Best Season of the Next Gen

The grand daddy of Science Fiction as a franchise, Speculative Vision salutes the genius that is Star Trek.

Moderator: Bmat

RobvonHuge
Just Registered
Just Registered

Best Season of the Next Gen

Post by RobvonHuge »

What is the best Star Trek: Next Generation Series?

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Re: Best Season of the Next Gen

Post by Ariel »

Hello Rob! Welcome to Speculative Vision! :D

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Hello Rob

I watch all series of ST:TNG, but it was sometime ago now, I wouldn't know which was the best season.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

I just bought Seasons 3 and 5. They have my favorite episodes on them- The one with L'wexana (Troy's mother) kidnapped by the Ferengi, and the one where Picard is on the planet with the other ship captain trying to communicate.

Qray

Post by Qray »

Bmat wrote:I just bought Seasons 3 and 5. They have my favorite episodes on them- The one with L'wexana (Troy's mother) kidnapped by the Ferengi, and the one where Picard is on the planet with the other ship captain trying to communicate.

Was that the episode in which the other Captain communicated by citing past stories from his culture? "Ashan when the walls fell, his eyes wide open."

I always thought that it would be interesting for the crew to go back and revisit some of the cultures they made first contact with. You never see any of these cultures in subsiquent episodes.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Qray wrote:
Bmat wrote:I just bought Seasons 3 and 5. They have my favorite episodes on them- The one with L'wexana (Troy's mother) kidnapped by the Ferengi, and the one where Picard is on the planet with the other ship captain trying to communicate.

Was that the episode in which the other Captain communicated by citing past stories from his culture? "Ashan when the walls fell, his eyes wide open."

I always thought that it would be interesting for the crew to go back and revisit some of the cultures they made first contact with. You never see any of these cultures in subsiquent episodes.

Yes, that's the one. I am interested in language and communication, and I found this episode dealing with a different way of using language to be fascinating. Another aspect of communication, body language, I think could have been brought into stories more. I kind of remember that the aliens with the antennae (the antennae moved in other series) - that their antennae moved and reflected their feelings, but I'm not sure.

Qray

Post by Qray »

So what did you think of the "Star Trek : Enterprise" series then? It seemed like just about every episode of the first season dealt with communication difficulties of some kind among the alien species they met. There was never an episode like the TNG "Darmok" episode in which the entire plot centered around not comprehending another species, but it was a reccuring theme.

I do recall one Enterprise episode in which Hoshi was having problems decifering an alien language due to the subtle body language the species used as part of it's communications. They never made a plot point out of it though. Other than having it add to Hoshi's general difficulty in communicating with the species.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

I vaguely recall that episode. I didn't care for Enterprise though and was never a steady viewer. I didn't like ST Voyager though and am watching it now on reruns.

Qray

Post by Qray »

I think that was the general consensus about Enterprise. Most people didn't like it and personally I don't know why. IMO, next to TOS, Enterprise was the best ST series of the bunch. Granted, they made a lot of mistakes with the series, but it still ranks up there at #2 for me.

I'm the same when it came to Voyager. From the very first episode where I asked myself "water? They've mastered intersteller flight, but can't figure out how to make H[sup]2[/sup]O?!?!?!"

As the seasons progressed and they settled down it got better though. Which I think is indicative of all the ST series with the possible exception of TOS. Look at the first two seasons of TNG compared to some of the latter.

I always thought season 6 of TNG was quite good. It's got all the prerequisite Q (Tapestry,) Holodeck (A Fistful of Datas and Ship in a Bottle,) Time travel (Time's Arrow,) and Borg (Descent) episodes. As well as a couple good episodes featuring the Klingons, a real good origins story (The Chase,) and of course an episode featuring Scotty. It also begins to set the stage for the DS9 series with the introduction of the Cardassians and mentions of the Bajorans and the Maquis.

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

I don't know why people didn't like Voyager, I enjoyed Voyager... :?

I was not a fan of Enterprise when it started, but grow to like it over time...

The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Master »

In general I break ST: TNG into "before Locutus" and "after Locutus". This was The Best of Both World's cliffhanger which was between season 3 and 4. It was here that ST: TNG really caught its stride and established itself firmly as a series in its own right and not just as a sequel. The success of that episode broadened the TNG audience and elevated "Resistance is Futile" to a bona fide cultural phenomenon. Season 4 rides the wave with a slate of strong quality episodes culminating in the Redemption cliffhanger, where The Klingon Empire descends into civil war.

Therefore, I would say that Season 4 was probably its best overall season ever.

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

I would have to go with Season Six. Some of my favourite episodes there, including "Tapestry" (Picard's journey back in time (a what-if-I-had-done-things-differently? episode with impressive, sentimental results), "True Q" (Q finds an heir, of sorts, and man is she pretty! :lol:), "Lessons" (a Picard romance story), "Schisms" (a creepy alien abduction story), "Rightful Heir" (great Klingon story) and "Descent, Part 1" (powerful Borg battle with a shocking cliff-hanger!)

Then again Season Five comes in a close second with very emotional, Human episodes like "Ensign Ro", "The Game", "Hero Worship", "The First Duty", and of course, "I, Borg."

And Season Seven a close third for its overall storytelling and visual quality.