speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Ricardo Montalban dies

The grand daddy of Science Fiction as a franchise, Speculative Vision salutes the genius that is Star Trek.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Ricardo Montalban dies

Postby The Master » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:03 am

More very sad news as an iconic actor Ricardo Montaban, who embodied everything the phrase "suave coolness" can imply, leaves us. We will miss you Khan!

He was 88, and widely known for playing the charming, godlike Mr. Roarke, whose magical machinations fulfilled wishes on TV's "Fantasy Island."

As a TV pitchman, he was often parodied for describing the "Corinthian leather" feature of Chrysler cars.

Montalban's death was reportedly announced at an L.A. City Council meeting by president Eric Garcetti, who represents the district where the actor lived. A theatre named after the actor is situated in Garcetti's district.

In 1970 Mr. Montalban organized fellow Latino actors into a group called Nosotros ("We"). The goal was to improve the image and opportunities of Spanish-speaking Americans in entertainment.

He wrote a 1980 autobiography, "Reflections: A Life in Two Worlds." After work in Mexico's film industry, Mr. Montalban first came to fame in America as a star of M-G-M movie musicals, playing the Latin-lover stock figure. With bathing-beauty star Esther Williams, he starred in the pictures "Fiesta," "On an Island with You" and "Neptune's Daughter."

Mr. Montalban's late-career, famous screen credits included playing villains in "Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan" (he was joyless Khan) and "The Naked Gun."

On Broadway he wooed Lena Horne in the Caribbean fantasy Jamaica, with songs by Harold Arlen and Yip Harburg. He was nominated for a 1958 Tony as Best Actor in a Musical for the Jamaica role, which had been intended for Harry Belafonte. Mr. Montalban is heard on that show's cast album, and the album of his other Broadway musical credit, Seventh Heaven (1955). In 1973 he appeared in the brief Broadway engagement of George Bernard Shaw's Don Juan in Hell. The production also featured Agnes Moorehead, Edward Mulhare and Paul Henreid.

Mr. Montalban also toured as the King of Siam in The King and I in the 1960s.

"Smiles, everyone, smiles," he would admonish his employees on "Fantasy Island," as wish-seeking visitors arrived by seaplane to his tropical paradise. Dressed in a white suit and accompanied by an exotic little person named Tattoo (played by Herve Villechaize), Mr. Montalban's all-powerful host fulfilled dreams that often left his visitors enriched and enlightened.

The show ran on ABC-TV 1978-84. A network reboot almost 20 years later starring Malcolm McDowell flopped.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Re: Ricardo Montalban dies

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:44 pm

KHANNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Nomad » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:20 pm

Yet another bummer...I like him. (Yeah, I know...shot and sweet, like his side kick!..he BOSSS ZEE Plane)
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby The Master » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:55 pm

Nomad's back! (again)

Hi Nommy. :)
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery