Babylon 5: The Lost Tales

Still a favorite with many of our regulars, come on in and share your insights on this ground breaking series.

Moderator: Bmat

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Sindatur »

Well, seems like filming should begin Monday or Tuesday, seems like very little could prevent this from coming true now.

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Sindatur »

Subject: Quickie jms report
Date: Today 3:07 AM
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

This will be brief, because it's late and I have an early call tomorrow
-- a longer update will be coming soon via the B5scripts.com mailing
list and elsewhere soon -- but I just wanted to let folks know that
filming is going very well. We're three days in, and so far we're
ahead of schedule, usually about an hour or two. We actually moved a
couple of shots up from tomorrow's call sheet to today. It's just
going really well.

The B5 we see here is similar to but somewhat more sophisticated or
rethought in places. For instance, in B5 halls we used to have wooden
strips painted green or blue or red to signal various sectors. Here we
ran these really lovely light panels that can change colors and at the
same time add a light source and warm up the halls. We also went back
to the original B5 blueprints and found some elements that we wanted to
do in the show but couldn't, and we've incorporated them into the new
sets. We're also re-engineering the look of B5, the starfuries,
various alien ships and the like.

Tonight there was a dinner with Doug, me, Tracy and Bruce, with Peter
Woodward scheduled to fly in tomorrow so everybody's here for a couple
of pivotal scenes that will cross the two segments. (One aside...Bruce
was openly lamenting the small sub-section of british fans -- most of
whom we all agreed couldn't be niftier -- who are determined to try and
drive a wedge between him and me and the rest of the crew. No sooner
was his involvement announced than this same "bunch of whackos" started
the same rumors again, including the one where he supposedly burned his
crew jacket after the end of B5. Determined to put that to rest, he
pulled out all crew coats we made up for him that were personalized by
the wardrobe department and -- minus the one that was auctioned for
charity at a well publicized convention -- brought them ALL up here to
dispel that myth once and for all. So tomorrow we're going to get a
picture of him and me, with either all the coats, or at minimum the one
the nutcases keep saying he burned, just to put THAT baldfaced lie to
bed. The photo will be posted on the nets somewhere soon.)

Otherwise, all is good, and the scenes are cutting together well.
Three days down, seven to go.

jms

message copyright 2006 by
Synethetic Worlds, Ltd.
permissinon to reprint
specifically denied to sfx magazine

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Sindatur »

Disk 1 of Babylon 5 TLT is done with filming of the episodes, some Special Features to be filmed in February, and target date for release is currently set at July 7, 2007 (Wouldn't it be so cool if HP and the Deathly Hallows was released the same day as new Babylon 5?) although that may still change if they are able to sell TV rights.

lastone
Site Regular
Site Regular

Babylon 5: The Lost Tales - Voices in the Dark (2007) (V)

Post by lastone »

Cast (in alphabetical order)
Bruce Boxleitner.... John Sheridan
Keegan MacIntosh.... Prince Regent Dius Vintari
Bruce Ramsay
Teryl Rothery.... ISN reporter
Alan Scarfe.... Priest
Tracy Scoggins.... Colonel Elizabeth Lochley
Peter Woodward.... Galen

Comments: FIlming completed November 24th, 2006
"Goodbye and thanks for the fish"

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Babylon 5: The Lost Tales - Voices in the Dark (2007) (V

Post by Bmat »

lastone wrote: Comments: FIlming completed November 24th, 2006
Excelllllllent!

Qray

Post by Qray »

It's great to see Peter Woodward and Bruce Boxleitner are in it.

wb Lastone!
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Sindatur »

Bruce Boxleitner comments on Babylon 5: TLT "Voices in the Dark" (First "Straight to DVD" installment of the new Babylon 5 stories)

Babylon’ is back

The latest Babylon 5 adventure, Babylon 5: The Lost Tales — Voices in the Dark, won’t air on TV — at least not right away — but will instead by released as a direct-to-DVD movie in late July, timed to coincide, promotionally, with the annual Comic-Con in San Diego.

