speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

What be your favorite Movie and why?

Seen a great movie or video lately? Heard a juicy rumor about an upcoming release? Share your reviews and thoughts with us!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

What be your favorite Movie and why?

Postby Ranryu » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:15 pm

I have a lot of friends that differ on reasons they enjoy certain movies. So in retrospect I would like to know other peoples favorites and why.
When in Doubt Reload and Repeat.

(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Cut, copy, and paste bunny onto your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.
Ranryu
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Ranryu » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:27 pm

I believe this needs to be moved to the Movies section. :oops:

(\__/) This is Bunny.
Ranryu
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Magus » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:27 pm

This might better fit in the movie section, don't you think?
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Ranryu » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:30 pm

I that i was in that section at first. :oops:
Then this happens.

(\__/) This is Bunny.
Ranryu
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Bmat » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:41 pm

I can't pin it down to one, because I like them for different reasons.

2001 is what my husband and I saw on our first date, but I would say it is one of my favorites not because of the movie but for the association, although I think the movie was a shot in the arm for science fiction.

Casablanca, because of Humphrey Bogart.

Galaxy Quest- very funny spoof.

Princess Bride, because the actors are so good.

Chariots of fire because of the music and the story.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone because of Harry's wide-eyed wonder and because of Hogwarts.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby FallenStars&Angels » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:53 am

awesome pics Bmat! Casablanca and the Princess Bride are some of my all time favorites as well!!! I divide mine into categories. just because im wierd that way. so here is a selection of my favorite flicks:

Best Disney Movie: Beauty and the Beast, because i love it so much more than all the others. Belle is the only brunette princess (some people say "what about mulan?" a)mulan's hair is black, not brown. 2) mulan is not a princess. she was not born a princess, and she married a general. not a prince. so ha.) plus the yellow dress is to die for. and the singing, and the acting, and the things that shouldn't talk but do...it's just an awesome movie. and if you get the chance, go to New York and see it onstage, it is completely amazing!!!

Best Tim Burton Movie: this is such a hard one ot pick, because everything this man touches turns to gold. he is a genius. long live tim. but anyway my pick for him is Edward Scissorhands. it stars two of my favorite actors of all time (johnny depp and winona ryder) not to mention vincent price and dianne wiest...and it is so sad but so funny, and beautiful and now i have to go watch it again lol i love it

Best Robert Rodriguez Movie: sharkboy and lavagirl in 3d. ha yeah right. i loved Desperado. the music was great, the action was awesome, and add that the antonio banderas's drool factor, boy howdy did this movie rock

Best Feel Good Movie: Dirty Dancing. this movie has everything. love. fighting. botched medical procedures. jerry orbach. dancing (duh). "Nobody puts Baby in a corner!"

Best Love Movie(aka Best Chick Flick): Shakespeare in Love. *melt* the sets and costumes are gorgeous, and the story is just...and the love...and the shakespeare...and the acting...*sigh* this is the movie that taught me that billy shakespeare was sexy

Best Depressing Movie: The Crow. brandon lee died making it, which makes it more depressing, and it was pretty depressing to begin with, but i love it all the same.

Best Chinese Stylized Martial Arts Movie: Hero. I've seen hero, crouching tiger hidden dragon, and house of flying daggers, and they are ALL wonderful, i liked hofd for the love story and the choreography at the beginning, and cthd for the love story (they all have love stories but i liked that one best) hero was the best visually, i absolutely loved how every scence had its own color scheme. and the part where all those long silk type banner thingies are all billowy and they're fighting, wow.

there are a whole bunch more (i'm a movie freak) but this is the crem de la crem. thanks for letting me rant!
FallenStars&Angels
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby aldan » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:27 pm

Like we had a choice??

*grins*

This is tough. In examining the movies that I enjoy, I've found that humour needs to be a part of the film. I don't mean that the film has to be a comedy, per se, but only that it needs to take itself a bit lightly.

For example: Princess Bride. That one had it all, being a fantasy with the stereotypical love story (and it was said, right off, that they meant it to be that way, at least in the novel), the youth who goes away and becomes a hero, the vengeful (Inigo Montoya) fighter, the stupid, strong, heart-of-gold character (who actually isn't as stupid as he might seem), plus the cool-headed evil guy, the cackling evil guy (with his two bumbling co-horts, of course), plus all of the side characters, from the torturer to the priest to the healer and his wife. They were all just done so well!

However, there are more...

Willow, due only to Val Kilmer's character - funny!

Holy Grail. 'nough said.

Benny and Joon, because it had a quirky sort of love story, some fun, but tragically real characters, and Johnny Depp (who is a great actor, and did a very good job in this movie... and he chooses very good movies to act in).

