Watching the series from the beginning- Spoilers Galore

Still a favorite with many of our regulars, come on in and share your insights on this ground breaking series.

Moderator: Bmat

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Season 2: And Now For A Word

The subliminal messages in the ad for Psi Corps are Trust the Corps and The Corps is your friend. I found this in Wikipedia under a search for subliminal messages. :D

I found at another site that there is an Easter egg on the Season 2 CD's, go to data files, then scroll down to Project Lazarus and click left, the click the logo. I haven't tried it yet.

And Now For A Word was an episode told as if the viewer were watching a news broadcast such as 60 Minutes. The reporter had a bit of an agenda, but it wasn't outrageous. One of Delenn's most memorable scenes is in this episode- when she is interviewed by the reporter. And one of the most clever parts in the series appears in the episode, the ad for Psi Corps.

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Sindatur »

Bmat wrote:Season 2: And Now For A Word

The subliminal messages in the ad for Psi Corps are Trust the Corps and The Corps is your friend. I found this in Wikipedia under a search for subliminal messages. :D

I found at another site that there is an Easter egg on the Season 2 CD's, go to data files, then scroll down to Project Lazarus and click left, the click the logo. I haven't tried it yet.

And Now For A Word was an episode told as if the viewer were watching a news broadcast such as 60 Minutes. The reporter had a bit of an agenda, but it wasn't outrageous. One of Delenn's most memorable scenes is in this episode- when she is interviewed by the reporter. And one of the most clever parts in the series appears in the episode, the ad for Psi Corps.
I just watched this episode in the last week or so myself, and I love the PsiCorps ad, having it on DVD is great, as you can freeze frame to see what the message actually is. I haven't gone back over the special features yet though. I am now on the third episode in S3 A Day in the Strife.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Tonight I watched the one with the Markab's, Confessions and Lamentations, I think it was called.

I couldn't figure out why the title fit, though. Anyone know?

It was certainly an episode that I remembered, maybe because it could happen. And now there is the worry about Avian flu causing widespread deaths.

I hadn't realized that the Plague had killed off 3/4 of the population of Europe. Scary. I read a fictional book about the Plague- Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. I had enjoyed her previous book, To Say Nothing of the Dog, but Doomsday Book was quite grim, well-written, but grim.

I hadn't thought of it before, but this episode was perhaps forshadowing the plague that was delivered to Earth in Crusade, whether deliberate or not I don't know.

Back to the B5 episode: Surely the air would be sterilized before being recycled (?) so it didn't ring true to me that an infection would spread this way. The little girl Markab was very appealing, a good actor.

Things are moving very fast for John and Delenn. One of the funniest scenes appeared in this episode- John participating in a Minbari ceremonial meal. It seems a bit out of character that since a good part of his job is dealing with people of other cultures, that he wouldn't have researched what would happen. His behavior was a bit, or more than a bit, boorish. Jean-Luc would never have behaved like that.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Season 2, Episode 20, The Long Twilight Struggle

An amusing part was where they explained the change in appearance of Draal (who was a different actor than the original) as the healing and rejuvenating effects of the Great Machine.

So far I can't remember that the Great Machine actually did anything in the Shadow War, unless it somehow protected B5 from the Shadows or Earth Force.

I was surprised that there were so many human Rangers.

The visuals on this episode were amazing- the destruction of the Narn homeworld, and the battle with the Shadows in particular.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Season 3 episode 1.

Marcus! 8)

I'd forgotten how he joined the story.

It seemed odd that Ivanova would pick up so quickly on how to operate the systems in the Whitestar. I liked how the Markabs were mentioned.

This was a fairly good episode. I particularly liked the fight on B5 and the way that Sheridon destroyed the Shadow ship. The appearance of Morden and Psi Corps working with the Earth dome leadership is scary.

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Sindatur »

Bmat wrote:Season 3 episode 1.

Marcus! 8)

I'd forgotten how he joined the story.

It seemed odd that Ivanova would pick up so quickly on how to operate the systems in the Whitestar. I liked how the Markabs were mentioned.

This was a fairly good episode. I particularly liked the fight on B5 and the way that Sheridon destroyed the Shadow ship. The appearance of Morden and Psi Corps working with the Earth dome leadership is scary.
Not strange at all. She has an Idetic (Photographic memory). Before she knew a word of Minbari, Marcus told her she was beautiful, and later on, after she has learned, she remembered precisely what he said to her.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Dust to Dust

This is the episode where G'Kar takes a drug, beats up Vir and Londo, and probes Londo's mind. Before G'Kar can learn all that Londo knows, Kosh comes in and distracts G'Kar. If I remember correctly, this is a turning point for G'Kar who becomes a religious leader for the Narns.

I never understood why G'Kar changed. It is because he felt that he was gifted with a vision?

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Sindatur »

Bmat wrote:Dust to Dust

This is the episode where G'Kar takes a drug, beats up Vir and Londo, and probes Londo's mind. Before G'Kar can learn all that Londo knows, Kosh comes in and distracts G'Kar. If I remember correctly, this is a turning point for G'Kar who becomes a religious leader for the Narns.

I never understood why G'Kar changed. It is because he felt that he was gifted with a vision?
Yes, he saw things from a greater perspective from that point on. He also was told by the vision that his people had to be sacrificed for the greater good.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Season 3, Severed Dreams

Episode with what is probably Delenn's most famous line, or one of them:

"This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw, .. or be destroyed." [in the White Star!]
"Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship."
"Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

This is an action-filled episode. Babylon 5 almost loses a battle except for the actions of Delenn.
Last edited by Bmat on Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Ceremonies of Light and Dark

Some great lines by Marcus:

"I see they trained you well back home."
"Yeah, they always said I was carrying around a lot of repressed anger."
"And?"
"I'm not repressed anymore."

"You see, it's like I've always said: 'You can get more with a kind word and a two-by-four than you can with just a kind word.' Please, continue."

Some Minbari are kidnapped by members of Nightwatch. B5 command shut down the computer so new passwords can be assigned so that Earth Force can't use the computer against them.

The Minbari wish to hold a Rebirth Ceremony, and it ends up being held with Delenn recovering from a wound. Part of a Rebirth Ceremony is that you tell a secret that you have never told before and that you give up something you value. Sheridan, Ivanova, Garibaldi, and Franklin all give up their old uniforms. Sheridan confesses deep feelings for Delenn. Garibaldi says that he is afraid of what would happen if he let down his guard, Ivanova confesses that she loved Talia. Franklin admitted that he had a problem.

We see the new uniforms.

The episode wasn't as action-filled, at least not on as great a scale as the previous episode, but there was plenty of tension, and some amusing scenes with Marcus.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Into the Fire

This seems very much like the last episode in a series. The conflict toward which the players have been headed is finished. The main characters sit and reflect at the end, staring out at B5. It would have been a worthy ending.

I see in Lurker's that JMS says that he had hoped that people would say just this. From Lurkers:
So far the general reaction has been, "But...but...what NOW?" which is *exactly* the reaction I was hoping for.
Everybody keeps commenting, "This is the sort of episode you have at the end, not 6 eps into your season." Yep.

We're funny that way....
From this vantage, having seen all of the episodes that follow, but not since a few years ago, it seems to me that it would have been a good ending. But then, I don't remember being disappointed by the rest of the series.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

I just finished the series, again. And I cried most of the way through, again.

I am guessing that Garibaldi must have had his block removed? and gone after Bester?

And that John and Delenn's son must have avoided the Keeper? And Vir must have also?

It's actually good timing to have finished today, since the new DVD is coming out in a couple weeks.