Saddest Episode?

Still a favorite with many of our regulars, come on in and share your insights on this ground breaking series.

Moderator: Bmat

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Saddest Episode?

Post by Bmat »

I recently watched GROPOS and felt sad at the end. However, the sadness was not as great as at the end of the episode where the entire race died of disease- I don't remember the name, but Delenn and Lennier stayed in the room in B5 trying to minister to the sick people, including children.

Then there was the one where Marcus died.

What other episodes made you feel sad?

Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by Merle »

"Sleeping in Light." Cliche, perhaps, but watching Delenn's agony as John simply "stopped," to use Lorien's word, and then seeing that she always watched the sunrise thereafter.... well, I'm getting teary eyed just typing it. Mira Furlan is such a superior actress, she made Delenn's mourning so real.

I also felt so sad for G'kar when Delenn revealed to him that she had known about the Shadows and their assistance to the Centauri, and that the Minbari had intentionally not intervened because they couldn't risk the Shadows discovering that the Minbari were aware of them. G'kar's pain, and sense of betrayal was so far beyond his ability to be angry over it. And Delenn felt so abysmally ashamed for not doing anything. It was a powerful scene, well acted, and tremendously moving.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Good points, Merle. I hadn't thought ahead far enough. Yes I cried when I watched Delenn's bereavement, partly because I felt that it was wrong that she wasn't allowed to accompany John in his last moments.

I also cried when B5 was blown up, again it was because I felt it should have been preserved as a hospital or prison or condos or something, or broken down and used for the raw materials.

I felt badly in a recent episode that I just watched where G'Kar pleaded with John and then Delenn for help against the Centauri, his feeling of helplessness was so evident.

I can't recall the scene that you mentioned, Merle, about Delenn's telling G'Kar that the Minbari had known. I am not surprised that it is a powerful scene.

Another sad episode was the one where Franklin operated on the child against the parents' wishes and they killed the child.

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Sindatur »

Bmat wrote:Good points, Merle. I hadn't thought ahead far enough. Yes I cried when I watched Delenn's bereavement, partly because I felt that it was wrong that she wasn't allowed to accompany John in his last moments.

I also cried when B5 was blown up, again it was because I felt it should have been preserved as a hospital or prison or condos or something, or broken down and used for the raw materials.

I felt badly in a recent episode that I just watched where G'Kar pleaded with John and then Delenn for help against the Centauri, his feeling of helplessness was so evident.

I can't recall the scene that you mentioned, Merle, about Delenn's telling G'Kar that the Minbari had known. I am not surprised that it is a powerful scene.

Another sad episode was the one where Franklin operated on the child against the parents' wishes and they killed the child.
Sleeping in Light, definitely.

There were so many truly sad moments. Confessions and Lamentations (Markab race dying) was one I watched last night, and of course, Londo watching the culmination of his dirty work in The Long Twilight Struggle, as the mass drivers are bombing Narn back to the stone age. Susan sitting Shiva in TKO. Comes the Inquisitor, watching Delenn beign tortured. Delenn coming clean with G'Kar about the army of light, and telling him she knew. Believers when the parents killed Schon. So many sad scenes.

Qray

Post by Qray »

In the episode The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari. From the point where Londo (in his unconscious dream state) debates with G'kar about why he shouldn't have been Emperor to his apology to G'kar in the MedLab.

JMS did a great job in writing a character that showed a desire to see his people's power and status restored at almost any cost, but in the end realized that some costs are just too high. However, as good a job as JMS did writing the character, IMO Peter Jurasik far surpassed anything that could be hoped for. He played the part of Londo superbly. The emotion conveyed during the scenes mentioned truly made me feel sadness for Londo. As he finally admits to himself that some prices are to high to pay, realizes what he's done, and apologizes for it.

It seems as if we were on a long roller-coaster ride with Londo. From the early episodes were he was just a back water diplomat with dreams of the glory and days gone by...to chance meetings and opportunities to gain power...to a status that he both wanted and hated...to his final redemption.