speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

What be your favorite Movie and why?

Seen a great movie or video lately? Heard a juicy rumor about an upcoming release? Share your reviews and thoughts with us!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Bmat » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:45 pm

Anthentar wrote:I wonder, has anyone here ever seen Canadian Bacon? It's one of John Candy's movies and a very special one indeed. It's set in America just after the Cold War ended. The president doesn't think it's fair that all of his predicessors had the Russians to blame everything on while he gets slammed for everything.

He decides to try and get the Cold War going again, but when the Russians refuse (telling him not to be a sore winner), he turns on the first country to come up on the radar... Canada. John Candy (playing an American living in Fort Niagara) and his friends are caught up in this fiasco thinking that they are the first line of defence for the USA.

It includes such memorable moments as the public service announcment explaining that due to the increase in suicides after the weapons plant shut down, police are being offered bonuses: $50 for everyone they convince not to jump and $100 for every body they haul out of the river. Oh, and the garbage raid when Candy and his buddies cross the Niagara and start spreading garbage all over the Canadian beaches under the watch of two mounties on horses who sit there arguing about the proper pronounciation of their threats

"She's been moved to the capital."
"I see, Toronto it is then."
"No. The capital is Ottawa."

Oh yes!! Canadian Bacon is one of my favorite movies!

"Toronto is the capital of Canada?! Do we look that stupid?!"

Yeah, the $100 for every body they pulled out of the water. They stand there yelling "Jump! Jump!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I like all of the John Candy movies. Uncle Buck is another that is very entertaining. Love the scene with the birthday pancake the size of the table. :lol: :lol:

Armed and Dangerous. :lol:

Planes Trains and Automobiles is a little more serious and a good movie.

Summer Rental- some very funny scenes.

Hmm- can't think of the others.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Neurolanis » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:49 pm

I love those John Candy films too! :)
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby ScottSF » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:36 pm

I forgot 7 Samurai, the black and white Kurosawa film, not the anime remake.

then of course Hidden Fortress, Kurosawa also. This film was on of the main inspirations for starwars.

Then thinking of Kurosawa makes me think of something he once said: "Not seeing the films of Satyajit Ray is like living on earth and not seeing the moon. So Satyajit Ray's Charulatta is really high on the list.
Time flies like an Arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
-Groucho Marx
ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby doctor_odd » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:44 am

Hm... hard to guess for me...

BEST JOSS WHEDON MOVIE: Serenity
BEST SCI FI MOVIE: Serenity
BEST COMEDY MOVIE: Serenity
BEST TEAR-JERKER: Serenity
BEST ACTION MOVIE: Serenity
BEST TWIST: Serenity
BEST 'BREAKING THE MOLD' MOVIE: Serenity
BEST HORROR MOVIE: Serenity
BEST FAMILY MOVIE: Serenity
BEST SPACE BATTLE MOVIE: Serenity
BEST DRAMA: Serenity
BEST INTELECTUAL MOVIE: Serenity
BEST THRILLER: Serenity
MOST SHOCKING: Serenity
BEST USE OF THE WORD "Ruttin'": Serenity

I guess I don't really know my favorite... :twisted:
Assasin: "You know what your sin is?"
Malcolm Reynolds: "Hell, I'm a fan of all seven, but right now I'd have to go with wrath."
-SERENITY-
doctor_odd
New User
New User

Location: Somewhere cold and damp that reeks of watermelon...

Postby doctor_odd » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:46 am

Oops I forgot to mention my favorite movie: Serenity.

...I've made my point and shall move on...
Malcolm Reynolds: "Hell, I'm a fan of all seven, but right now I'd have to go with wrath."
-SERENITY-
doctor_odd
New User
New User

Postby Bmat » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:14 am

doctor_odd wrote:Oops I forgot to mention my favorite movie: Serenity.

...I've made my point and shall move on...

:lol: :lol:
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Favorite Movie

Postby Darukin » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:49 am

Lol :lol:
I've heard of Serenity recently, my brother told me it was really good, he saw it, but I never got the chance to see it myself. Being your favorite movie I guess it must be worth seeing.
Otherwise, if you ask me, answering which is my favorite movie would be near impossible. There are too many good ones out there :?
So how to compare??
Darukin
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby doctor_odd » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:23 pm

lol It is really good, but might I suggest brushing up on the series Firefly before the movie? It would probably help you to understand better.
-SERENITY-
doctor_odd
New User
New User

Postby Neurolanis » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:21 pm

I've been hearing a lot of good things about this "Serenity". What is it about?? :?:
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby ScottSF » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:29 pm

ok, I'll explain since I'm awake and hyper.

Serenity is a movie based on the fox show firefly that lasted only one season but is much beloved by those few that gave it a chance. It's like a space western but don't let that hold you back. I'll just get to the movie for now.

Serenity is about a group of outlaws (good people stickin it to the man) who have a girl on their ship that the big government people want very much. It seems they did a lot of experiments on her and value her highly. The experiments sorta made her crazy. The outlaw crew of the Firefly class transport space ship Serenity, are both protective and affraid of this girl. There's a very scary government covert opps guy after the girl. That's the move.

Same goes for the TV series, but the government agent is a new addition in the movie.

It doesn't make my top list of all time movies but it's very close to the top of my list of movies with space ships. I liked the movie so much I bought the TV series too.

Hope that helps Neuro
Time flies like an Arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
-Groucho Marx
ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Caltana » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:39 am

My favourite film of all time has to be 'The Big Lebowski,' with Jeff Bridges and John Goodman. It is the best character film ever made hands down and the characters extremely original. innovative and nothing like you've ever seen before, they just seem so real because they're so over the top in their own way and you know what they say about truth being stranger than fiction. :)

The dialogue is quirky, funny and surreal and the story unpredictable. In today's modern age with all the formulaic blockbusters and repetitive chick flicks it is a real film lovers film. I've never seen any film that tops it in terms of genius. :D
"Hell? There is no Heaven, there is no Hell, there is only this place, the Land Of The Dead, my friend..."
-Kevin Heinz Fischer-Oakley.
Caltana
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Qray » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:52 am

Caltana have you seen Raising Arizona with Nicholas Cage?
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

PreviousNext

Return to Movies