Grosse Pointe Blank, due to its theme of the whole "I'm not who you thought I was, I didn't turn out as you thought I would, but I am who you knew" sort of feel to it (plus it had John Cusak in it, another guy who chooses great scripts for the most part).

Blade Runner - now this one didn't have that humor in it, but for its time, it was groundbreaking! It had a real sci-fi feel to it, without it being the whole "space goobers" movie-type of science fiction film. Looking at the cast now, you can see that it was loaded, but the film wasn't really advertised as you'd think it would've been. List of the better known members of the cast: Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Edward James Olmos, and Daryl Hannah. The story itself was a real brain scratcher about what it is to be human and what it is to be alien, and how we as humans perhaps need to start looking at that which we create as being a part of us, rather than as a totally in-human thing. If you don't know what I mean, go see this film.

Ladyhawke, not necessarily because of the script, but because of the characters... played by Rutger Hauer, Michelle Pfeiffer and Matthew Broderick

The Crow, which was mentioned before, which was just an enjoyable, dark flick, made darker by the tragic, foolish mistake Brandon Lee (Bruce Lee's son) made which got him killed.

Oh, and there are more, but I haven't the time to list them all... perhaps later.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby FantasyMan » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:20 pm

ZOOLANDER HANDS DOWN well....tied with maybe the lotr series and some other but i really enjoyed zoolander for the puns and just how stupid it was made it funny. I like movies like that[/img]
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place
FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Frøya » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:30 pm

my favorite movie, should I choose one, would have to be Pirates of the Caribbean.

the reason for this is because a) pirates - captain Jack Sparrows was just the best :D b) the humor c) the curse and the skeltons

the movie was just awesome and I can't wait until the next one comes out
Frøya
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Neurolanis » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:14 pm

My favorite would be, either "A Christmas Carol" starring Alister Sim, or, "Tommy" -- the Who's artsy super-lively rock opera. In both cases the characters are troubled outsiders, and in both cases they come to see the light. I care deeply for these characters partly as I identify with them, plus I think they're very well written, acted, and directed films. :)
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby ScottSF » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:50 pm

"that deaf dumb and blind kid sure plays a mean pinball..." yay I don't feel so old if someone else remembers Tommy.

My fav has to be a tie: Lord of the Rings (let just say all three are one big movie) and The Color purple (makes me weep and I'm a big tough guy :p )

Others at the top of the list:
Apocalyps Now: Dark, enthrawling, and Morpheus was only 16 in it. (Back when Lawrence Fishburn was called "Larry"

Leolo: French Canadian movie about a brilliant kid who is surrounded by mental illness. Very harsh, if disturbing images put you off I would skip this one.

Brassed off: Makes me weep almost as bad as Color purple - It's about a brass band in an England Mining town. (MgGregor is in it)

12 Monkeys: "We don't make anything anymore. What are we for then WHAT ARE WE FOR THEN, WE'RE CONSUMERS!" Most anything by Terry Gilliam is a cut above the rest.

Funniest movie: Brain Candy by Kids in the Hall. Not too many agree with me on this but that's ok. The movie went past making me laugh straight to a coma.

Second funniest movie: Schitzopolis. This one is absolutely nuts. After seeing it twice the puzzle pieces fit together, it's a rare movie where Steven Soderbergh actually acts, and he's very funny. This movie is non-linear, some actors play more than one character without any makeup changes, In someparts people speak in surreal nonsense that makes sense only to them and sometime people speak only in subtext... I can't say enough about it.

Yeah, I like movies
Time flies like an Arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
-Groucho Marx
ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Anthentar » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:36 pm

I wonder, has anyone here ever seen Canadian Bacon? It's one of John Candy's movies and a very special one indeed. It's set in America just after the Cold War ended. The president doesn't think it's fair that all of his predicessors had the Russians to blame everything on while he gets slammed for everything.

He decides to try and get the Cold War going again, but when the Russians refuse (telling him not to be a sore winner), he turns on the first country to come up on the radar... Canada. John Candy (playing an American living in Fort Niagara) and his friends are caught up in this fiasco thinking that they are the first line of defence for the USA.

It includes such memorable moments as the public service announcment explaining that due to the increase in suicides after the weapons plant shut down, police are being offered bonuses: $50 for everyone they convince not to jump and $100 for every body they haul out of the river. Oh, and the garbage raid when Candy and his buddies cross the Niagara and start spreading garbage all over the Canadian beaches under the watch of two mounties on horses who sit there arguing about the proper pronounciation of their threats

"She's been moved to the capital."
"I see, Toronto it is then."
"No. The capital is Ottawa."
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146
Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Next

Return to Movies