Andreas Katsulas Passed Away

Still a favorite with many of our regulars, come on in and share your insights on this ground breaking series.

Moderator: Bmat

ProfCrash
New User
New User

Andreas Katsulas Passed Away

Post by ProfCrash »

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=1&id=34628

Damn, this sucks.

Andreas Katsulas, the character actor known to SF fans as G'Kar on Babylon 5 and a familiar face from Star Trek and other SF&F TV shows, died Feb. 13 of lung cancer in Los Angeles, his agent, Donna Massetti, confirmed to SCI FI Wire. He was 59.

Katsulas, a longtime resident of Los Angeles, played the Narn ambassador G'Kar for five years in the syndicated cult TV series Babylon 5, starting in 1993. He reprised the role in subsequent Babylon 5 telefilms.

Katsulas was also no stranger to Trek fans, playing Romulan Cmdr. Tomalak in Star Trek: The Next Generation. His last appearance in a Trek series was as a Vissian captain on an episode of Enterprise.

Born in St. Louis, Katsulas held a master's degree in theater from Indiana University, his official Web site said. After performing in plays in St. Louis, New York and Boston, he went on to film roles in such movies as Michael Cimino's The Sicilian, which brought him to Los Angeles, then in Ridley Scott's Someone to Watch Over Me and Blake Edward's Sunset.

Katsulas moved to Los Angeles permanently in 1986 and found scores of television and film parts in everything from TV's Alien Nation and Max Headroom to the big screen's The Fugitive, in which he played the infamous one-armed man, and Executive Decision opposite Kurt Russell and Steven Seagal.

Information on memorial services was pending at press time.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Rest in peace, G'Kar. :( This is sad news.

Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by Merle »

That is indeed sad. He was a fine actor, and brilliant as G'Kar. Cancer sucks, and lung cancer sucks double.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.

Qray

Post by Qray »

"There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain."
-Citizen G'Kar (Andreas Katsulas.)

I lift a toast to you Andreas Katsulas. "We shall remember."

lastone
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by lastone »

As you pass beyond the rim my friend, you will not be alone. the others have been waiting for. Goodbye and thank you for your service. You were always at the heart.

"Goodbye and thanks for the fish"

Dagny
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by Dagny »

Truly sorrowful news.

Valen
New User
New User

Post by Valen »

I hadn't heard.. very said thing. I didn't see him in too many shows/movies but I was always entertained when I did. It's as bad to lose B5 actors as it is to lose the original Trek ones that have gone.

Peace and eternal happiness Mr. Katsulas...
Hello old friend...

Asp
New User
New User

Post by Asp »

I'm very sorry to hear that, he was a fine actor and one of my favorites from the show.