speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Merlin

Is Sci-Fi TV your passion? Come on in and discuss your favorite genre TV shows.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Merlin

Postby Starfire » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:18 am

Hello All,
My fav show from CBS has been picked up by Syfy channel. It is a show about young Merlin who is working as a servant to Prince Arthur while he is learning to use his magical gifts. The show takes a huge detour from classic lit. It has totally cut out any Christian reference. That being said it is a fun show along the lines of Xena or Legend of the seeker.

A few episodes ago was an episode called "The once and future queen". This is where the romance between Arthur and Gwen begins. The show has taken a few detours with this. Gwen is Morgana's servant. ( not a beautiful noble) I think the writers of the show have gone a little outside the box here. Having the spoiled, handsome and vein Arthur fall for a lowly commoner give his some depth. The problem is that they really have not done much to show why he has fallen for her.

Let's face it she no beauty and they really have not shown her to have anything special in personality. I wish the writer would step up a bit and show what Arthur sees in her to make this more believable.

Next episode is tomorrow night at 10. Can't wait. :)
Starfire
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Merlin

Postby The Master » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:39 pm

Are they just repeats of the canceled show, or are they doing new episodes?
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby Starfire » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:29 pm

No New episode Fridays at 10:00. That's about 30 minutes. I would have thought more people on a Scifi message board would watch the Syfy network.
Starfire
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby The Master » Sat May 01, 2010 6:41 pm

I saw ads for it, but thought they were just showing the repeats like they have done with a lot of other canceled shows.

To be honest though with all the (very cheap to make which is why they love them) paranormal reality shows, wrestling, and D grade monster movies there is so little actual Sci-Fi left on SyFy that I don't want it too often any more.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Merle » Mon May 03, 2010 10:33 am

Master, Merlin is a BBC series. Season 1 was rebroadcast last summer on Sunday evenings on NBC. Season 2 is now being shown on Friday nights on SyFy. I'm not sure if a Season 3 is coming from BBC. You can find fan forums from UK watchers who have already seen all of S2, which we are seeing now for the first time.

Yes, it is jolting to see Arthur raised by his father, rather than as a foster child, and subserviant to his foster brother, Sir Kay. I think it is this humble upbringing in the original Arthurian legends that leads to Arthur's egalitarianism. Also, young Arthur in the legends is tutored by the mature Merlin.

Still, the show is entertaining and the cast is attractive. I disagree about Gwen. I think she is attractive, and has demonstrated a quiet grace that very well may have caught Arthur's eye.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.
Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby The Master » Mon May 17, 2010 11:55 pm

So my bad on not knowing that Merlin was an import :( I've been watching now and its not too shabby. A bit of a cheese factor but in a nice way.

Syfy has a sweepstakes to win a scarf, season 1 on DVD and a signed script. US residents only I'm afraid!
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Television