SV's Top Science Fiction/Fantasy Television Poll

Is Sci-Fi TV your passion? Come on in and discuss your favorite genre TV shows.

Moderator: Bmat

Qray

Post by Qray »

It's been corrected. 41 nominees so far.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

This may be off-topic, but is Lost SF? I thought it was originally. It's been dragging a lot and I think has drifted into soap opera.

The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Master »

Lost is definitely speculative television...I'm just not sure if its SF or if all the odd stuff is so supernatural that its not technically science fiction. Either way, I think it works for us!

Qray

Post by Qray »

I only watched the first season, so I couldn't comment on Lost other than from what I've heard people say about the way the storylines have been going.

I'd say it if not Science Fiction, it sounds as if it would qualify as Fantasy.

Nomad
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Nomad »

Babylon 5

RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by RHFay »

The Master wrote:Lost is definitely speculative television...I'm just not sure if its SF or if all the odd stuff is so supernatural that its not technically science fiction. Either way, I think it works for us!

Lost is called a possible example of slipstream on the Wikipedia entry about that particular speculative genre. It may actually be an example of slipstream, which is fiction containing surreal, not-so-real, or anti-real elements, or "the fiction of strangeness".
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.

SchoolTheOld
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by SchoolTheOld »

Can I nominate La Femme Nikita? :roll:

Qray

Post by Qray »

I'm not sure that would qualify as Science Fiction of Fantasy.

What's the general consensus, people?

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

I never saw it so can't make an informed guess, but I read a review that compared it to James Bond. So I'd say action and not SF.

SchoolTheOld
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by SchoolTheOld »

It's not really very James Bond-like. The reason I would nominate it has to do with the existance of an alternate world, rather than the existance of just a secret society.

I would suggest that LFN is different to James Bond because James Bond lives in the real world, a world of politics and scandals. Nikita lives in a world that is governed by orders, that usually conflicts with the world that she knew about.

If you want to see the main premise, I would recommend the French movie that the show was based on. However, the tv series was more about the mindset of people between missions, and between authority figures, than the missions themselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikita

Of course it's your call :)

Qray

Post by Qray »

This isn't a dig at the series. I've seen Nikita, Point of No Return, as well as the entire run of the La Femme Nikita t.v. series and thought they were all exceptional.

Though I wish the t.v. series had been as darkly themed as the movies, I understand that considerations have to be made for television.

However, I don't see any science fiction or fantasy elements in the stories. IMO it's just simply a different genre. Something along the lines of the upcoming Hitman: Codename 47 movie. The world of conspiracy, assassination, and intrigue.

The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Master »

Sorry but I don't think its SF either. Wikipedia describes it as a "spy drama", which seems accurate to me. Remember that just because a setting or premise is entirely fictional doesn't mean that its an alternative reality in the SFF genre sense. I only saw a couple eps of the series but I did see the movie and nothing about it struck me as SF.

the tv series was more about the mindset of people between missions, and between authority figures, than the missions themselves.
This indicates that it was a character driven drama that relied more on psychological thriller aspects for excitement rather than (expensive) special effects driven action sequences.