speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The Martian

Seen a great movie or video lately? Heard a juicy rumor about an upcoming release? Share your reviews and thoughts with us!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

The Martian

Postby Bmat » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:05 pm

Have you read the book? Do you plan to see the movie?

The answer for me to both is yes. I enjoyed the book greatly, and I am looking forward to the movie.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Re: The Martian

Postby Asp Zelazny » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:04 pm

I've got the book on my To Read pile, which (fortunately or unfortunately) has more than 50 books in it.
Haven't been out to many movies in the last year, but this one is likely.
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Bmat » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:20 am

I read the book on my kindle, and I liked it so much that I bought a paper copy for my husband (who won't read using the kindle.) We both went to a book club discussion on The Martian, also.

I know what you mean, Asp, about a high pile of books to be read. I keep getting free books on my kindle - some are hits, some not, but there is plenty to read. Plus there are some I'd like to read again, such as Hunger Games- the last movie is coming out later in the year. And it's almost time to read Panshin's Rites of Passage again.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Asp Zelazny » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:46 pm

The book pile does not include the 4 books sitting unread in my iPad that I keep forgetting about. (they were freebies, and somewhat low on my priority list.)
I was lucky enough this year to score a pile of 39 books on Native American art and anthropology from a magazine publisher in the field who was getting rid of the review books sent to him over the years, since he was reducing his office space. That's the big reason for the size of the reading pile for me. Right now, from a completely different source, I'm reading "Saved, As By Fire" ... an 1887 anti-alcohol, pro-Savior weeper that I picked up in a Goodwill Store, more for the old book cover than anything else. Turgid prose, Victorian sensibilities, and very funky line-cut illustrations -- bizarre enough to keep me sorta interested.
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Bmat » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:48 am

"Saved..." does sound interesting. I just did a reread of Secret Garden. :) Another I got for free on my kindle, and before storing it in a folder I thought I'd look through it. then read the whole book. I remember why I enjoyed it as a child.

My aunt, who died last year, had a collection of amazing Native American pottery and some other Native American art. I loved hearing about every piece.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Movies