JMS Speaks

Still a favorite with many of our regulars, come on in and share your insights on this ground breaking series.

Moderator: Bmat

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Thank you, Sindatur.

Good luck to him. If it all works out, then it could be a shot in the arm for B5.

Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by Merle »

Wow! I'll keep my fingers, toes, arms, legs, and eyes crossed for him!
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.

Qray

Post by Qray »

Is it me, or are rumors of new JMS projects a dime a dozen, even from JMS himself.

Whatever happened to the movie version of Rising Stars?

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Is that the B5 movie that was supposedly in the works a year or so ago? It was abandonned.

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Sindatur »

Bmat wrote:Is that the B5 movie that was supposedly in the works a year or so ago? It was abandonned.

No, Rising Stars was a Graphic Novel of JMS's, he had "issues"
with the rights holders. TMOS (The Memory of Shadows) was the B5 Movie that was abandoned because WB Didn't want to fund the movie without Big Stars in our beloved character's roles, and the small time outfit WB hooked JMS up with couldn't afford the financing. So, no financing was available, movie scrapped.

In this case, Ron Howard actually bought and Paid for the movie rights, cash money, which means he is interested in it, and is unlikely he would've actually purchased it if he didn't intend to do it. It's still possible it won't come about, but, JMS only says the rights were purchased (and people talking about it as if it's a certain thing to be made are a little premature). So, in this case JMS only said it's purchased, so we can't blame him if this one doesn't get made.

Nomad
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Nomad »

When you say "In this case", I assume you men "The Changeling" and not TMOS?

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

I believe that would be correct, Nommy. The Memory of Shadows IS already dead and buried (though resurrection isn't out of the picture, of course) for the time being. This movie should help him to get money together as well as getting his name out there in films. That may help JMS to get stronger backing for any B5 stuff he tries to film, as well as helping him to have money to work with in case he CAN'T get the backing. Well, at least that's what I hope, but of course he might have just dropped B5 completely, too....
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

Nomad
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Nomad »

I don't think thaT JMS will EVER drop B5 from anything. He has SOOO much more to tell. For B5, he is a visionary.

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Sindatur »

Comic Con Highlights from JMS

--JMS sold a movie to Ron Howard. It’s a thriller/mystery movie set in the ‘20s in Los Angeles. They want to get it into production as fast as possible and JMS is flying up there on the 3rd to meet with Ron Howard and those guys to go over the script and make sure everything is where it needs to be. It’s going to be a big budget film. Ron Howard is a nice guy. The first time JMS had a phone conference with him about the script, JMS called him Mr. Howard and the reply was “You hired my dad on Babylon 5, you can call me whatever you want.” Possibly it could be in production by the first part of next year.

--JMS was up in Toronto recently and they did a 12 episode radio drama series for the CBC called the Adventures of Apocalypse Al. It’s kind of a film noir style comedy drama science fiction supernatural series a la Men In Black or Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. It’s in little 5 minute chunks and it’s fall-down funny.

--A pilot for Touchstone has started for a dramatic prime time network series called Borrowed Lives. It was actually sold last year but it was too late to go into development but now they’re actually in the script stage.

--Rising Stars is in development with Sam Raimi’s production company for a series.

--Midnight Nation is being bid on by two different studios for a movie.

--He pitched Dream Police to a major studio, they want to do a motion picture and they’re negotiating now for JMS to write it.

--And there’s something else…WB came to him as they do periodically wanting to do something with B5. They asked if he wanted to do a feature film but JMS declined mainly because he can’t yet picture structuring a B5 movie “…as long as Andreas and Rick insist on staying dead.” Maybe in a year or two he’ll be able to but right now he can’t do something big. What JMS suggested was a bunch of short films—little mini-movies, an anthology show set in the Babylon 5 universe. They said, “Okay.” There’s a network already interested in carrying them but they’re also planned for direct to DVD. This will be “Babylon 5 – The Lost Tales’, a lot of small stories that never made it into the series that he’s rediscovered notes for. And JMS wants no interference, complete creative support – in writing. They said, “Okay.” And JMS wants to direct them. They said, “Okay.” The first will be three individual stories about three of the main characters (to be determined). The plan is to shoot in September, post-production Oct.-Dec. and they’ll probably come out the second quarter of 2007.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Thanks, Sindatur!

Films coming out set in the B5 universe!

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Sindatur »

Bmat wrote:Thanks, Sindatur!

Films coming out set in the B5 universe!

At the moment, no, not feature films, he is still mourning Andreas too powerfully to be up to that job (He mentions perhaps in a year or two). The B5 universe stuff is like an anthology series (Maybe 1 hour episodes) of short stories to enrich the tapestry of the universe, which they are shopping for a network for, and if no network bites, they'll release them on DVD and maybe for downloads as well.

The Ron Howard film seems to be a definite go, which should give him some theatrical clout under his belt. Also Rising Stars and Dream Police seem to be a go, and Midnight Nation a good possibility.

Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Sindatur »

An update from JMS:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the other questions that have arisen: we're looking at 3 half-hour episodes/stories for the first DVD, with additional features and the like in the other half hour. Each story will be worked around a given established character, the specifics of which are still TBD contingent upon availabilities and other issues.

We have a budget, we're greenlit, we're going.

As for what prompted the interest now at WB...it's only recently that they've finally run through all 5 seasons, which for many years now has been a constant source of revenue, and I think they would love to have something to continue to with. The recent news re: Changeling probably didn't hurt, but the deal was actually being negotiated long before there *was* a feature film deal with Imagine. As I recall, we finalized the deal right around the time that the Imagine news was announced.

It was a rather extraordinary 24 hours.

I held off saying anything until I was cleared by WB to announce it as a go project. Ultimately, whether we shoot in Vancouver or elsewhere will be a function of the deal that gets made locally.