Bruce Boxleitner returns as Interstellar Alliance President John Sheridan, who returns to Babylon 5 for the 10th anniversary of the founding of the Alliance. The only other returning series regulars in this first of the proposed series of Lost Tales DVD movies are Elizabeth Lochley (Tracy Scoggins), now a Colonel and still commanding Babylon 5, and Galen (Peter Woodward). A third story featuring Michael Garibaldi (Mike Doyle) was dropped due to time constraints on the production but may be used in a future installment. J. Michael Straczynski, the series creator, returned to write and direct this production, which was filmed on virtual sets in Vancouver.

“We had two old pieces,” Boxleitner said after a panel for an upcoming Hallmark Channel film he stars in. “Two Star Furies they found somewhere on a back lot and dusted them off.

“In one way it was a great reunion, and in one way, it felt like we had never shut down production. It’s a great script. Joe is one of the finest television writers I’ve ever worked with and he gave me material I haven’t seen the likes of since the show, really juicy stuff to delve into — aspects of Sheridan we had not played before.”

Sheridan will be more of an elder statesmen, Boxleitner said. “He’s a man who’s more likely to weigh things instead of being so action-oriented. We used to joke he was John ‘Nuke Em’ Sheridan. He’s much wiser now and more seasoned.”

Some things stayed the same, much to Boxleitner’s delight: “They found the original wardrobe and I proudly say I still fit.”

Boxleitner said the company that produces visual effects for Sci Fi Channel’s Battlestar Galactica will do the FX for this new Babylon 5 production.

“The ships, the station, they’ll all be recognizable but new. There are some additions and some of the original ships will have things added to them just like we do nowadays, new weaponry, things like that,” Boxleitner said.

The film will also include mentions of the whereabouts of characters that will never be seen again because the actors who played them have died: Richard Biggs (he played Dr. Franklin) and Andreas Katsulas (G’Kar).

“The way Joe handled the loss of those [actors] who are no longer with us, how he did it, I thank him so much,” Boxleitner said. “Their characters’ futures are revealed and I get to do it in a very loving way. They’re still around. It’s a way to give a nod to Andreas and Richard, an homage to them.”

Qray

Post by Qray »

Sindatur wrote:The film will also include mentions of the whereabouts of characters that will never be seen again because the actors who played them have died: Richard Biggs (he played Dr. Franklin) and Andreas Katsulas (G’Kar).

“The way Joe handled the loss of those [actors] who are no longer with us, how he did it, I thank him so much,” Boxleitner said. “Their characters’ futures are revealed and I get to do it in a very loving way. They’re still around. It’s a way to give a nod to Andreas and Richard, an homage to them.”
I'm impressed by the way JMS has gone about dealing with the actor's deaths in the series. Much better than recasting the characters (which I doubt he'd ever do, but some people have suggested it.) It puts some closure on the actor's deaths for the fans and lets the fans feel that both Franklin and G'KAr are still out there, doing what they do best.

He could've simply not mentioned the two characters. Essentially writing them out of the story, and yet, he found a much better way to deal with it.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

Nautilus
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Nautilus »

Trailer for DVD is up on http://babylon5.warnerbros.com Flash based(??) black screen with a countdown starts. First page should come up, then click on main menu.

It sure is nice to hear the music again and with new footage. :D

Nomad
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Nomad »

I have ordered my DVD Wooo Hooo

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Sindatur »

Wow, just checked the DVD again, and it's back up to # 14 selling DVD (Got up to about #6 when Pre-sales first went on sale, and then dropped to 30 something).

Surely for a straight to DVD release this kind of staying power just in pre-sales has got to be a very good indication of strong sales, and will lead to a green light for the next Disc (where's that crossing fingers emoticon?)

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

I pre-ordered mine a couple days ago. They are saying release date is July 31.

Here is the description from Amazon.com:
Times change. Dangers remain. 10 years after he became President of the Interstellar Alliance, Sheridan prepares for a fateful Babylon 5 reunion that could prevent Earth's impending doom...if he will also compromise his core principles. Meanwhile, commander Lochley confronts an unexpected interloper on the way station - a being whose presence makes the B5 freeport the crossroads between heaven and hell. In Voices in the Dark, Series creator J. Michael Straczynski reunites with stars Bruce Boxleitner and Tracy Scoggins in two richly imagined stories set after the events of the original series. Richly imagined, too, is Straczynski's vision of the 23rd century (including a dazzling New York City) - a vision made more spectacular via filmmaking technology unavailable during the original series.