speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

SV's Top Science Fiction/Fantasy Television Poll

Is Sci-Fi TV your passion? Come on in and discuss your favorite genre TV shows.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

SV's Top Science Fiction/Fantasy Television Poll

Postby Qray » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:57 pm

Speculative Vision's Top Science Fiction/Fantasy Television Series Poll

Speculative Vision is now accepting nominations for a poll in which all of the Site's members will get a chance to rate the best Science Fiction/Fantasy television programs.

Television shows nominated don't need to be limited to programs currently being aired, just so long as they fit into the Science Fiction/Fantasy genre, including animated series.

To nominate a series, simply post its name in this thread. If possible, give a description of the program you're nominating and if you can, a reason why you think that it should be nominated.

This is an opportunity to get reacquainted with shows perhaps long forgotten, or learn of shows not previously seen. Please be courteous to other people's nominations.

The list of nominees so far (routinely updated.)
Alien Nation
Andromeda (Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda)
Babylon 5
Battlestar Galactica (The Original Series (1978))
Battlestar Galactica (Reimagined)
Bewitched
The Bionic Woman
Blakes 7
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Cowboy Bebop
Doctor Who
Earth 2
Fantastic Journey (1977)
Farscape
Firefly
Futurama
Gemini Man (1976)
Ghost Whisperer
Heroes
Highlander : The Series
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Hercules : The Legendary Journeys
The Invaders (1967)
Jeremiah
Logan's Run
Lost
Lost in Space
Man From Atlantis (1977-78)
Mutant X
MST3K (Mystery Science Theater 3000)
Night Stalker (Kolchak : The Night Stalker (1974))
Outer Limits (1963-1965, 1995-2002)
The Phoenix (1981)
Planet of the Apes (1974)
Quantum Leap
Quark (1977)
Red Dwarf
Robotech
SeaQuest DSV
The Six Million Dollar Man
Sliders
Space 1999
Space: Above and Beyond
Stargate : SG-1
Star Trek : DS9
Star Trek : Enterprise (Originally titled just "Enterprise.")
Star Trek : TNG
Star Trek : TOS
Star Trek : Voyager
Time Tunnel
The Twilight Zone
UFO (1970-1971)
V (1984)
Veritas
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Wonder Woman
Xena : Warrior Princess
X-Files

Post edited to update list of nominees. -Qray
Last edited by Qray on Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:57 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Qray » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:05 am

Just to clarify, it's not necessary to give a description of the program you're nominating, or a reason why you think that it should be nominated. However, it'd be an added benefit come voting time.
Qray

Postby Qray » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:21 am

Two nominations...

Robotech
Originally aired in the United States in 1985, Robotech was a 85-episode series composed of three different anime television series from Japan (The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeada) that were edited together to form one continuous series. Carl Macek, you da man!

I propose this series for a number of reasons. One is that it's story-lines were heavy in the science fiction genre. Dealing with such subjects as cloning, how technology effects society and culture, exploitation of new energy sources, etc.

Two, Robotech introduced the U.S. to anime. Yup, you can blame Robotech for it.

Three, even though it was an animated series, the show dealt with serious and adult topics. It didn't sugarcoat the effects of war or the human condition. Including the deaths of major characters and how the other characters dealt with such loss. This series rocked.

Red Dwarf
I actually read the books (Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers, and Red Dwarf: Better than Life) before I knew the television series even existed. Usually with British television series, when I read the books and then see the series, the series seems serious lacking. The comedic timing is usually way off (IMO.) However, Red Dwarf nailed it and then some. Far exceeding the books.

Anywho, originally aired on the BBC beginning in 1988, the series is basically a comedy with a science fiction backdrop which won the International Emmy Award (Popular Arts category) in 1994. IMO it deserves inclusion as it's one, if not thee, funniest science fiction shows out there.

And if it wasn't for Red Dwarf, you'd never have heard Q utter the word "smeg!"
Qray

Postby Bmat » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:12 am

Recent favorite:

Babylon 5
Farscape
Firefly

Older favorites

Star Trek TNG
Star Trek TOS

What do we mean by "top?" Most influential? Most widely watched? Personal favorites?
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Ariel » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:26 am

FarScape
Star Trek
Babylon5
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Qray » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:05 am

Bmat wrote:What do we mean by "top?" Most influential? Most widely watched? Personal favorites?

For the nomination process, all of the above. Whether you think the show deserves mention because of ground breaking story-lines, innovative production quality, longevity of the series, ratings, mass appeal, or just because you plain ole like it.

