Munduphen?

Still a favorite with many of our regulars, come on in and share your insights on this ground breaking series.

Moderator: Bmat

Post Reply
User avatar
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Posts: 5900
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:31 pm
Location: East coast US

Munduphen?

Post by Bmat »

Has anyone watched the special extras on the DVD after Chrysalis? In the section where the producer, actors, etc where talking about the making of B5 one of the men, I forget who it was, not an actor, talked about the munduffin that was something...

I have no idea what the spelling is, I searched in my dictionary and on google. Does anyway have any idea what this could be?

Something that JMS said about Sinclair being replaced by Sheridan was that Sinclair had already been involved with the Minbari and it would have been too much to have him involved with the Shadows also. I am skeptical. Now that I've seen Sinclair again it comes back to me how much more I liked him than Sheridan. The restraint and sense of inner privacy were appealling. Of course now that I know what becomes of him it makes sense.

User avatar
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:37 pm

Re: Munduphen?

Post by Sindatur »

Bmat wrote:Has anyone watched the special extras on the DVD after Chrysalis? In the section where the producer, actors, etc where talking about the making of B5 one of the men, I forget who it was, not an actor, talked about the munduffin that was something...

I have no idea what the spelling is, I searched in my dictionary and on google. Does anyway have any idea what this could be?

Something that JMS said about Sinclair being replaced by Sheridan was that Sinclair had already been involved with the Minbari and it would have been too much to have him involved with the Shadows also. I am skeptical. Now that I've seen Sinclair again it comes back to me how much more I liked him than Sheridan. The restraint and sense of inner privacy were appealling. Of course now that I know what becomes of him it makes sense.


I haven't seen the "Extras" you're speaking of, but, JMS has said in the past that he had to create the Sheridan character, because there was too much for the hero to do throughout the series than could be heaped on just one character. Originally War without End would've been at the end of the Series, if JMS had never added the Sheridan character. So, after deciding to add to add the Sheridan character, sinclair was supposed to be around on the station longer than he was, but, the actor decided it time to go on to other things, so Sheridan was brought in earlier than expected and Sinclair was written to have become a the Ambassador, and returned as a guest for WWE

User avatar
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Posts: 5900
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:31 pm
Location: East coast US

Post by Bmat »

I am thinkng that munduphun may be a term used in filming, but have no idea really. Perhaps it is French even. Monde du fin? But he said munduphen. Whatever the spelling is. The extras on the DVD were mildly interesting. They go pretty fast. And we watched Chrysalis again with the comment voice over.

It makes more sense the way you explain it, Sindatur, the bringing in of Sheridan.

User avatar
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:37 pm

Post by Sindatur »

Is it possible this is what he was talking about?

[A maguffin is a film device where the writer creates a situation only to get the characters from one place to another, or to create an artificial source of conflict for the characters. If you've ever seen Psycho, the first 30 minutes of the film involves a woman stealing money and then trying to avoid getting caught. This plotline is not actually important, except that it gets the woman into an abandoned hotel run by the serial killer Norman Bates. In the movie Pulp Fiction, the whole plot revolves around two assassins trying to retrieve a stolen briefcase. The contents of the briefcase are alluded to, but never explained because its not essential to the rest of the plot.]

User avatar
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Posts: 5900
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:31 pm
Location: East coast US

Post by Bmat »

Thank you, Sindatur! That has to be it! Now I need to go back and watch the DVD again to see what maguffin it referred to.

User avatar
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Posts: 5900
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:31 pm
Location: East coast US

Post by Bmat »

Since I found out what MacGuffin was, I have noticed it twice.

Once was toward the end of a book I was reading. But just tonight I saw it again and in a very clever way.

I was watching Due South on DVD and the maid was called Mrs. Guff. The next scene showed the assignment board for housekeeping, and it was in the form of a grid. The name Guff was there all right. In the grid to the left was Mac. The grid to the right was the column that tracked who (on the left) was in and who was out, and sure enough, Mrs. Guff was "In."

User avatar
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:37 pm

Post by Sindatur »

Bmat wrote:Since I found out what MacGuffin was, I have noticed it twice.

Once was toward the end of a book I was reading. But just tonight I saw it again and in a very clever way.

I was watching Due South on DVD and the maid was called Mrs. Guff. The next scene showed the assignment board for housekeeping, and it was in the form of a grid. The name Guff was there all right. In the grid to the left was Mac. The grid to the right was the column that tracked who (on the left) was in and who was out, and sure enough, Mrs. Guff was "In."


Was the fact that Mrs. Guff was in, a McGuffin?

User avatar
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Posts: 5900
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:31 pm
Location: East coast US

Post by Bmat »

Sindatur wrote:Was the fact that Mrs. Guff was in, a McGuffin?


Heh! I think so. She was a vehicle for moving the matchbook from one place to another. :)

Post Reply