Watching the series from the beginning- Spoilers Galore

Still a favorite with many of our regulars, come on in and share your insights on this ground breaking series.

Moderator: Bmat

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Watching the series from the beginning- Spoilers Galore

Post by Bmat »

I just finished episode 4- None are Pure.

I was confused about the no-one is pure, even humans, thing. Since I suspect humans are pure and not part alien. Although, if we are part alien, then all humans are, and so the pure state includes the alien genetic material. But I see the episode clarified toward the end that it was a standard in height and so forth. So a physical ideal must have been set, and anything different from that idea was considered flawed. The only thing about that is that they must have known then that their own kind would be targetted.

The episode reminded me a lot of the Star Trek TOS episode with the little robot that was programmed to sterilize...or was that the Dahleks?
Last edited by Bmat on Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Re: Watching the series from the beginning

Post by Sindatur »

Bmat wrote:I just finished episode 4- None are Pure.

I was confused about the no-one is pure, even humans, thing. Since I suspect humans are pure and not part alien. Although, if we are part alien, then all humans are, and so the pure state includes the alien genetic material. But I see the episode clarified toward the end that it was a standard in height and so forth. So a physical ideal must have been set, and anything different from that idea was considered flawed. The only thing about that is that they must have known then that their own kind would be targetted.

The episode reminded me a lot of the Star Trek TOS episode with the little robot that was programmed to sterilize...or was that the Dahleks?

Are you talking about "Infection"?

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Sindatur wrote:

No, it was the episode where Kirk presented the device with a dilemma that it couldn't solve, and it had to destroy itself. I think it was "The Changeling."

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Sindatur »

Bmat wrote:
Sindatur wrote:

No, it was the episode where Kirk presented the device with a dilemma that it couldn't solve, and it had to destroy itself. I think it was "The Changeling."

Sindatur is now thoroughly confused.

Thread is Watching B5 series from the beginning, yet you're talking about having just watched Ep 4 of ST:TOS, and calling it None are Pure, which isn't a title I recall from TOS?

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Sorry. :oops:

I watched episode 4 of B5 (None are Pure) that reminded me of the Star Trek episode The Changeling.

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Sindatur »

Bmat wrote:Sorry. :oops:

I watched episode 4 of B5 (None are Pure) that reminded me of the Star Trek episode The Changeling.

So, we're back to my original question, LOL. Never heard of "None are Pure" as a B5 episode. Are you talking about Infection? The one with the BioTech that turns it's host into an Ikarran Warrior and tries to kill everything that isn't pure Ikarran?

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/guide/004.html

It's hard to tell with the first half of Season 1 of B5 which episode someone may be talking about, since they were shown in a different order than produced, and some people might count The Gathering as an episode, while others wouldn't.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Sindatur wrote:
Bmat wrote:Sorry. :oops:

So, we're back to my original question, LOL. Never heard of "None are Pure" as a B5 episode. Are you talking about Infection? The one with the BioTech that turns it's host into an Ikarran Warrior and tries to kill everything that isn't pure Ikarran?

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/guide/004.html

It's hard to tell with the first half of Season 1 of B5 which episode someone may be talking about, since they were shown in a different order than produced, and some people might count The Gathering as an episode, while others wouldn't.

That's the one! It was called "Infection"- thanks! It was one of the scenes called No one is Pure.

The one we watched this Sunday was The Parliament of Dreams, where each species was to demonstrate its major religion. It was very entertaining when G'Kar was worried about an assassin. I felt that G'Kar's refusal to scream was a foretelling of his later torture at the hands of the Centauri. It was odd that Delenn's ceremony could be construed as a marriage. I thought that she and Sinclair seemed to be attracted to each other, but then Sheridan came along and the attraction was with him.

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Sindatur »

I'll have to rewatch infection, I seem to remember I was satisfied by the how?

Parliament of Dreams was a great episode. I'm not sure exactly what JMS was thinking there, because I think Delenn was always meant to be a descendant of Vale, even before Sheridan was though of to lighten Sinclair's load of the arc. Kinda Icky if she was his descendant, and was supposed to be his wife or the mother of his kids (Which some of us suspect was Katherine Sakai via the third Trilum)

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Do you suppose that she was deliberately trying to get him under her influence- even by seduction- for the same reason that she was on B5- to keep a close eye on him?

Yes, icky if she was the mother of his offspring.

Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by Merle »

No more icky than Aragorn marrying his cousin.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.

Valen
New User
New User

Post by Valen »

Hmmmmm.... I don't think either case would constitute "in-breeding". But I agree with Bmat on the main idea of the first season relationships. I think that Delenn and Sinclair were suppose to be a "thing" and that JMS changed things around when he decided that Sinclair's character should be written off the show.

That's right... I'm still spouting the conspiriousy theory here! We was robbed when they took Sinclair off and put that whimpy Sheridan in his place! :twisted:
Hello old friend...

Qray

Post by Qray »

Valen wrote:Hmmmmm.... I don't think either case would constitute "in-breeding". But I agree with Bmat on the main idea of the first season relationships. I think that Delenn and Sinclair were suppose to be a "thing" and that JMS changed things around when he decided that Sinclair's character should be written off the show.

Wasn't Sinclairs leaving the station part of JMS story arc from the beginning?

Valen wrote:That's right... I'm still spouting the conspiriousy theory here! We was robbed when they took Sinclair off and put that whimpy Sheridan in his place! :twisted:

Sheridan was whimpy? In comparison to Sinclair? In what way?