Watching the series from the beginning- Spoilers Galore

Still a favorite with many of our regulars, come on in and share your insights on this ground breaking series.

Moderator: Bmat

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Episode 12 By Any Means Necessary

A clever and brave solution by Sinclair.

And a valuable statement of what goes on behind the scenes of the huge station. At first I thought it was the episode that took us through a day in the life of two maintenance people, but this one was about the underfunding and the dangers enountered by maintenance people. The episode takes us out of the fairy-tale of the sophisticated station and into the believable inner workings of the station, with budget problems and people working hard to keep the physical plant working, and accepting the lowest bid only to discover that inferior materials were used.

It occurred to me that we never saw, to my memory, Enterprise being cleaned and polished, and the maintenance people that must have been there to do the repairs on the bays and the toilets and the doors and so forth.

The comic relief of G'Kar and Londo, especially the gleeful wave as Londo slipped into the elevator, was hilarious. And the solution was another clever move on the part of Sinclair.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

We just watched the Gathering. I remembered about halfway through that the first time I saw it that I decided that if it were the first introduction I'd had to B5 that I would probably not have watched the series. Maybe not, anyway.

It was interesting to hear the commentary, even so.

Something that I noted was that even though the lighting made the sets seem exotic, the lighting was not very logical. Having the room in darkness except for illuminated strips along the walls and illuminated tables would make seeing pretty difficult. For example, looking up from a brightly lit table into a darkened room would make seeing who it was that just walked in very difficult.

I am glad that they changed Delenn's appearance, also. She was too beautiful to be hidden behind all of that make up.

G'Kar and Londo seemed into their characters right from the beginning.

Dragonfleet
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by Dragonfleet »

Okay I finally got the first season of B5. I thought the first episode was a little poor but the show is definately growing on me. There's some dumb moments and the animation makes me laugh but I have to admit there's some good one liners and good character development.

I'm really interested in this conspiracy over the Psi Corps taking over the government. I don't know much about it other than what Jason was alluding to. Hmm, must watch more eps! ><

Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by Merle »

DF, it definitely gets better and better. Keep watching! The Sky Full of Stars episode will really hook you. Then there's Babylon Squared. Those are some main eps for the arc in S1.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.

Dragonfleet
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by Dragonfleet »

Merle wrote:DF, it definitely gets better and better. Keep watching! The Sky Full of Stars episode will really hook you. Then there's Babylon Squared. Those are some main eps for the arc in S1.

Ah yes, just saw that. I'm interested to find out what the Grey Council did with Sinclair and Delenn's involvement. :)

Dragonfleet
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by Dragonfleet »

Woot just finished season 2! :D Definately a lot of arcs coming to fruition here and a lot more adventure to come. The Centauri-Narn conflict was well played imo and I really felt for G'kar when he was dealing with the crisis and its aftermath. Damn that Mollari! :evil:

Was a shame to see Winters go though, I mean after being given telekenesis and some other powers. She had so much potential. =/

Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by Merle »

If you liked S2, DF, wait til S3. You ain't seen nothing yet!
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

I watched the episode where the Minbari warrior's body was brought to B5 and vanished.

It didn't seem logical to me that Delenn would take the body and not admit it immediately and up front.

Delenn has started building her structure of crystal pieces.

It was a touching scene when Sinclair declared his respect for the warrior.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Yesterday I watched The Technomages (season 2).

It is one of my favorite episodes. Londo gets one-upped and more by the Technomage. Ivanova is in fine form as head Green Drazi.

Good stuff.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Today I watched A Distant Star (season 2.)

It was a good episode. I never believed that the other captain was Sheridan's first commander. The captain looked and sounded much too young, and the addition of the beard did not help him look older.

I also didn't understand how the pilot used the shadow ship to find his way to the jumpgate, can someone please explain that to me?

Delenn's classic monologue about Star Stuff.

A funny scene among Ivanova, Garibaldi, and Sheridan over what they are supposed to be eating.

BAGNA CALDA

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. olive oil
10 anchovy fillets
1 can boneless sardines
6 garlic cloves, mashed
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper

Heat the olive oil in a small saute pan, add the butter, anchovies, garlic and sardines. Simmer together 10 minutes, mashing ingredients into oil - butter with a fork.
Serve with cut vegetables as a dip, such as artichokes, tomatoes with basil, or spread on Italian bread and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese just before grilling.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Today I watched "Soul Mates", another of my favorites. It had one of my favorite B5 lines "You've devolved!"

The episode has humor and mystery. We see Mrs. Troy's servant (from ST-TNG.) We learn a little about Psi Corps. Most entertaining are Londo's three wives, although G'Kar's reaction to the interaction with one of the wives is priceless.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

GROPOS was a sad episode but one of the most memorable. I especially liked the woman who got together with Garibaldi. She was a fine actor.