speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Firefly

Is Sci-Fi TV your passion? Come on in and discuss your favorite genre TV shows.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Magus » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:30 pm

Finished "Trash" last night.

:rofl:

Ironic, eh? Especially seeing what episode I was on in my last episode.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Alaskamatt17 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:46 am

When Serenity came out my roommate and I went to watch it because we'd heard it was sci-fi, which we both like. I have to say Serenity is my favorite movie of the year; I had more fun watching it than I had watching Revenge of the Sith, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Chronicles of Narnia, or King Kong (though these were all great movies, too).

After seeing the movie, my roommate bought the DVD set of Firefly and we watched the whole series straight through in two days with his brother. It is absolutely the best TV show I've ever seen.

My favorite episode is either "Objects in Space" or "Ariel," but I really like them all. I just watched "Shindig" tonight. It's so great. I really hope Serenity earns out on DVD so we can get a sequel.
After a certain high level of technical skill is achieved, science and art tend to coalesce in esthetics, plasticity, and form. The greatest scientists are always artists as well.
-Albert Einstein
Alaskamatt17
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby ScottSF » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:12 pm

I've noticed that people either absolutely love Firefly/Serenity or they have never heard of it. I try to spread the word. My local video store has dolar Wednesdays so I watched the whole series and still went out and bought it just to be supportive. My only gripe is I wish Josh did a little more research or even had an astronomer consultant to explain some scale issues. If their solar system has "dozens" of planets I'm guessing their sun is bigger than earth's. So it all takes place in one solar system but then Jayne says he's "been to the edge of space" I'm guessing he really means he's been to the edge of their solar system and they are talking about the space between stars. Of course the average person in the Firefly 'verse' may not be educated enough to know the difference just like people on earth now. I actually met someone who thought all the stars were planets! Sorry, I always go into this. I like the idea of a Giant sun with dozens of planets though. Imagin if there was an average 6 moons per planet and dozens means at least 24 so if you terraformed the moons also, that's lots of places to hide. 168 worlds without even leaving the local sun. I want the show to continue and give me answers! It seems that interstellar travel is not easily accessible in that world. I wonder if several generations lived on the ships that left earth before they found their current sun. I think Joss could handle the info without giving it a sterile star treky feel.
Time flies like an Arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
-Groucho Marx
ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby omnituton » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:19 pm

The truth?...I don't have televison..threw it out two years ago because there was never anything good on, so im a little out of touch with shows etc. Firefly the season boxset was just something I picked up because it was in the sci-fi section of the store and i hadn't seen it. I was dubious about it - not keen on the wild west / sci-fi genre cross over.....BUT

it was pretty good...and had some of the best and most natural comedy i've seen in a tv series in years. Some excellent one liners and brillent set ups that i suspect were just that little bit too irreverent for the suits in tv land. Baldwin " I'll be in my bunk" was brilliant and the only characters i couldn't really get into were the sheppard and the doc's sis...though i suspect had the series run they were going to play an ever more interesting role.

Now, i have a question. Like I said...I don't keep up with what's happening in tv/movie land, but people here are talking about the firefly series and a movie (Serenity?). Is this an actual movi im likely to find in my video store, or is it the tv pilot?...any info welcome.

Thanks
omnituton
New User
New User

Postby aldan » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:50 am

Serenity is a movie that was written and released after the series had been dropped. It seems meant at least partially to close the story lines of the television series, and at least partly to open new, more epic ones for a movie-going audience. I've not actually seen it yet, though, so I don't know if they succeeded or even really tried to do that or not. However, it was released in the theaters in the fall of 2005, and is now out on DVD, so it should be fairly easy to find.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby omnituton » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:36 pm

Thanks aldan...managed to pick up a copy today
omnituton
New User
New User

Postby Magus » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:21 pm

Aldan's right. I saw it and can very easily say that it succeeded in every endeavor, although I wish that some of the deleted scenes were incorporated into the movie. But, oh well.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby t_tibke » Tue May 09, 2006 9:55 am

Most of you probably know this, but for those 2 or so that don't, Firefly is created by Joss Whedon, the bloke who created Buffy (decent) and Angel (awesome) tv series.

In regards to the comments about comedy, I totally agree. Every bit of comedy Joss puts into his work is totally natural and incredibly effective. I say this, and my friends say that I "never laugh", so that's saying something.

If you like the character tensions and plots of Firefly, you'll love the Angel tv series (it ran 5 seasons and is avail on DVD) -- that is, of course, if you aren't solely a sci-fi addict and can get into vampires vs. demons type stuff.

Buffy ran 11 seasons I think, but it was lower budget when it started, and it has a little bit too much of a happy/teen feel for me in the first half of the seasons. I recommend Angel over Buffy, but once again, created by Joss Whedon, so there you go.
T_Tibke
t_tibke
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Dark Knight » Tue May 09, 2006 5:12 pm

I have seen one ep, of the show, they have just start playing it here in NZ.....I have not seen the movie....

It was alright, maybe I will like it more when I see more of it.....
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby Sindatur » Wed May 10, 2006 10:01 am

Dark Knight wrote:I have seen one ep, of the show, they have just start playing it here in NZ.....I have not seen the movie....

It was alright, maybe I will like it more when I see more of it.....

I never became as enchanted with it as FarScape or Babylon 5, but, it does get better as it goes along, and considering it only went for 13 episodes, it didn't really have much time to grow. I think it would've become a very good series (Better than Buffy or Angel) if it had been given time to blossom. It's definitely worth the time it takes to watch it, you won't feel like you wasted the time, and may even find yoursself loving it (as so many others do) by the time it's done.

They started at the beginning I hope (Picking up the Dr and the Preacher). Here is the original airing in the USA, they showed it out of order, which probably had something to do with it's early demise
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Dark Knight » Wed May 10, 2006 4:46 pm

Sindatur wrote: They started at the beginning I hope (Picking up the Dr and the Preacher). Here is the original airing in the USA, they showed it out of order, which probably had something to do with it's early demise

Yes they have started at the beginning.....
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby SirJill » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:37 am

"If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet that I will end you."

--Malcolm Renyolds

I...really love this show. My friend got me into it a few months ago, and I've only just seen the last of the DVDs. Seriously amazing, and has some of the best quotes ever.

'Our Mrs. Reynolds' is probably my favorite episode, specifically the part where Shepherd book talks to Mal about the 'special hell'. And then pops around the corner. I think I watched that about five times.

Now, my question is, does Serenity stand on its own, if you haven't seen the series? I haven't gotten a chance to see it yet.
"I want to sit down, every day at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember. And do the same thing--for the rest of my life."

--Johnny Can't Decide, Tick, tick...Boom! by Jonathan Larson
SirJill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Television