speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Firefly

Is Sci-Fi TV your passion? Come on in and discuss your favorite genre TV shows.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Sindatur » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:16 am

For someone unfamiliar with the series, yea, it works on it's own (I've only seen the series once), but, it helps close some of the threads from the all too short series.

Be sure to have a box of Kleenex handy, though. :cry:
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Bmat » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:14 pm

^^^^^

What Sindatur said.

One of the best series that I've watched. and a good movie.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Qray » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:33 pm

Inara: "So, explain to me again why Zoe wasn't in the dress?"
Mal: "Tactics, woman! Needed her in the back. 'Sides, them soft cotton dresses feel kind of nice. There's a whole airflow."
Inara: "And you would know that because...?"
Mal: "You can't open the book of my life and jump in the middle. Like women, I'm a mystery."
Inara: "Best keep it that way. I withdraw the question."

I think the narrative voice over in the begining of the movie sets up the universe that Firefly/Serenity is set in quite nicely and allows people who haven't seen the series to get a feel for it.

The back story flashbacks in the movie with River explained why the Alliance were after her which people might not have normally gotten w/o watching the series. There could've been a little more informaton/back story for the rest of the crew members so that the veiwer could know why they acted the way they did, but with less than two hours to tell a story, I think it was done quite well. However, I'd seen the series, so I guess I'm not the berst person to comment on how the movie could stand alone.

All I can say is that while having seen the series and not originally being a die hard fan browncoat, after seeing the movie on DVD, I immediately rewatched to twice in a row. I found it that good.

"Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
-Mal
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby sindarella » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:04 pm

i saw serenity a couple of months ago with only the vaguest idea that it was linked to a series. i loved the movie and found that it stood alone, without me having any idea of the backstory/characters etc.

i got the dvds of firefly out this week - w/o realising its connection to serenity and was very pleasantly surprised! i love them! is there really only the one series??? and if so wwwwwwwwhhhhhhyyyy??!!! (long, drawn out, melodramatic cry of anguish)

:P
sindarella
New User
New User

Postby Qray » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:22 am

Probably for the same reason JMS had to fight so hard to get the 5th season of B5 aired.

Sometimes quality isn't appreciated.

I'm sure we'll have some more shows with stars dancing, or people eating something really nasty, or another scripted "reality" show soon. Just be patient. :roll:
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Desslok » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:18 pm

Just got around to watching this show. I never watched Buffy or Angel, so I didn't know what to expect. I'm really enjoying it. Just have the last episode and the movie to watch.

I impressed myself while watching "War Stories." There's a scene where Zoe, Jayne, and Book reach the scene of the ambush, and you can see cars driving on a highway in the distance. I was just about to add that to the IMDb page as a goof, but it looks like someone else picked that up too. :D

Jayne's awesome...
Desslok
New User
New User

Postby SirJill » Wed May 02, 2007 10:33 am

I highly enjoy the episode where they return to Jayne's home, to find out that he has become a local hero and a statue of him has been created out of mud.

That and Mal running around pretending to be in charge of things.

So, favorite characters? I know, I know, it's hard to choose, but put it this way; make a list.

1. Kaylie
2. Dr. Simon Tam
3. Wash
4. Malcolm
5. Inara
6. Zoe
7. Shepherd Book
8. Jayne
9. River
"I want to sit down, every day at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember. And do the same thing--for the rest of my life."

--Johnny Can't Decide, Tick, tick...Boom! by Jonathan Larson
SirJill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Loxley » Wed May 02, 2007 10:52 am

Whaat? Jayne as number 8? No way... :D My list:

1. Kaylie. (I think I have a crush on her, seriously :lol: ).
2. Jayne
3. Malcolm
4. Book
5. Inara
6. Zoe
7. Wash
8. River
9. Simon Tamm
Celtic - An alternate history RP

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby SirJill » Wed May 02, 2007 10:59 am

Nooooo! You don't like Simon? But Simon's sooooo sexy.

Actually, they're all pretty. I don't think Whedon could have cast any more attractive people.

I dunno. Jayne's a laugh, but he's still not my laugh. I think my favorite Jayne moment is in 'Our Mrs. Reynolds', where Mal encounters him in the hall, with his gun. Of course, Mal, like a sensible person thinks he's about to get shot, when in reality, all Jayne wants to do is trade.

I like Kaylie because, well, she's pretty, but she's also got substance to her. Same reason I like Wash. At first he seems like a pushover, but really, he's not. It's just when it comes to Zoe.

I don't like River. She...she's boring, frankly. However, I do find it ironic that the actress who plays her is named 'Summer'.
"I want to sit down, every day at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember. And do the same thing--for the rest of my life."

SirJill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Loxley » Wed May 02, 2007 11:08 am

Hehe, yeah, Jayne's a laugh. In fact, I got to go and look at "Jaynestown" once I'm done writing this, haha. (I hate it they didn't include the song from that episode in the soundtrack :evil: ) Yeah, Whedon did a really good job with these characters. It's a shame he killed off Wash and Book in Serenity. :(

Yeah, Kaylie rocks. She's so....err, what word to use? Innocent? Anyway, she's definitely my favorite. I don't like River either, I just used her as an excuse to put Simon last. 8) He just gives me a frightful headache, haha. And I think Jayne's WAY more sexy than him. :)

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby SirJill » Wed May 02, 2007 11:13 am

...I think I'm going to cry.

Wash and Book die in Serenity? No! No no no! Wash can't die! Shepherd Book! No! Not fair.

That's really upsetting.

Why? I mean, granted, there might not be as much to Simon as there is to, say, Zoe and Mal, and, heck, I'll throw in Inara too, but...I think that when he makes his presence known (yes, he's a bit of a background character, unless the episode focuses on him) it is definitely known.

I tend to prefer the earlier episodes, where he's dressed all pretty and formally and is easily outraged.

SirJill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Loxley » Wed May 02, 2007 11:19 am

........ooops..... :lol: Sorry to ruin it for you. Then again, if they decide to pick up the series again, I'm pretty sure both Wash and Book will be in it since the movie is placed like a year after the series, or something like that.

Nah, I think he's a boring guy. I like the rougher dudes who can shoot everyone, shoot some more, and then when everyone is dead, try to ask a question or two, haha. That's Jayne for you, hahaha. I mean, seriously, have Simon even kicked a single ass in the series? Not that I can remember. I don't even think he kicked Jubal Early in the end. Though he did get beat up in Jaynestown, that was a blast. :P I love that episode.

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Television