Watching the series from the beginning- Spoilers Galore

Still a favorite with many of our regulars, come on in and share your insights on this ground breaking series.

Moderator: Bmat

User avatar
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Posts: 5900
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:31 pm
Location: East coast US

Post by Bmat »

This may not be what Valen had in mind, or others of the Sheridan is whimpy persuasion, but Sinclair was a more moody, deep character. Sheridan came in to the series all smiles and light. He became more complex by the time the series was over.

User avatar
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:37 pm

Post by Sindatur »

Qray wrote:
Valen wrote:Hmmmmm.... I don't think either case would constitute "in-breeding". But I agree with Bmat on the main idea of the first season relationships. I think that Delenn and Sinclair were suppose to be a "thing" and that JMS changed things around when he decided that Sinclair's character should be written off the show.


Wasn't Sinclairs leaving the station part of JMS story arc from the beginning?

Valen wrote:That's right... I'm still spouting the conspiriousy theory here! We was robbed when they took Sinclair off and put that whimpy Sheridan in his place! :twisted:


Sheridan was whimpy? In comparison to Sinclair? In what way?


Sinclair was always supposed to become Valen, but, closer to the end, after Sinclair had done everything Seridan did, but the actor didn't want to stay that long, and JMS realized there was too much for one man to do, so split Sinclair's original arc between the two of them, and moved WWE forward to mid 3rd season, I believe. At the time B2 was filmed, the arc had not yet changed, which is why WWE is so difficult to follow.

User avatar
Valen
New User
New User
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:36 am
Location: Tuzanor, Minbar (Texas)
Contact:

Post by Valen »

Sindatur wrote:
Qray wrote:
Valen wrote:Hmmmmm.... I don't think either case would constitute "in-breeding". But I agree with Bmat on the main idea of the first season relationships. I think that Delenn and Sinclair were suppose to be a "thing" and that JMS changed things around when he decided that Sinclair's character should be written off the show.


Wasn't Sinclairs leaving the station part of JMS story arc from the beginning?

Valen wrote:That's right... I'm still spouting the conspiriousy theory here! We was robbed when they took Sinclair off and put that whimpy Sheridan in his place! :twisted:


Sheridan was whimpy? In comparison to Sinclair? In what way?


Sinclair was always supposed to become Valen, but, closer to the end, after Sinclair had done everything Seridan did, but the actor didn't want to stay that long, and JMS realized there was too much for one man to do, so split Sinclair's original arc between the two of them, and moved WWE forward to mid 3rd season, I believe. At the time B2 was filmed, the arc had not yet changed, which is why WWE is so difficult to follow.


That was my understanding as well... I didn't know if it was O'Hare's decision or JMS's to cut the role short.
Hello old friend...

User avatar
Valen
New User
New User
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:36 am
Location: Tuzanor, Minbar (Texas)
Contact:

Post by Valen »

Bmat wrote:This may not be what Valen had in mind, or others of the Sheridan is whimpy persuasion, but Sinclair was a more moody, deep character. Sheridan came in to the series all smiles and light. He became more complex by the time the series was over.


Not quire Miss Bmat... I was referring back to the old arguement of Sinclair vs. Sheridan. I think Crash and I were the only ones that perferred Sinclairs charater over Sheridan's. The post was another one of my feeble attempts to prop Sinclair up. Afterall.... I am Valen! Image
Hello old friend...

User avatar
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:37 pm

Post by Sindatur »

To the best of my recollection, JMS was considering he had dug himself a hole making Sinclair accomplish so much, and resigned himself to Sinclair having to leave and bring in Sheridan, and then Michael O'Hare wanted out earlier than JMS was ready, so JMS simply made Sinclair disappear in between Season 1 and 2, and then came up with the reason Sinclair was gone and Sheridan was in. Prior to this I think WWE was supposed to be Sleeping in the Light

I think WWE at this point was now supposed to be where it appeared, and Sinclair was supposed to play the arc until he left in WWE and Sheridan would be introduced then to deal with the war, but, since O'Hare wanted out after Season 1 he brought Sheridan in at the beginning of Season 2.

User avatar
Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe
Posts: 2584
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:11 am
Location: A safe little corner of my mind
Contact:

Post by Merle »

I had always read that it was a mutual decision between Michael O'Hare and JMS for O'Hare to leave. What I'm not sure about is whether O'Hare's wooden acting had anything to do with JMS's decision to let him go early. I've always said Sinclair was a great character poorly acted.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.

User avatar
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Posts: 5900
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:31 pm
Location: East coast US

Post by Bmat »

Just watched episode 8- where Sinclair was tortured to discover what memories he actually had of his time on the line when he said he'd blacked out.

Which led to the question, why was there an Earth/Minbari war?

I am amazed how much of the plot I have forgotten.

User avatar
Nomad
Site Regular
Site Regular
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:14 am

Post by Nomad »

Well, Bmat... You will have to watch In the Beginning. Two-hour TV movie. Covers the Earth-Minbari War in more detail, including Delenn's involvement and the death of Dukhat.
___________________________________
"just what is 'Key of Light' Anyway?" -Nommy

User avatar
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Posts: 5900
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:31 pm
Location: East coast US

Post by Bmat »

Nomad wrote:Well, Bmat... You will have to watch In the Beginning. Two-hour TV movie. Covers the Earth-Minbari War in more detail, including Delenn's involvement and the death of Dukhat.


Ah! Thanks, Nommy. Barnes and Noble recently had, or is still having, it's buy two get one free DVD sale, so I bought the B5 movie set and will have to watch at least that one before continuing with Season 1.

User avatar
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:37 pm

Post by Sindatur »

Bmat wrote:Just watched episode 8- where Sinclair was tortured to discover what memories he actually had of his time on the line when he said he'd blacked out.

Which led to the question, why was there an Earth/Minbari war?

I am amazed how much of the plot I have forgotten.


And the Sky full of Stars. The first really big episode, that told us there really was a lot more to this series than what had been revealed to us, and the writer(s) actually knew in advance what it was.

User avatar
Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe
Posts: 2584
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:11 am
Location: A safe little corner of my mind
Contact:

Post by Merle »

It's cool to read your comments, Bmat. Almost like reliving the wonder of the story unfolding for the first time.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.

User avatar
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Posts: 5900
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:31 pm
Location: East coast US

Post by Bmat »

^_^

Episode 11 Survivors

Garibaldi-centered. Ivanova had a good line- "You are going to resist, I hope." She stole the spotlight every time she was on.

I shouted at Garibaldi not to do it! Don't do it Garibaldi!! Don't take that drink! Resist! Oh well, it didn't help.

Then I shouted at Ivanova- Shut it down! Shut it down!! Sheesh.

Post Reply