SV's Top Science Fiction/Fantasy Television Poll

Is Sci-Fi TV your passion? Come on in and discuss your favorite genre TV shows.

Moderator: Bmat

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

An example of 'more examples' would be The Six Million Dollar Man, as well as its spin-off, The Bionic Woman (both of which were made in the mid to late seventies, which involved a man and a woman who had had their bodies rebuilt by scientists, who added all sorts of 'bionic' (mechanical, but controlled by the brain) body parts to replace the flesh ones that were destroyed in the accidents that each of the people were in.

The Six Million Dollar Man was based on the novel "Cyborg" by Martin Caidin.

To quote the opening of The Six Million Dollar Man... "Steve Austin, astronaut. We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was before: better, stronger, faster." The Bionic Woman's name was Jaime Sommers, and she had been Steve Austin's girlfriend in his series until she was in a parachuting accident and then was given bionic parts as well. Her character died a few episodes later in his series, but she was 'cryogenically frozen,' revived and brought back for her own series. The first series, especially, was fairly ground-breaking for a television series at the time, since it was speaking about the combining of robotics (basically) with humanity, and what effect they might have on the human involved, as well as what sorts of things a government might require such a person to do. It also involved both arm and leg strength as well as a replacement for an eye, so it was more than about simple strength and speed changes.

Note that there is currently (2007) a series created for cable television called The Bionic Woman, based upon the seventies series of the same name, though updated with different tech used and other such things.

Another series that is being done (in which Lee Majors, who was Steve Austin in The Six Million Dollar Man, guest-starred in an episode) currently is Jake 2.0, made by the SciFi Channel, which is very similar in concept to the above-mentioned series, though nanotechnology is used instead of bionics.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

SchoolTheOld
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by SchoolTheOld »

Fair enough guys. I didn't know there were more movies. I'll have to go and dig them up.

Thanks for considering anyways :P

Qray

Post by Qray »

Point of No Return was an American remake of Nikita starring Bridget Fonda in the role of Nikita and Harvey Keitel taking on Jean Reno's role as the cleaner. Excellent casting for both movies for the role of the cleaner, IMO. It wasn't a word for word remake, but it was very good.

The movie Hitman: Codename 47, scheduled for theatrical release 21 November 2007, is based off of the video game by the same name. It deals with a man who was brainwashed into being an assassin for hire and a world wide political conspiracy involving a group known as the "Agency." The video game was very good. Very dark. If the movie follows form, it should be worth seeing.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

Qray

Post by Qray »

Logan's Run.
Originally a novel by William Nolan and George Clayton Johnson, it was first turned into a movie, and then a weekly series. Like the book and the movie, the tv series was based around a couple members of a future dystopian society who's population is kept in check by the death of everyone upon reaching a certain age. Maintaining the balance between population and the resources available.

Two of these people decide to make a break for it. Escaping the city and trekking across a post-apocalyptic planet in search of a fabled city of Sanctuary. Though some of the stories were a bit cheesie, the premise of the series was original.

Space: Above and Beyond
Inspired by the novel "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman, the series only ran for a year (but was re-aired and had a good run on the Scifi Channel.) It dealt with a war between humanity and an alien race in the depths of space. One of the things that sticks in my brain about the show was the realism of it. Both the closer accuracy to real military traditions and real laws of science than was seen in many other science fiction shows.

who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by who me »

La Femme Nikita takes place in France,(what are they teaching those kids in school now a days???) It is not science fiction, you may nominate the fifth element which was also directed by Luc Besson.
bored pim? who me? um yes.

Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by Merle »

There was a sixties series called the Time Tunnel. I don't remember much about it, but it's clearly SciFi.

And from the 90s, Earth 2. Strange series indeed, but I was sorry to see it cancelled.

And what about the shortlived Veritas?
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.

Valen
New User
New User

Post by Valen »

UFO - 1970/71, Loved the purple haired, moon based girls! British made.

The Invaders - 1967

Quark - 1977, Betty and Betty! Who can be against the idea of cloning, now?!

Fantastic Journey - 1977

Man From Atlantis - 1977/78, The ladies loved Patrick Duffy in his short tight bathing trunks.

Gemini Man - 1976

The Phoenix - 1981, Shot lived, but I liked the plot.

Planet of the Apes - 1974, didn't do the movie credit but it was good for its time.

V - 1984
Hello old friend...

waytanblee
Site Regular
Site Regular

Re: SV's Top Science Fiction/Fantasy Television Poll

Post by waytanblee »

Event Horizon (sci-fi, 1997) is my pick, that's not up there. Oh, has anyone watched the Legend of the Seeker series yet, based on Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth series?

Qray

Post by Qray »

Event Horizon was a good movie. Great casting, but this poll is for television series. Perhaps we should start up a movie poll.

Legend of the Seeker looks interesting. The trailers look very "epic." It'll be interesting to see if the series follows the feel of the trailers.

waytanblee
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by waytanblee »

It's coming from Sam Raimi aswell, so it comes with heap's of cred.

Qray

Post by Qray »

I was a bit worried about that as Hercules and Xena both had a kitchiness to it, that while it worked for those shows, was concerned how it'd turn out for Legend of the Seeker. Looking the trailer though, the kitchiness doesn't seem to be there.

waytanblee
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by waytanblee »

It does seem to have scope doesn't it.