the 24 series with Keifer Sutherland

Is Sci-Fi TV your passion? Come on in and discuss your favorite genre TV shows.

Moderator: Bmat

LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

the 24 series with Keifer Sutherland

Post by LadyFlame »

Ok, this isn't SCI-Fi or Fantasy, but is anyone out there into the series 24? It is filmed in real time and in a 24 hour period and it is so gripping that you are on the edge of your seat wanting more.
Keifer plays a federal agent that works for the Counter Terrorist Unit (CTU) and he goes around defusing the plans of ill plots and also in the meantime there is always some other intertwining scheme going on around them.
It is such an enthralling show and you find yourself loving and hating certain characters. It is well written and I highly recommend it to those who can take the 'terrorist' aspect of it(which I feel is written fairly, and yet realistically despite it hitting close to home) and for those who like a bit of action and thriller.
GO rent the first DVD of the first series and you'll be hooked!
My husband and I are 24 junkies now. It's so sad, but so goooood! :smt045

Desslok
New User
New User

Post by Desslok »

Starfire and I just started watching it this past season, about 3-4 episodes in.

I find it entertaining, but you have to believe that everything in LA can be reached within a 5-minute drive or so. ;)

Qray

Post by Qray »

I've watched it since the series began. I'm a big fan of Kiefer Sutherland and eagerly awaited the first episode, not to be disappointed.

Besides the "real time" feel of the show, one minute being one minute, I'm impressed by the near movie-like quality of the show. It doesn't seem like watching a t.v. program, it seems like your watching a movie.

For me though, the major need for "suspension of disbelief" isn't the 5 minutes to anywhere in L.A. which of course does require some suspension of disbelief, but that all this *bleep* can happen to the same poor guy. I mean really, give ole Jack a break, will ya! :wink:

I was really impressed by the way they handled commercials for..was it this year's season opener? Or was it last years? In which Ford Automotive sponsored the show to be commercial free by airing a 10 minute mini-movie commercial before the real show began (the commercial featuring the character of Jack Bower's brother.) I felt that was very innovative.

LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by LadyFlame »

We just started watching season 3 last night. I have a few friends that like my hubby and I, 24junkies.
I TOTALLy feel you Qray on poor ole Jack. The good thing is that every new season, they don't do it a random day every year, but like season 3 is three years after season 2. You get the idea that these folks are pretty amazing and intellegent to have such a job like that and be able to handle the stress that comes with it. It makes me wish I were a part of it.
You get the idea that Jack Baur is pretty badboodie. :smt066
I love it cuz' there are characters that I so want to see die(yes, they bring out the evil in me), and then there's the ones that you want to live happiler ever after. The actors do a great job in their performances.
I don't know HOW in the world people could watch it without the DVDs. I can't imagine only getting one episode every week for that whole season. I'd go nuts! :wallbash:
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

Ambrose Redmoon

www.myspace.com/nanyanasummer

LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Careful, Spoiler for Season three.......

Post by LadyFlame »

There's a spoiler in this for those who aren't caught up on the 24 series.....

Ok, we just finished watching season 3 last night.
This may sound evil, but can I just say? I am SO glad that Sheri got shot! Man, I was happy when she got stabbed in season two! But now she's gone, and the world is a better place. :twisted:
No but really there are a couple of amazing performances on this show, and the woman who plays Sheri does such a great super manipulative evil power hungry wench... :smt084
We are almost caught up with the series. We watch about two episodes every night for the past two months, and man, I can't tell you how many dreams I've had about Kiefer rescuing me from terrorists! :smt038
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

Ambrose Redmoon

omnituton
New User
New User

Post by omnituton »

**warning - possible spoilers for those who haven't seen season 3 or 4**

First off - I don't have a television and in general I don't miss it. Every now and again I do get dvd's and the 24 box set seasons 1-4 was a chance purchase on my part. Its not the type of thing I'd usually go for, but the price was good and for (potentially) 96 hours of viewing time it was a steal. Happily I can admit I got a little hooked...and ended up gorgeing on all four seasons in a two week vacation period.

For the most part it was enjoyable, well paced and had high production values. But..(theres always a but isn't there?)..having virtually watched all seasons in one big gulp there were a few things which annoyed me.

1. Kim...poor girl, is a walking disaster zone. In times of national emergency one thing is certain...Kim Beuer is dangerous to be around. Why?...well for one, all her boyfriends have lost bodyparts. Secondly getting from point A to point B is implausibly difficult for Kim. Wheras you or I might just get on a bus, get in a car or plain walk, poor Kim has many little adventures along the way- chased by a murderous employer (who just happens to choose this day to go lunatic), scrambling from beat up and burning police vehicles, trapped in a psychos nuke-bunker in the deep woods, or as a hostage in a store robbery. Luckily by season 3 the writers have Kim safe and sound working in the CTU offices, but in my opinion shes just a casual annoyance here.

2. If there is one certainty in life its that there is a mole in CTU. There always is. Its not surprising however...I've never seen a more unprofessional and dysfunctional operation. The entire set up is rife with personality clashes, miscommunication and backstabbing. Realistic?...perhaps...but I can't help feel that an organisation which is based on information gathering etc finds it so hard sometimes to get its message accross to one another. Satellite, CCTV, immense computer processing power, and it all too often goes to waste because one agent fails to tell another where they are and what they are doing...no doubt there is a very good point here but it happens so often that I can't help but cringe.

3. I really enjoyed the president Palmer story line...but...Sheri Palmer really had run her course by the end of season two. Bringing her back into season three served only to flog a dead horse and make Palmer look more gullible than he should be at this stage in his career.

4. Finally, - and this might be my own fault..maybe I inadvertantly skipped over an episode..(I don't think I fell asleep) but whatever happened to Behrooz in season four?...last I rememeber he was handed over to Marwan and then...I don't know. Was he another casuality of "hard choices" but too young to be killed on screen?...did the black agent (carter?clarke?..I can't remember his name) keep his promise that behrooz would be safe?.

These minor aspects aside I enjoyed the series immensely and have a lot of good things to say about the characterisation etc.
There is certainly a writer on the show who knows their stuff and knows how to get their point accross simply and with a certain humour. One example that comes to mind in particular is the 'humanization' of George Mason...those who've seen season three know he dies well...but what I liked were some of the simple ways they did it. Tony is on the phone to George who is in his car fleeing LA and the potential nuclear carnage. Tony needs Georges password and Georges responce is "Hendrix"...with an x..". Simple device, but that one moment sets up an insight into george that is built upon later...a mid-level by the book burecrat who secretly has always dreamed of being a rebel. The man has soul but the job and life have knocked it out of him.

Anyway, I've rambled on at this stage, but I guess thats probably a good sign of the series overall...It had a lot of worthy aspects and I'd certainly recommend it.

LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by LadyFlame »

Pretty In depth description, omnituton. I never really thought about how CTU is so dysfunctional! But it is SO true! I totally agree with the Kim Bauer comment. There were a couple of times when I felt she was obviously Jack's daughter, and then the next I'm like, where did you get your brain? More than the opposite, I kept calling her a stupid blonde- :sorry: with NO disrespect to those perfectly intellegent and morally wise blonde women out there in SV! :wink: Calling her that just was a way to release my frustrations in all the drama.
At this point, I'm officially hooked, so 24 and Kiefer are totally burned into my favor. I have such high expectations and think there are great episodes and then 'less good'. Overall the series is addicting and quite the load of suspencful fun. :smt071

Ambrose Redmoon

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

One thing that I think would be wise to keep in mind, all of you who are criticizing the communications skills at CTU... each SEASON takes place in 24 HOURS. Thus, all the communications difficulties are more understandable, considering that you're not always near a phone during the day, and when things are "hopping" you are often too busy to stop at a phone and make a call, simply because the person you're following will disappear or whatever. Are there comm problems there? Yes, but not to the extent that I think you both are implying...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

omnituton
New User
New User

Post by omnituton »

I hear what your saying...but...the fact is they ARE always by a phone, or a satellite link etc. Being under pressure is one thing, but the point is that organisations like these are measured by how they respond to critical situations. It just seems like CTU comes undone (except for Jack of course) at the seams whenever there is an emergency. In every single season a new head of CTUhas to be brought in whenever the crud hits the fan.

Still I'll accept some of your point...but will also add you should keep in mind I watched each season virtually in real time...(it was a lazy vacation)...and when watched that way the repeated miscommunications can become a little comic.

LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by LadyFlame »

I'm not saying they are dysfunctional in the communications skills. I feel that they are dysfunctional in the way there is SO much lying and betrayal and power hungry motives and exploiting pay raises for duties and keeping lies secret.
YESSS, Yesss I know that government agencies are corrupt, becuz' man is man, but,... well, you know what I mean. My point is that in this show, they kick butt but sometimes they're a bunch a crazy crooks! :smt018

Ambrose Redmoon

Qray

Post by Qray »

LadyFlame, a new season of 24 starts this Sunday! Jack Bauer returns! Er...I mean, Frank Flynn.

Looks like RoboCop (Peter Weller) will be in this season as well. Also Methos (Peter Wingfield) is suppose to be in a few episodes.

LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by LadyFlame »

Thanks Qray, I don't think I'll catch it cuz' I don't have cable anymore. It works out better that way cuz' I cannot stand waiting for the next episode every week. I like renting the DVDs so I can watch as many as I can handle. I don't know how people do it otherwise! I'd go crazy!

Ambrose Redmoon