Once we have all the nominations and begin the ranking process, I guess each person will have to determine for themselves what makes a show rank higher than another. For some people, it may come down to simple ratings or longevity. For others, quality of the scripts. While others may look to character development as a basis for ranking and still others may decide to rank shows on pure personal enjoyment of the series. Which IMO, should determine which shows are the tops as it's a combination of all these elements that make a show memorable.
Qray

Doctor Who

Postby RHFay » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:16 am

My pick: Doctor Who (of course!).

I don't know if you would want the current series and the "classic series" listed separately, but to me the current one is just a modernized continuation of the original.

Their are several things that make this a ground-breaking show. One is the premise; you can go anywhere, to any time period. The Doctor can take part in a historical event one story, and in the next be on an alien planet on the outskirts of the universe.

In conjunction with this is the idea of the TARDIS; bigger on the inside than the outside, stuck in the shape of a police box. The TARDIS has become a true icon.

Secondly, is the premise of the regenerating Doctor. Instead of just bringing in a new actor, or ending the show, the producers came up with a brilliant concept. Change the Doctor's appearance and behaviors, while keeping certain core traits (such as his morality). It has enabled the show to go on for decades. It also enables the show to have a bit of a different feel each time a new Doctor is cast.

Thirdly, the original theme music was incredibly innovative for its time. Music does play a part in the whole viewing experience; think Star Wars with a different score, and you see what I mean! The original theme music was very atmospheric, with a mystical "spacey" feel to it. The revamped music, theme and incidental, is simply marvelous.

Fourthly, the show has created some really iconic villains over the years. For anyone familiar with the show, a Dalek is an instantly recognizable symbol of evil, hatred, and death. Even their battle cry of "Exterminate!" ranks right up their with classic iconic catch-phrases like "energize", "beam me up, Scotty", and "he's dead, Jim".

Finally, nothing really beats Doctor Who for longevity. There was a debate a while back about its ranking in the Guinness Book of World Records, but the show ran from 1963-1989, with a made-for-television movie in 1996, and then the relaunch of the series in 2005. Here are a few interesting specifics from Wikipedia:

Doctor Who surpassed the number of individual instalments of the Star Trek franchise (726 episodes over six programmes) by the third episode of the 2007 series (although the actual amount of produced material, in actual hours and minutes, measures just over half of the American science-fiction staple, due to its half-hour format, compared to Star Trek's hour-long format, as well as Trek's 10 feature-length films). Doctor Who also has the distinction (over Star Trek) of a lengthy contiguous run (the original Star Trek series aired for only 3 years on American network television).

So, my vote's for Doctor Who!

(By the way, if I was to rank the top three of my personal favorites, I would choose Doctor Who as number 1, Babylon 5 as two, and the original Star Trek as three.)
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby SpookyKatie » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:52 am

The X-Files!!
Iron Skirt Kate, SV's very own super villain.
Art is love, love is art **Up-Date**

And take that old dusty road over to my blog!
SpookyKatie
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Bmat » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:43 pm

Futurama
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby The Master » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:46 pm

Here's a few:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Buffy...zomg do I need to say more?

Space 1999 - despite a bizarre premise, one of the least campy SF shows from British TV

Buck Rogers - This short lived (2 season) end of the 70's classic was an interesting mix of the old movie serial and the post-apocalyptic themes that soon became dominant in 80's SF, all mixed up with a Disco flair. Did I mention Princess Ardala, who clearly influenced Princess Leia's gold bikini?

Stargate SG1 - the longest running SF TV show for good reason. Way better than the movie.

Alien Nation - A smartly done TV show that, like Stargate, was better than its inspiration movie.

Xena, Warrior Princess - do I need to explain this to anyone?

Bewitched - Incredibly popular in its first few seasons, this show managed to survive a prominent cast change (new Darren) and even transitioned from black and white to color. The family values at the center of the show (Samantha wants to be a homemaker and loving wife supporting her husband) are dated by today's standards, but at the time it ensured its long run and family friendly status. The able supporting cast ensured this hit would be in syndication forever.

Highlander, The Series - Well crafted sequel to the movies that enjoyed a nice long run in syndication. The sword fights were always spectacularly done and worthy of a mention for that reason alone.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby Bmat » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:13 pm

Blakes 7- Good casting. Servalan. Avon.

Let's see, we have 19 so far.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Qray » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:23 pm

Do you think MST3K qualifies as a science fiction series?
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Next

Return to Television