speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

What be your favorite Movie and why?

Seen a great movie or video lately? Heard a juicy rumor about an upcoming release? Share your reviews and thoughts with us!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Caltana » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:20 am

No I haven't, any good?
"Hell? There is no Heaven, there is no Hell, there is only this place, the Land Of The Dead, my friend..."
-Kevin Heinz Fischer-Oakley.
Caltana
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Neurolanis » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:32 pm

Thanks, ScottSF. That does sound interesting! :D

I've never heard of 'The Big Lebowski' or 'Rising Arizona'.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Manji » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:54 am

Raising Arizona is about a low-life ex-con who is released from prison, tries to go straight, but fails horribly.
He reverts back to his old habits of shop-lifting and other forms of larceny while his wife thinks he's gone down the straight and narrow.
Something happens, I can't remember if he kidnaps her or if he found her after she was kidnapped, but somehow he comes into possession of the baby girl of the richest man in town and him and his wife, who've always wanted a baby girl, decide to keep her and name her Arizona.
Raising Arizona. :)
A really good movie is Paris, Texas. Harry Dean Stanton (Skinny, zombie looking guy from Alien) should have more movie roles, dammit.
I read Roger Ebert's review of the movie and didn't think I'd like it. Watched it on cable one lazy afternoon and it was great.
The script. The actors. The cinematography. It's all great.

L.A. Confidential was a great movie (and an even better book). Russel Crowe playing Bud White was one of the best performances ever.

John Woo's first action movie "A Better Tomorrow." This film is what made me want to write. I was fifteen. I cried. Hard. Chow Yun Fat is one of the greatest actors ever in his native language.

Gods and Generals/Gettysburgh. Watching them together, in chronological order, is great. Some people say that the big-budget motion pictures Gods and Generals wasn't as good as the low-budget, made for TV movie Gettysburgh. They're right, but G&Gs was still a great movie.

Commando. Common, with lines like, "You know when I said I'd kill you last? I lied." how can you not love this movie?

Marty. Great movie about a man and his possessive mother. Ernest Borgnine is the best.

Wild Bunch. Same Peckinpah's opus of violence and brotherhood and the driving force behind John Woo's love for filmmaking. The Directors cut is the best of the two versions. It explains why Pike walks with a limp. Why Pike and his former gang had a falling out. It makes the characters more life-like than in the original cut.

Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia. This is a good movie. An allegory of Sam Peckinpah's tragic life. The Main Character, Benny, could have been called Sam. From his swagger and his facial expression to his sunglasses, Warren Oates captured Director Samuel Peckinpah to the smallest detail. Even the ending itself mimiced Peckinpah's death in a symbolic way; A man driven to the grave by his obsessions. That was peckinpah.

The Getaway. Steve McQueen. Ali McGraw. Sam Peckinpah directing. This is one of the best chase-thrillers ever made.

The Steel Helmet. Samuel Feuller's first movie and the first Korean War movie, made while the war was still raging! The Steel Helmet isn't hollywood escapism. The hero isn't a John Wayne clone and peckinpah wasn't a patriot. He fought in the second world war with the first infantry division. He went from North Africa to Germany. He was there the entre time. The first wholly American anti-war movie. The ending: Screen fades to blak. Words begin to appear across the screen. "This isn't the end. War has no end."

Big Red One. Samuel Feuller's Auto-Biography and one of Mark "Don't call me Skywalker" Skywalker-Hammil's first films. Lee Marvin playes a sergeant who fought in World War One. Samuel had his first book published while he was in Europe. He only finds out about it when he sees one of the fresh troops reading a copy he's had since basic. IRL, his mom sent it into a publisher the day he landed in Africa and he didn't know about it until halfway across Europe.

Pulp Fiction. Tarantino's only turly original work and quite entertaining.

Pork Chop Hill. Just for the fact that Gregory Peck asks a bumbling soldier, played by real life Medal of Honor winner turned actor Audie Murphy, "Who do you think you are? Audie Murphy?" and the kid just smiles and continues his shell-shocked stroll down the trenchline.

The Shootist. John Wayne's last film. He plays JB Bookes, a gunfighter dying of Prostate Cancer. It's painful to watch, and sad as hell, because you have an American icon on the screen acting quite convincingly like he's in severe pain. He had overcome lung cancer himself only a couple of years before and he thought that The Shootist made for a fitting last ride. It did. Bookes' search for personal redemption and trying to find some justification and meaning to his violent life is moving. Equally moving is the end, when he accepts that he will die and states to himself, "I spent forty-five years dodging ambushes and watching my backtrail just to die in a hotel room crying like a baby. No. If I'm going to die, Goddammit, I'm going to have a say in how!"
The movie is almost 100% accurate to the book, as well. I highly recommend both.
Manji
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby SpookyKatie » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:08 pm

Well Let me think??

