speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

What's going on with the SciFi Channel?

Is Sci-Fi TV your passion? Come on in and discuss your favorite genre TV shows.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Magus » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:18 pm

I heard about that SciFi original movies for it a long while ago from my sister, who's by far nerdier and more well connected in such channels than I am. So, while I can't show you a definitive source pertaining to it, I can assure you that she herself is a reliable source, for what that's worth.

Pertaining to the theatrical movie... same thing, I heard it from her, about 6 months after the DVD release. The movie, theatrically, grossed, worldwide, about $38,800,000. It had a budget of $39,000,000. Not a total loss, but it still fell short to recoup the costs of making it. However, the DVD sales did FAR better than anybody ever anticipated, enough to show studio executives that there's a viable and potentially lucrative niche market for it. So, we can only wait and see what happens.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:19 pm

Alas... Wikipedia smotes all of our dreams:

Sequels

Fans of Firefly had hoped that if Serenity was successful, it might lead either to a revival of the television series or a film franchise (colloquially referred to as the "Big Damn Trilogy", or BDT). The former was always unlikely, since Fox still owns the Firefly television rights and Joss Whedon refuses to work for Fox again.[71] Fans' hopes for further theatrical films appear to have been partially dashed by Serenity's mediocre box office showing. However, on December 1, 2005, IGN Filmforce reported that Universal had expressed an interest in making a Serenity TV movie for broadcast on the Sci Fi Channel (which is owned by Universal), and eventual DVD sale. It is expected that commissioning of a television sequel would be contingent on strong DVD sales of Serenity.[72]

On June 23, 2006 a number of fans organized and spread word of "Serenity Day," on which all fans were proposed to purchase a copy of Serenity in an attempt to convince Universal that a sequel would be profitable. The significance of this day is that June 23, 2006, is the one-year anniversary of the third and final advance screening of Serenity prior to its release, and also Joss Whedon's birthday. The impact of the event could be seen from Serenity reaching #2 in the Amazon DVD Charts.[73] the highest ranking the DVD reached since January 16, 2006.[74]

On October 1, 2006, Whedon posted a comment to the Whedonesque.com website, responding to a rumor that he was currently working on a sequel to Serenity. He wrote, "There's no sequel, no secret project regarding Serenity or somesuch and I'm not even sure how anyone thought there was talk there. I've seen Nathan and Tim (and Summer and Alan) recently because they're my friends because I'm so, yeah, awesome. So let's put that to bed and smother it with a pillow."[75]

Whedon's response to the rumor consequently sparked many websites to publish articles stating that he would never do a sequel to Serenity. Joss again returned to Whedonesque.com to respond to the new stories and wrote, "Holy Mother of Oats! I turn my back for five minutes (that's how long it takes to admire my lovely back) and the interweb goes banoonoos! Isn't there any ACTUAL news to get wrong? Sorry about all this; it might be best if I just stay off the computer for a while....Here's a thing: when Firefly was cancelled, my heart got broke. Sounds a bit much, but it changed me. Not even Serenity could patch that wound. I'm wearier, warier -- after all those years as a movie writer, you'd think I'd be prepared for another lesson on my unimportance in the scheme of things, but I wasn't....All these rumor of projects or the death of projects... When the two worlds align and something actually happens, whatever it is, you guys know I'll be on this site as soon as I'm allowed to be. And I'll be very very clear. There is no news. Not never, just now."[76]

Hope for the future, but a number of hurtles to jump through in order to get there (Wheddon himself being one such to leap over).
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby aldan » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:12 pm

Um, 'hurtles' are where you try to jump over them and only make it half way....
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Magus » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:41 pm

And did I say anything to the contrary? The suits are willing to pay for the movies (SciFi channel for one, Fox for another). However, Wheddon's most of the problem. Fox holds the rights to make it, and Wheddon won't work with them. Sci-Fi wants to make it, but Wheddon's currently not interested in the project.

We have the fiscal needs demanded, but not the creative ones.

