speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Legend of the Seeker {The Sword of Truth}

Is Sci-Fi TV your passion? Come on in and discuss your favorite genre TV shows.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Legend of the Seeker {The Sword of Truth}

Postby Dark Knight » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:59 pm

That's right, unlike over books that get made into movies, this one is set to be a TV series

BURBANK, Calif. – Disney«ABC Domestic Television is bringing a new first-run, live-action weekly series to the syndication marketplace for a Fall 2008 launch, it was announced today by Janice Marinelli, president, Disney«ABC Domestic Television. From Executive Producer Sam Raimi ("Spider-Man," "Spider-Man 2," "Spider-Man 3" and "The Evil Dead"), the one-hour weekly series is based on Terry Goodkind’s bestselling epic fantasy series The Sword of Truth, which follows the extraordinary transformation of woodsman Richard Cypher into a magical leader who joins with a mysterious, beautiful woman to stop a bloodthirsty, sinister tyrant.

From http://www.terrygoodkind.com/

I have not read the books, any good?

Updated>>
Note: the series is called "Legend of the Seeker," instead of "The Sword of Truth"
Last edited by Dark Knight on Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: The Sword of Truth {the TV Series}

Postby spknoevl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:22 am

Watched a one hour behind-the-scenes preview of the making of the series last Saturday night on the WB. As well as interviews with the cast and director they also talked to Terry Goodkind himself. The show was hosted by Lucy Lawless and featured a preview of the first 10 minutes of the premiere 2 hours episode that will air next Saturday. Looks like some first class production values all around.
spknoevl
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Bmat » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:50 am

This sounds like something I'd enjoy. I'll try to remember to watch it.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby spknoevl » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:45 am

I watched parts of the 2 hour series premier Saturday night. Unfortunately, we had company unexpectedly drop by and I didn't get to the see the entire show. Despite the wonderful NZ backdrop, the show seemed to have that cheezy TV feel to it. Probably most distracting to me is the fact that the lead character closely resembles Chachi from Happy Days.
Hopefully there are better things to come.
spknoevl
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Talon Sinnah » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:00 am

As a reader of the book series I am not empressed. I did not get a chance to watch the premier but what I have has not been to appealing. They nailed the Kahlan character on the head, fell short on Richard and completly missed the mark on Zedd. The story is not even depicting some of the key events. The episode where Kahlan, Richard and Zedd crossed into the Midlands washorrible, Zedd was not even with them and the pass through the boundary(sp) was a good thirty to forty pages long through an actual pass like you would see in a mountain. Darken Rahl is supposed to be blonde and you do not see him until the middle of the book. At least the sword looked good, inaccurate but good. Personally if I was Goodkind, I'd be pissed.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Qray » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:27 pm

How much input has Goodkind had into the TV series?
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby spknoevl » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:19 am

I managed to watch the entire second episode this past weekend and was rather disappointed. After the promise of the initial episode, it seems to have fallen into cliched tv plot lines and cheezy acting. Even the production values seem to have gone down considerably from the 2 hour premiere.

On the other hand, I'm glad there is at least one fantasy show on tv these days; but I find myself watching bigger budget sci-fi shows like Fringe and 11th Hour.
spknoevl
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Talon Sinnah » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:05 am

Personally I would hope not a lot, but I do not know Qray. I can not even imagine my friend Dr. Love would like it and he likes anything to do with that book series.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Qray » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:56 pm

I wonder who owns the rights to Goodkinds works. If it 's him or his publishers.

Where is Dr. Love these days?
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby spknoevl » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:47 am

Well they did include some interviews with Goodkind as part of the preview show the week before the series premier, so he may be involved in some manner. That being said, other than the first hour of the initial episode being based on his first two books, I don't believe he has any hands on involvement with the show.

I just think the budget restrictions of tv versus film, and perhaps the targeted audience demographic had an impact on the both the casting and the production values.
spknoevl
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Talon Sinnah » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:16 am

I honostly do not think it would cost that much if they struck strictly to the book. But I do not know too much about the film business.

Dr. love is knee deep into his life. I do not talk to him aften unless i drive two hours out of my way. He has a girlfriend, no job and plays a lot of Halo on live, and on weekends we all get together and play Dungeons and Dragons. He says he lurks every now and then but that is about it.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Dark Knight » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:31 pm

Well I have seen the whole first series...

Why is the sword called the sword of Truth? It did not seem to have an magic or anything, it just seem to be a sword, really, apart from one episode, where it was the only weapon that could kill some creature...

What extra abilities does Richard have as the seeker? He just seems to be a good sword fighter, the seeker part does not even seem to come into it.

Is there any more in that book in the show, that was destroyed at the start of the series, and that they got a copy of near the end of the series, or is that it? I thought it would have some info on the abilities of the seeker, but there was no mention of that.
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Next

Return to Television