dystopian films and books that examine what makes us human and what the value of life is. This movie is true to that genre.

For similar themes I highly recommend the British film Never Let Me Go starring Carey Mulligan, Keira Knightley and Andrew Garfield. Really wonderful performances by the whole cast.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Return to Movies