As far as I see it, that means we made it half-way before Wheddon tripped us up.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Qray » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:17 pm

I can't really blame the guy. There is obviously some bad blood there. There are people that I won't work with anymore no matter what the money is.

Perhaps Wheddon thinks he was able to tell the story he wanted with Serenity and anything else would be gravy, so he's willing to wait until he gets what he wants. [shrug]

Then again, look at the support of all the Browncoats. They did a lot to get Serenity made, should Wheddon be somewhat beholdingto them to try and make another?
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Magus » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:34 pm

This is beginning to seem a bit too much like Peter Jackson and New Lone for my tastes...

:(
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Jagged » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:51 pm

The problem is they do stupid stuff. Like the Dresen files. It could have been a really good TV series for several seasons but it would have had to be structured in a non traditional manar. If they started with the first book Storm front and made it into say a 3 episode ark then moved to the Second Book and had that as a 3 or 4 episode arc. And just kept going from book to book it would have been so much better. Now it's simply a super natural crime drama and not very entertaining. They also felt the need to change alot of stuff that really didn't need to be changed. Just keep it as close to the books (which have been selling) as possible.

It could have been good and I was really excited. Now I'm even more convinced in Sci-Fi's dedication to putting out crap and hoping to just survive.
Jagged
New User
New User

Postby who me » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:17 am

why do we not send them a well written letter telling them what we think, we are probably are a good sampling of there target audience.

HEY! you calling me a SF nerd?
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Qray » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:52 pm

Jagged wrote:It could have been good and I was really excited. Now I'm even more convinced in Sci-Fi's dedication to putting out crap and hoping to just survive.

And now they've put on Special Unit 2 (which originally aired on UPN for two seasons from April 2001 through February 2002,) in the luciously prime time Friday night slot. Yet another failed show that's pulling in lower ratings than SG-1 (as was John Doe and Jake 2.0)

Now I like all these shows. Special Unit 2 especially had some really interesting charcters on their cast. Michael Landes as Nick O'Malley, Richard Gant as Capt. Page, and Danny Woodburn as the gnome Carl.

However, it's just another example of putting a lower ratings show in place of a higher one (SG-1.) The only thing that would make sense is that they were paying a comet load for SG-1. That's all I can figure out that makes sense.

I still maintain that cartoons can be a big boost for the Scifi Channel's ratings. Stuff like Robotech, Transformers, and the like during the day or late afternoon/early evening and then stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Fooly Cooly, or even Akira or the Final Fantasy movies, and other more "adult themed" fair for that Friday Night prime time spot. If we're going to with stereotypes (hi pim! ;-]) all the nerds are home Friday night (me, I have no money to go out tonight ;-p ) So they'd be salivating all over themselves to tune in to that kind of stuff. And it still maintains the Scifi Channels "scifi-ness" as opposed to say...wrestling.

Everything else they do seems to shoot themselves in the foot. All the movies they make themselves are sad to say, poor at best. And like Jagged mentioned about Dresden Files, the series they develop are lacking.
Qray

Postby Starfire » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:54 am

What ever happened to the good old days of Scifi. I used to love the Anti-gravity room and Scifi Buz. If they cannot license any good movies or series, they could at least keep us up to date on what is going on in the scifi world.

I am going to write a stronly worded letter demanding the return of Bob's basement. (Now that Mike Jerrick is no longer on Fox and friend's, he could ever return as host!) I like this idea of telling them why they suck and how to get better.
Starfire
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby aldan » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:14 pm

Of course, in order to read and understand the letter and criticism, they will need to remove the huge blinders they are wearing....
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Qray » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:50 pm

Ok, this is the first draft of the letter. Feedback and constructive criticism welcome. Let's make this a high speed, low drag, creation of utter logical brilliance...

Dear Sir or Madam,

Lately the Scifi Channel has SUCKED!

Stop sucking!

Thank you for your time. Live long and prosper.

The Science Fiction veiwing community.

What do you think, too succinct?
Qray

PreviousNext

Return to Television