B5: The Lost Tales Vol 1 (Voices in the Dark) Spoilers

Still a favorite with many of our regulars, come on in and share your insights on this ground breaking series.

Moderator: Bmat

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

B5: The Lost Tales Vol 1 (Voices in the Dark) Spoilers

Post by Sindatur »

Apparently Aetheists think the Lochley episode pushes religion and confirms the existence of God in the B5 Universe, and it didn't go over well with some of them. I saw it as the opposite, and I would think it would be more likely Fire and Brimstone Fundamentalist Whack Jobs would be the ones upset, as the episode, I believe clearly left the impression that God might just be an Alien that Mythology was built around. Here's my reply to some of those who felt religion was being forced on them and the episode confirmed God in the B5 Universe (minor spoilers). I haven't seen any complaints about the second episode with Sheridan, though

Wow, I'm shocked anyone Aetheist would think the Lochley episode took the side of Religion. Looking at it through an Aetheistic prism, I thought the episode showed very clearly that God is not a certainty. The "Demon" never said the name God, the Priest did, and the "Demon" merely went with it. The Priest talked about how venturing into space has eroded faith in God. How come people can't see that Lorien (or any other big, bad ancient race) could be the roots behind the Faith of God.

Looking at it from through my own personal views of Faith (but, not belonging to an organized religion, and completely against "Fire and Brimstone" religion) it seems to me, it would be more likely that Fundamentalists would be upset at the fact the episode suggested that God could just be an Alien that a myth was built around, even the Priest himself, the way I read it was sturggling with his own Faith, and I didn't see that change, especially after Lochley gave the "demon" the slap down, and proved you don't have to be a Theologen to get the better of a "demon"

I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode, it was very Twilight-zone-ish or like an episode of the Haunting. There is every reason to believe, in my mind that JMS was slyly slamming religion and showing it is just mythology created by someone who didn't comprehend an Alien visitation (and the prior history we have with the Vorlons appearing as Aliens to manipulate us, proves that point to me)

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

I was expecting episodes such as I enjoyed with B5, so I was disappointed in that respect. I don't feel any need, right now anyway, to watch the episodes again.

As the song says, "A litle less talk and a lot more action" would have made the episodes more fun to watch. They were a pleasant reminiscing of characters and universe that I enjoyed, but as far as being fast moving, they weren't. There was considerable philosophy and monologue. Not that there is anything wrong with that, if that is what one likes and what one is expecting.

If I had known that part I was mainly a philosophical discussion, then maybe I wouldn't have been so disappointed. The second part had a bit more of what I liked about B5.

Concerning whether part I was pro or con religion. I understand what you are saying, Sindatur. What was keeping the beings, if they are aliens, on the planet, if not deity? Perhaps I dozed during that part.

The second part was more satisfying, as I said. I was very glad it ended as it did. It was good to see Sheridan again.

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Sindatur »

Bmat wrote:I was expecting episodes such as I enjoyed with B5, so I was disappointed in that respect. I don't feel any need, right now anyway, to watch the episodes again.

As the song says, "A litle less talk and a lot more action" would have made the episodes more fun to watch. They were a pleasant reminiscing of characters and universe that I enjoyed, but as far as being fast moving, they weren't. There was considerable philosophy and monologue. Not that there is anything wrong with that, if that is what one likes and what one is expecting.

If I had known that part I was mainly a philosophical discussion, then maybe I wouldn't have been so disappointed. The second part had a bit more of what I liked about B5.

Concerning whether part I was pro or con religion. I understand what you are saying, Sindatur. What was keeping the beings, if they are aliens, on the planet, if not deity? Perhaps I dozed during that part.

The second part was more satisfying, as I said. I was very glad it ended as it did. It was good to see Sheridan again.
Well, we know at least some Angels were Vorlons, perhaps all Angels were Vorlons. That would mean all religion on Earth sprung from the Shadows and the Vorlons interference. If Asmodeus was a Shadow MInion, it makes sense that it was imprisoned by the Vorlons, but really, "God" could be any number of Aliens. Remember, Asmodeus didn't say God imprisoned it, it only said it couldn't speak his name, and went along with Father Cassidy's assumption it was speaking of God. Asmodei is a lower demon, a Minion, and not Lucifer himself