Vir and Sam

Still a favorite with many of our regulars, come on in and share your insights on this ground breaking series.

Moderator: Bmat

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Vir and Sam

Post by Bmat »

Have you ever considered the similarities between Vir and Sam?

Both were a bit rotund. Both earnest.

Vir grew as a person. Sam also grew.

RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by RHFay »

Interesting comparison, Bmat. Makes one wonder if it was coincidence, or deliberate.

One thing I enjoyed about Babylon 5 was that it wasn't afraid to openly display its influences. One of my favourite episodes was the one with Michael York as the troubled man who thought he was King Arthur. I also remember there was one about the search for the Grail extending out into space. The makers of Babylon 5 did not shy away from openly utilizing past myths, legends, and literature in their stories.

Nothing develops in a vacuum. To think what came before has no influence whatsoever on later works ignores the influence of the past, whether it be on a conscious level or a subconcious one.
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

I suspect it was coincidence, but since it worked for Lord of the Rings, maybe it was picked up for B5.

The likable, earnest sidekick, who also brings a comic touch.

I am wondering if there are other stories with the same formula.

Well... one that comes immediately to mind is the Cisco Kid whose sidekick Pancho was likable and comic, but not portly nor earnest.

How about Sancho Panza, was he portly and earnest and a bit humorous?

The old TV Zorro- his sidekick was portly and funny.

The Sherlock Holmes series with Basil Rathbone, his Watson, Nigel Bruce (?) was portly and silly, which was not true to the books.