speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Kings

Is Sci-Fi TV your passion? Come on in and discuss your favorite genre TV shows.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Kings

Postby Sir Rhino » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:20 am

NBC has a new TV show, Sunday night ... 8 PM, called Kings which I think is excellent. It stars Ian McShane (Al Swearengen of Deadwood) as King Silas Benjamin.

Image Image

and is an alternate reality show were the two world superpowers Garth and Gilboa are kingdoms, roughly equivalent to the US and Russia, with democracy nowhere to be seen.

If you liked Deadwood, I suspect you will like Kings as well.

2 minute teaser

The first three episodes can be found in full for those who would like to catch up.*

Also, McShane was the guest on The Daily Show 03/17 where he talked about Kings and cracked jokes with Stewart.

* Note: Goliath is episode #1, Prosperity is episode #2, and First Night is episode #3.
Sir Rhino
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: Kings

Postby Bmat » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:33 pm

Thank you for the information, I'd never heard of it. It sounds like something I'd like to see at least once.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby The Master » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:38 pm

If you want to watch it watch it soon...looks like NBC isn't going to let it try to build an audiance:

NBC is pulling the low-rated Kings from its Sunday-night timeslot, effective this week, and moving it to Saturday nights at 8 p.m. ET/PT, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

On Sundays, Kings will be replaced with a second hour of Dateline.

The most recent episode of Kings earned a 1.1 rating among adults 18-49.

The remaining eight episodes of Kings will air on Saturday nights at 8 p.m., starting April 18.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/nbc-to-det ... gs-fro.php
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby Qray » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:38 pm

Ian McShane is an awesome actor. I first caught him on Lovejoy where he played a somewhat less than above board antiques dealer.

I've seen a couple spots for Kings and saw the Daily Show interview. It looks like a good show and the clips of McShane show good acting performances. They've already shot the entire series, and I assume NBC has bought the entire rights, so it doesn't makes sense to tank the show. They've already paid for it.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Sir Rhino » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:20 pm

The Master wrote:If you want to watch it watch it soon...looks like NBC isn't going to let it try to build an audiance:

NBC is pulling the low-rated Kings from its Sunday-night timeslot, effective this week, and moving it to Saturday nights at 8 p.m. ET/PT, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

On Sundays, Kings will be replaced with a second hour of Dateline.

The most recent episode of Kings earned a 1.1 rating among adults 18-49.

The remaining eight episodes of Kings will air on Saturday nights at 8 p.m., starting April 18.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/nbc-to-det ... gs-fro.php

Wow, bummer ... double bummer since on the Kings site they've announced that there will be no more new episodes until June.

I wonder what happened ... it's well written and the acting is excellent. Are the prime time network viewers a bunch of inbred, slack jawed, mouth breathers? Was the show not well advertised? (I never would have seen it if McShane hadn't been on The Daily Show). I'm really at a loss to understand this.

Sir Rhino
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby parkerwilliam » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:25 am

Ian McShane (Al Swearengen of Deadwood) is a great actor. I like him very much. The name of series is King which is better name for Ian McShane (Al Swearengen of Deadwood). Because he is real king of acting.
parkerwilliam
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Theoballd » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:24 pm

This happens alot, it seems. Some of my favorite TV shows were pulled after just a season. The big problem with this happening, is that it's almost impossible to find them anywhere. They never get released on DVD, so they're rarely on Netflix or whatnot. So irritating.

I really wonder if the people in charge of TV and Movie studios ever have any idea of what they're doing, or if they just make crap up as they go.
Theoballd
New User
New User

Return to Television