Is Religion Greatly Involved? [Caution, spoilers]

Still a favorite with many of our regulars, come on in and share your insights on this ground breaking series.

Moderator: Bmat

John Thiel
New User
New User

Is Religion Greatly Involved? [Caution, spoilers]

Post by John Thiel »

Has anyone done a study of religious significances in Babylon 5?

[Other posts in this thread contain significant spoilers of one of the episodes, in case people are just viewing the series for the first time. Bmat]
I rule from http://surprisingstories.dcwi.com and no one can take that away from me!

Blogsite: http://360.yahoo.com/bonomo15

Nomad
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Nomad »

JMS has ..through one way or another...Played the religion card all over the series. One of the biggest is that Vorlons have visited us... and in their natural state would have been taken to be Angels. Plain and simple. Consider the Shadows top be the bad guys and thus the devils advocates..etc...

JMS also touches on the Jewesh faith in an episode with Ivana and touches on other religions for other alien cultures. Some good...some bad.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

I just finished re-watching the episode where the religion of the alien family forbade surgery. Franklin tried to deal with this belief when surgery was the only way to save the child's life.

Nomad
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Nomad »

Yes, that was a sad episode. They basically killed the child. I to recall, did the doctor save the child then the family killed him/her or hid the child away so the doc could not save?

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

They killed their own child. Shocking.

Dragonfleet
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by Dragonfleet »

Sif delete my post. =/

Anyway, as I was saying that ep annoyed me. I respected Franklin's decision even though he was respecting their religion for the most part but it was sad what happened after the operation.

Qray

Post by Qray »

Nomad wrote:JMS has ..through one way or another...Played the religion card all over the series. One of the biggest is that Vorlons have visited us...

And there was the Minbari souls being reborn in humans. Also the near deification of Valen and the caste culture that arose from it.

Bmat wrote:I just finished re-watching the episode where the religion of the alien family forbade surgery. Franklin tried to deal with this belief when surgery was the only way to save the child's life.

For the sake of arguement, what if by allowing medical treatment it would doom the child in whatever afterlife awaited the child? How would that change your views?

Nomad
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Nomad »

Suppose that woud matrer depending on your views on what consists of an afterlife, wouldn't it?

Qray

Post by Qray »

Nomad wrote:Suppose that woud matrer depending on your views on what consists of an afterlife, wouldn't it?

That's the beauty of science fiction. Taking current topics and looking at them through the guise of alternate ideas.

Let's for arguements sake say that there is an afterlife and allowing the medical treatment spoke of in the episode would doom one in the afterlife somehow. Is an early death then acceptable?