speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

"The Running Man" (Arnold!?)

Seen a great movie or video lately? Heard a juicy rumor about an upcoming release? Share your reviews and thoughts with us!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

"The Running Man" (Arnold!?)

Postby ryanseanoreilly » Sun May 04, 2014 4:41 pm

I recently re-watched "The Running Man" which starred Arnold Schwarzenegger and was based on the novel by Stephen King. I saw that movie when I was much younger, and remember fairly enjoying it. That said, its kind of a rough ride when you see it again. Arnold is at the height of his one-liners and it is full of campy 80's cheese. Its sort of cool for a nostalgic look back at that period but it doesn't hold up all that great.

I also read the book which it is based on as part of my podcast (No Deodorant In Outer Space - http://www.nodeodorant.com) which was reviewing both. The book is much better. Its darker and more gritty. Plus the protagonist is pitted against the entire world rather than a bunch of silly gladiators (though I do have to admit I enjoy the gladiators). Considering when the book was written, its a very forward looking book-especially that we are now quite deep in a reality-show era of television and media.

Anyway, I would recommend the book for anyone (the few) who isn't familiar with Stephen King outside of horror. It's a very very fast-paced book and reads well as a sort of dystopian thriller. Check it out.

I've seen rumors that Arnold's been thrown old-scripts to remake, but I don't this one will get redone. It might be cool if someone else does a more faithful version to the book.
ryanseanoreilly
New User
New User

Re: "The Running Man" (Arnold!?)

Postby Bmat » Sun May 04, 2014 7:32 pm

I like the name- no deodorant in outer space. LOL!
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Re: "The Running Man" (Arnold!?)

Postby ryanseanoreilly » Mon May 05, 2014 6:08 pm

Yeah, its pretty much ridiculously awesome. Thanks! :-)
ryanseanoreilly
New User
New User

Return to Movies