speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

New Doctor Who

Is Sci-Fi TV your passion? Come on in and discuss your favorite genre TV shows.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby SirJill » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:47 pm

*Jill bangs her head repeatedly against a wall*

I have a love/hate relationship with Russel T. Davies. The season four finale is...well, it makes me want to bang my head against a wall for a reason. I won't spoil anything, but I will say that I feel the events are horribly justified.

More episodes like Blink!

Although, I will say that I have a bit more respect for Donna Noble, now. Not much, but some.
"I want to sit down, every day at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember. And do the same thing--for the rest of my life."

--Johnny Can't Decide, Tick, tick...Boom! by Jonathan Larson
SirJill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby who me » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:08 am

Blink was very very good. possibly one of the best episodes of all.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Dark Knight » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:32 pm

Well season 4 will START in NZ, on Sunday...
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby Dark Knight » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:59 pm

I was looking forward to Doctor Who, but part way thou, a program for babies started, it had these little white blobs running around...but much to my disappointment it was not a baby program, it was Doctor Who.

I am not sure who thought up this ep, but come on Doctor who is not for preschoolers...
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Re: New Doctor Who

Postby Dark Knight » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:03 pm

"Midnight", was an annoying ep....
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:33 pm

It's Official: David Tennant Has Left Doctor Who
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Qray » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:41 pm

From the BBC as reported by the AP : "He [David Tennant] will appear in a Christmas special and four hour-long episodes to be aired in 2009 and early 2010. But he said Wednesday that when the series returns for a full season in 2010, "it won't be with me."

Any word on who's going to be tapped to replace Tennant? What's Christopher Eccleston doing these days? It'd be awesome to see him back in the role of the Doctor.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:21 pm

Meet the new Doctor!:

BBC's website

[offtopic]Advertisement
Matt Smith takes over from David Tennant

Matt Smith has been named as the actor who will take over from David Tennant in Doctor Who - making him the youngest actor to take on the role.

At 26, Smith is three years younger than Peter Davison when he signed up to play the fifth Doctor in 1981.

Smith will first appear on TV screens as the 11th Doctor in 2010.

He was cast over Christmas and will begin filming for the fifth series of Doctor Who in the summer. Tennant is filming four specials in 2009.

Smith was named as Tennant's replacement in Saturday's edition of Doctor Who Confidential on BBC One.

The programme was watched by an audience of 6.9 million people at its peak, according to official overnight figures.

The actor said: "I feel proud and honoured to have been given this opportunity to join a team of people that has worked so tirelessly to make the show so thrilling.

"David Tennant has made the role his own, brilliantly, with grace, talent and persistent dedication. I hope to learn from the standards set by him.

"The challenge for me is to do justice to the show's illustrious past, my predecessors, and most importantly, to those who watch it. I really cannot wait."

Piers Wenger, head of drama at BBC Wales, said that as soon as he had seen Smith's audition he "knew he was the one".

The 11 Doctors

1. William Hartnell (1963-1966)
2. Patrick Troughton (1966-1969)
3. Jon Pertwee (1970-1974)
4. Tom Baker (1974-1981)
5. Peter Davison - pictured (1982-1984)
6. Colin Baker (1984-1986)
7. Sylvester McCoy (1987-1996)
8. Paul McGann (1996)
9. Christopher Eccleston (2005)
10. David Tennant (2005-2010)
11. Matt Smith (2010 - ?)

"It was abundantly clear that he had that 'Doctor-ness' about him," he said. "You are either the Doctor or you are not. It's just the beginning of the journey for Matt.

"With Steven Moffat's scripts and the expertise of the production team in Cardiff behind him, there is no one more perfect to be taking the Tardis to exciting new futures when the series returns in 2010."

Wenger said a broad range of people had been auditioned, but they had not set out to cast the youngest Doctor.

Smith's TV debut was in the 2006 adaptation of Philip Pullman's The Ruby in the Smoke, which starred former Doctor Who companion Billie Piper as Sally Lockhart.

He has also acted opposite Piper in the follow-up, The Shadow in the North, and in ITV2's Secret Diary of a Call Girl.

In 2007, he had a leading role in BBC Two's political drama Party Animals, in which he played a parliamentary researcher.

Smith's stage work has included stints with theatre companies such as the Royal Court and National Theatre. His West End debut was in Swimming With Sharks opposite Christian Slater.

He was born in Northampton in 1982 and studied drama and creative writing at the University of East Anglia.

Creative team

Tennant said in October that he would stand down from the show after filming four special episodes in 2009.

Tennant is recovering from back surgery ahead of filming in 2009
The star is due to begin shooting the first special this month, just weeks after surgery on his back forced him to pull out of a London run of Hamlet.

The last of these special episodes is expected to run in early 2010.

With a new creative team in place for the 2010 series led by executive producers Steven Moffat and Piers Wenger, the casting of the Doctor was the first job to be completed before scripts could be finalised.

Doctor Who began in 1963, and seven actors played the Doctor before the show was dropped in 1989.

After a TV movie in 1996 - starring Paul McGann - the TV series returned in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston in the lead role. Tennant took over the same year.[/offtopic]
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:43 pm

Every Doctor Who fan needs to see the "Doctor Who gets rickrolled" video:

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QVHw5nGDi4[/BBvideo]

Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Doctor Who doesn't use social networking Sites.

Postby Qray » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:49 am

As reported on david-tennant.com

Internet Imposters

The BBC have reminded fans yet again that David does not use any social networking sites or forums. They have issued the following statement:

There have been several recent cases of people posing as David Tennant and other members of the Doctor Who cast in Internet chat rooms and forums - as well as setting up social networking profiles in their names.

So fans are not disappointed or misled, we'd like to point out that both David Tennant and incoming Eleventh Doctor Matt Smith do not use social networking websites, chatrooms or forums. They wouldn't want fans to think that anyone who uses these are talking to the real actors.

For their own safety, we would strongly advise all Doctor Who fans to ignore any such postings and not be fooled by these impersonators - it will never be David Tennant or Matt Smith online.
Qray

Postby Spiderkeg » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:46 pm

/sigh

I'm seriously going to give Matt Smith a chance, but I'm already not going to like this. David Tennant is still so damn fitting as the Doctor, like some morbid second skin, and this sheer charisma with the other actors was a huge selling point for the show's success. The final two part specials were both fantastic, and depressing, as his exit loomed ever closer.

Well, on the bright side, at least David Tennant can still come back in some fashion since his "clone" is still out there, somewhere, living a happy life with Rose Tyler.

Long live the 10th!
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Qray » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:13 am

What was your take on Christopher Eccleston's portrayal of the Doctor? Though I like Eccleston, when I first heard about him being cast as the Doctor, I thought it was an odd choice. But once I saw him, I enjoyed Eccleston's "sub commander" version of the Doctor and was sorry to see him go.

I think Matt Smith as the Doctor is another odd casting choice and like you, I'm not so sure it'll turn out well, but I'll also have to wait and see how he does.
Qray

PreviousNext

Return to Television