If you were a character in B5, which character would you be?

Still a favorite with many of our regulars, come on in and share your insights on this ground breaking series.

Moderator: Bmat

If you were in the B5 Universe, which race would you be?

Centauri
No votes
Drazi
No votes
One of the "First One" races. (Other than Vorlon or Shadow.)
25%
Human
No votes
Minbari
No votes
Narn
No votes
Pak'ma'ra
No votes
Shadow
No votes
Vorlon
50%
Other (Abbai, Brakiri, Gaim, Dilgar, Drakh, The "Hand," Hyach, Markab, Streibs, Vendrizi, Vree, Zener, etc.)
25%

Total votes: 4

Qray

Post by Qray »

Also the poll for this topic...if you were in the B5 Universe, which race would you be?
Last edited by Qray on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Boikat »

Characterwise, Geribaldi.

Race-wise, Felid, of course. But since they didn't have a "Felid" race, I guess Narn
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

These are difficult (but intriguing) questions, and I'll have to think about it and see how others answer.

By which race and which character, does it mean which race and character do I most admire...

I think I wouldn't want to be Narn or Centauri because the Narn became almost exterminated and enslaved, and the Centauri planet was being attacked.

I wouldn't want to be Shadow, because although they were able to get around well and to be invisible, I have moral issues with them.

Pak'ma'ra doesn't seem to be much fun, although this is an outsider's point of view- they may have a rollicking good time from their own perspective.

Drazi are cool, but to feel compelled to fight on the draw of a scarf doesn't appeal.

Minbari may be a good choice. They have strong a strong moral code, they are confident in their decisions, they are physically strong and long-lived. Although the balance of their society is tottering with the shifting of the Council. They also have very good technology.

Vorlons can appear to be different beings. They have telepathic ability and interesting technology. They drove, or lead, other races towards the Vorlons' own ends. I don't have as much of a problem ethics-wise with this as I do with the Shadows.

Humans are flexible, although strongly influenced by Vorlon and Shadow. Fairly weak physically, and not much by way of telepathy unless they are born into it. Advanced technology largely developed from that of other races. They are also hopeful and creative- as for example the creation and running of the Babylon stations.

The other First One Races had evolved greatly, but did they enjoy life?

I am leaning toward Minbari- the strong, advanced, and techology characteristics.

Now for characters: If it means which character would I prefer to be because I approve of the character's actions:

Maybe the maintenance people- I'm not enthusiastic about physical confrontations.

The telepathic human lady got a raw deal.

If we are asking which character, with the character having to live exactly the life that we observed, I'd want to say one of the characters that was relatively happy- maybe Lochley.

I admire Delenn, but she was suffering at the end, and John was dead, and G'Kar and Londo soon would be.

And Vir was relishing emperorhood- but what about the possiblity of a Keeper, and Lennier had wiped out his self-respect.

Sinclair seemed to have a tremendous burden.

Garibaldi was intelligent and humorous, but controlled by his alcoholism, not to mention Bester's implant.

Bester had power but great sadness, and ruthlessness that goes against my beliefs.

Perhaps Zack, he didn't seem to live too dangerously, nor driven by undesirable influences.

Or how about the person in the Great Machine- that person could travel mentally, but then, he is stuck in a machine.

Qray

Post by Qray »

Bmat wrote:These are difficult (but intriguing) questions, and I'll have to think about it and see how others answer.

By which race and which character, does it mean which race and character do I most admire...
Either that or which character and race do you see as being the most like you.

Myself, Garibaldi. Many similarities which I won't go into now. Which probably explains why I thought JMS's handling of the storyline of Garibaldi's disappearance was so lame. JMS did a great job with the arc, but there was a definite wtf moment there.

As for the race...the First Ones at Sigma 957. Mainly because they had that killer ship that looked like someone stuck a tree to the bottom of the ship from Close Encounters, and I'm always falling for women that are nothing but trouble for me. :wink:

Qray

Post by Qray »

Bmat wrote:The telepathic human lady got a raw deal.
Which one? Talia or Lyta?

IMO Talia (and the actress that played her, Andrea Thompson,) got exactly what they had coming to her. :twisted:

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

I agree about Talia.

Lyta was the one I was thinking of. They did take her for granted and should have done more for her- the people running B5, that is.