Ok here I go!

Fav T.V. show that was made into a Movie: The X-Files!
Because I Just Love The X-Files!

Fav Anime Movie: Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind
I Don't Really Have A Reason For This One Its Just Good!

Fav Comedy Movie: The Water Boy
O God Were Do I Start!

Fav Scary Movie: Umm... Well I Like Jeepers Creepers 1 & 2
Why... :scratch:

ooo Who Could Forget "10 Things I Hate About You"

And Than That's It I Can't Think Of Any Others Soo Thats It
Iron Skirt Kate, SV's very own super villain.
Art is love, love is art **Up-Date**

And take that old dusty road over to my blog!
SpookyKatie
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Chaeronia » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:20 am

The Matrix,
Goodfellas,
Gattaca,
Lord of the Rings,
Anchorman,
Young Guns,
South Park, The Movie
LA Confidential,
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World,
The Terminator and Terminator 2,
Aliens,
Pulp Fiction,
Minority Report,
Mad Max II,
Fight Club,
American History X,
About a Boy,
The Green Mile,
Sin City,
Gladiator,
Memento,
City of God,
Blade II

I'm sure there are others, but these instantly stood out. My favourite has to be Jackson's Lord of the Rings, just a supreme effort in storytelling. The Matrix and Gattaca run it close.

Chaeronia
'There's a vampire, dad. It's trying to get me.'
'I know, son,' he said softly. 'I saw it.'
'You saw it?'
'Yeah. I broke its bloody neck. I won't have no vampires in my house.'
Chaeronia
New User
New User

Postby Qray » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:09 am

Raising Arizona is a Coen Brothers film. One that they did before The Hudsucker Proxy, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, O' Brother, The Ladykillers, ect.

Nicolas Cage (IMO does the best acting of his career in this movie) plays "Hi," a former crook (held up conveince stores with an unloaded gun.) who marries a cop played by Holly Hunter (Ed.) Like Manji said, Holly Hunter's character is barren but she wants a child more than anything else (as stubborn as she was in O' Brother, is nothing compared to this movie.) When they find out the town's richest family (the Arizonas) have had quintuplets, Ed convinces Cage to steal one of the babys and funkiness ensues.

Add in John Goodman and William Forsythe as the escaped from prison Snoat brothers and Randall 'Tex' Cob as Leonard Smalls, a bounty hunter that seems more like a Harley riding angel of death, that Arizona hires to find his kidnapped son...and the movie feels like more of a ride than a movie. And a wild ride it is. If you liked The Big Lebowski. (I am not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing) you'll like Raising Arizona.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Caltana » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:00 am

Sounds good. Yes I'm a big Cohen brothers fan so I'll probably check it out. The Your a Lebowski I'm a Lebowski speech is probably the only one you could quote without swearing :lol:
"Hell? There is no Heaven, there is no Hell, there is only this place, the Land Of The Dead, my friend..."
-Kevin Heinz Fischer-Oakley.
Caltana
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Sherry » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:16 pm

I can't narrow it down. I have several favorites. They are all too different so I can't pick just one but here they are.

Somewhere in Time

Harry Potter (it's actually between 1 and 3 - I am undecided which I like best)

Dirty Dancing

X-Men

The Lost Boys

What can I say, they are just great movies. No other reason, but that.
Sherry
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Qray » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:44 pm

Whoa...a tough one.

The Blues Brothers.

Star Wars : A New Hope.

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me.

The Cutting Edge. (Hey, what can I say.)

Enemy at the Gates.

Princess Bride.

Gandahar (Asimov)

Rio Grande

Rio Bravo

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Kelly's Heroes

Two Mules for Sister Sara

The Great Escape

Shichinin No Samurai

The Magnificent Seven

Bullitt

That is, off the top of my head. There are of course, more.
Qray

Postby Dagny » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:12 am

For me, I would have to say:

The Quiet Man (ya just gotta love John Wayne)
Young Frankenstein (no comment about nice knockers :wink: )

*pokes Q*
Dagny
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Qray » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:28 am

Dagny wrote:*pokes Q*

What hump?

Abby Normal?

There wolf?
Qray

Postby aldan » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:50 pm