What's going on with the SciFi Channel?

Is Sci-Fi TV your passion? Come on in and discuss your favorite genre TV shows.

Moderator: Bmat

who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by who me »

it that smeg with bacon and a biscuit?
read there web sight, to me in between the lines they are saying
we don't care about you because you nerds will put up with anything.
we are not interested in hearing form you.
or perhaps they are just not very competent.
I don't know. I cant wait for on demand Internet TV where you can program your own shows.
woohooo pim's manga marathon.

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Sindatur »

lastone wrote:
Sindatur wrote:
lastone wrote:
Qray wrote:John Doe did indeed originally air on Fox Network from 2002 to 2003, Sindatur.

BSG's rating are down since their move from Friday to Sunday nights.

Now, I may not like the Scifi Channel axing Firefly and SG-1, but if it really were because of failing ratings, I can understand. I don't like it, but I understand. However, it seems like they are actively trying to lower BSG's ratings. Whether it's through bad decisions, or intentional. Though for the life of me I couldn't understand we a cable channel would want the ratings of one of it's shows to drop. It's counter-productive.

Let us not forget that at the height of its popularity (Babylon5) Scifi also axed Crusade.

Nope, TNT Atlanta Suits sabotaged Crusade while it was in it's cradle, and cancelled it before it ever even aired a single episode, and they wouldn't allow it to be sold to anyone else, presumably because they didn't want to look like folls if it caught on. SciFi Channel, did however, pass on the Rangers series, but, that was because of 9/11 messing up the airing of the Superbowl, which played opposite the Pilot, and obviously detracted from the ratings, and SciFi Channel, didn't want to take a chance on those ratings for the piece of the pie they were getting. If Warner Bros had given them a bigger piece of the pie, or if the Superbowl hadn't detracted from the ratings, SciFi Channel may have taken Rangers to series.

Oh! Well that would explain why Scifi aired the first series and did not buy any others. Although I would imagine that a restraint of trade argument could have been made on the legal issues.

Yea, Crusade wasn't available to buy, and Rangers didn't perform well enough for them, given the piece of the revenue they got. Better ratings, or bigger chunk of the revenue, would've likely made things different for Rangers. Damn Al Quaeda took B5 away from us as well.

Who knows, when the Babylon 5: The Lost Tales disc comes out, SciFi channel may be interested in getting on board with it.

Qray

Post by Qray »

The re-imagined BSG (Battlestar Galactica) is/was the SciFi Channel's highest rated show.

SFC's recent mini-series "Tin Man," which is a re-imagined telling of the "Wizard of Oz," pulled in a 3.6 average household rating. That's enough to bring the program into 3.4 million homes and be watched by 5.3 million viewers. Which means the mini-series is the overall highest rated program the network has ever shown.

These two shows have two obvious similarities. One is that they both did very well in the ratings for SFC. The second is that they're both re-imagined tellings of previously seen stories.

So what, Q?

So what are the odds we'll see more re-imagined stories from the SFC and what might they be?
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by who me »

lord of the rings set in a sci fi setting directed by Steven Spielberg.
where the bobits have to bring the one disk to the mount main frame and erase it. so that the evil program Soron will be for ever erased!

who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by who me »

oh oh and harry potter!

Harry and voldermorte face each other. Harry is backed on to the edge of a cliff wounded.

voldermort:There is no escape. Don't make me destroy you.
[pauses]Harry, you do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover your power. Join me, and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict.
Harry: I'll never join you.
voldermorte: Your destiny lies with me Harry. Dumbledore knew this to be true.
Harry: No...
voldermorte:Harry *I* am your father.

Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by Merle »

who me wrote:lord of the rings set in a sci fi setting directed by Steven Spielberg.
where the bobits have to bring the one disk to the mount main frame and erase it. so that the evil program Soron will be for ever erased!

Q, that sounds eerily like the original Quest for Pathfinder Prime. :lol:
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.

Qray

Post by Qray »

Smeg, I hope no programming execs from the SFC read this thread.

Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by Merle »

LOL. Well, I think that the original Quest has been lost forever.

Qray

Post by Qray »

I've got some bits of it, but not the whole thing.

Qray

Post by Qray »

The re-imagined Wizard of Oz mini-series Tin Man will be rebroadcast this Sunday, March 9th at 2pm CST.

Qray

WTF?

Post by Qray »

So the SFC is showing a Mork and Mindy marathon today.

ALL DAY.

Why?

It's not the first of April or Halloween.

who me wrote:I don't know. I cant wait for on demand Internet TV where you can program your own shows.
woohooo pim's manga marathon.

I'd be happy just to be able to get my television on a "per channel basis." Pay for just the channels I want instead of "packages." I don't watch 75% of the channels I get.

Paying for just the "shows" I want would be the smeg, though. I could see such a concept changing the entire TV industry in that show ratings would no longer be derived from skinner boxes. A nearly 100% accurate reporting of viewer's preferences would lead TV execs learning about the real popularity of shows like Babylon5 and Firefly. Resulting in them getting the backing they deserved.

Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Re:

Post by Merle »

Qray wrote:The re-imagined BSG (Battlestar Galactica) is/was the SciFi Channel's highest rated show.

SFC's recent mini-series "Tin Man," which is a re-imagined telling of the "Wizard of Oz," pulled in a 3.6 average household rating. That's enough to bring the program into 3.4 million homes and be watched by 5.3 million viewers. Which means the mini-series is the overall highest rated program the network has ever shown.

These two shows have two obvious similarities. One is that they both did very well in the ratings for SFC. The second is that they're both re-imagined tellings of previously seen stories.

So what, Q?

So what are the odds we'll see more re-imagined stories from the SFC and what might they be?

Speaking of "Tin Man," did you know Zooey Deschanel has released a CD? I had heard she intended to, and quite by accident discovered it had been released earlier this year. "She & Him Volume 1" is available on Amazon and a few other places.