speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

New Doctor Who

Is Sci-Fi TV your passion? Come on in and discuss your favorite genre TV shows.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Re: New Doctor Who

Postby Spiderkeg » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:31 pm

Qray wrote:What was your take on Christopher Eccleston's portrayal of the Doctor? Though I like Eccleston, when I first heard about him being cast as the Doctor, I thought it was an odd choice. But once I saw him, I enjoyed Eccleston's "sub commander" version of the Doctor and was sorry to see him go.

I think Matt Smith as the Doctor is another odd casting choice and like you, I'm not so sure it'll turn out well, but I'll also have to wait and see how he does.

Very refreshing to meet an incarnation of the Doctor who enjoyed wearing a black leather jacket. Now that's awesome. Eccleston grew on me, and by the end, I liked the relationship forming between him and Rose. However, you can't deny that Tennant and Piper had this mind blowing natural chemistry together, which translated very well with the Doctor and Rose.

The Doctor character has always been an older (not always old) gentleman with a distinguished personality and towering presence. Now, suddenly, the Doctor is young (in body). How is anyone older than the Doctor (again, in body) supposed to take him seriously? People naturally look up to the older, more experienced, guy in the room. How is anyone going to do the same with the younger, still experienced, guy in the room? I just hope this doesn't become Doctor Who 90210!
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Qray » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:01 pm

I see what you mean by the age differences between the Doctor and his companions. What may compound the problem is that regardless of who's portrayed the Doctor, they've always played him as a character with a child-like wonder of the Universe. So how will that work with a young actor? A young actor acting child-like?

Spiderkeg wrote:...However, you can't deny that Tennant and Piper had this mind blowing natural chemistry together, which translated very well with the Doctor and Rose.

That may have something to do with the way Piper's eye batting could butter parsnips. See my next post to see what I mean. :wink:
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

David Tennant Interview & Speed Lap

Postby Qray » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:13 pm

Watch Top Gear interview David Tennant and see his speed lap around their track. Notice how thick his accent gets when he starts talking about Scotland (he says Skoda, btw. Not "Scooter.") Find out why Billy Piper calls him David Teninch, why her eyelid fluttering can butter parsnips, and should David have worn a see-through top.

David Tennant Top Gear/BBC Interview & Speed Lap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKmschnepXg
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Spiderkeg » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:14 am

Qray wrote:I see what you mean by the age differences between the Doctor and his companions. What may compound the problem is that regardless of who's portrayed the Doctor, they've always played him as a character with a child-like wonder of the Universe. So how will that work with a young actor? A young actor acting child-like?
Doctor Who 90210. Good Lord I hope not!

Qray wrote:That may have something to do with the way Piper's eye batting could butter parsnips. See my next post to see what I mean. :wink:
I'll have to check this out. I always like watching interviews of these two.
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:49 pm

I watched the premiere of the new season of "Doctor Who" last night.

Liked Matt Smith as the new Doctor

Hated the new version of the opening theme song. It made Dominic Glynn's version (which was bad) that was used in "Trial of a Time Lord" sound good (my personal favorites are the Peter Howell version and the Keff McCulloch version). But I did like the opening credits visually.
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:12 am

I like the fact that recent Doctor Who seasons have tried to tie up a lot of loose ends that the original series left, but there is one lingering question that they really need to answer:

WHAT HAPPENED TO ACE? (some say that the Seventh Doctor sent her to Gallifrey to study to become a "Time Lady")
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby who me » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:05 pm

hear is a link to the cover of river songs diary

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/d1 ... jacket.pdf

now if any of you find the inside, that i would like to see
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:45 am

The one thing I really wish they would bring back in the series is all the really great cliffhangers (the original Doctor Who had TONS of them). The only good ones they had so far in the last few years was "Aliens of London" (3 cliffhangers in one epidode!) and the one in the first season where the Doctor saved Rose from a fleet of Dalek ships.

Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby jamesadams01 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:32 am

This is a good show. But I see only 1st season of this show. This is a adventure and drama show. All chracters performing good acting in this show. David Tennant, Matt Smith and Karen Gillan they both doing good acting.
jamesadams01
Just Registered
Just Registered

Previous

Return to Television