speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

What did you think of the grand finale?

The grand daddy of Science Fiction as a franchise, Speculative Vision salutes the genius that is Star Trek.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

What did you think of the grand finale?

Postby Bmat » Sat May 14, 2005 3:36 pm

I thought it was fitting. I don't think I could have done any better.

I didn't like the character dying. I did think that although the device of bringing in the TNG people was clever, that it placed the Enterprise crew as of lesser importance. It was fun to see the TNG characters, though, and perhaps since it was the end of a long time of Star Trek it was right to pull it together by combining the two series.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Neurolanis » Tue May 17, 2005 8:46 pm

Yeah, wow that was a surprise!!

I was shocked that they had Trip die! I mean, he was the best character wasn't he? Certainly the most human. He was something of an innocent, I thought. There was a hint (or more of a promise) that he and the Tupal (is that right?) were going to get hitched. Couldn't even give the loyal fans that, huh? Grrr.

The episode seemed all confused, really. Like different writers were contributing different sections that they pasted all together as a mesh of quickly invented ideas. (What the heck -- go with it!) I was overjoyed to see Will and Dianna and the old Enterprise D again! A real treat! Yet, at the same time I felt as though it was a mistake and just confused things.

The idea that the "to bodly go" speech was his, in that context, well, I thought that was rather silly, in my opinion. So, to be honest I enjoyed it very much yet was quite disapointed with the above points. I'd say the experience was bittersweet for me.

I'm looking forward to series 6. I'm hoping they find a cast of character actors (like they did for the first three) and that they push for creativity, character, adventure and wonder -- as Star Trek is supposed to be an adventure/discovery show, right? It's also about optimism, so I hope the gloomy remains of "Enterprise" are thoroughly buried. In short, I'm hoping for another good series! :)
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Bmat » Wed May 18, 2005 5:24 am

Is there going to be another series? I thought Trek had been closed up for good. (?)
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Neurolanis » Thu May 19, 2005 3:27 pm

No, no. I've heard they're very proud of their Star Trek creation and want to keep making more.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby fanuilh » Thu May 19, 2005 11:00 pm

The finale was the first time I'd watched in quite awhile, so I missed a lot of stuff in between.

I guess the fact that it was cancelled before the producers et. al. were really done with it would explain the cobbled-together feel. That was my impression, anyway.

And could they not have handled Trip's death with a little more subtlety? Not the incident itself, but beforehand. Troi and Riker are watching the Enterprise crew in the holodeck simulation, Trip walks by, Troi drops an anvil. Sheez. I think his death would have had a much larger dramatic impact if we hadn't known it was coming twenty minutes beforehand.

It was interesting to see how much T'Pol had changed. At first I was annoyed, then the light bulb came on -- she'd made a conscious decision to not only stay with the human crew, but to allow her emotions freer rein. I think Jolene Blalock handled it very, very well.

And I still felt sorry for Porthos. He just never seemed to get enough attention.

I've read somewhere that they haven't written the Trek franchise off altogether, they just might let it simmer for awhile on the back burner, until they think the fans are ready for another one. I hope it doesn't turn out to be another Voyager.
"Never look at the trombones, it only enourages them." -- Richard Strauss
fanuilh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fanuilh » Thu May 19, 2005 11:01 pm

One more thing -- I guess we'll never find out who Chef really was. :roll:
"Never look at the trombones, it only enourages them." -- Richard Strauss
fanuilh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Neurolanis » Tue May 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Yes. They could have done that much! They could have gotten some star or something, some one surprising. What about Guinin? (excuse spelling, from TNG.)
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Sindatur » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:18 pm

Personally, I thought it was awful, they should have let Manny Cotto do the finale, he's the one that really made the 4th season good. The first two seasons were mostly awful, a couple decent episodes here and there, but, not many. Season 3, with the season long arc was an improvement, but, it got old before the season ended. Season 4 is the only Good season Enterprise had, it made Enterprise what we all had hoped for and expected when the series was initially announced as a TOS Prequel, and that was because there was a new show runner, and they didn't even have the brass to allow him to do the finale. B&B knew the end was coming, there was plenty of notice to write that same episode, so much better.

It was stupid, IMHO to bring in the TNG folks, it didn't bring the series together, because that would've required DS9 and Voyager to also have gotten homages.

As Fan mentioned, it was a real mistake to have Deanna say Trip was gonna die.

And then, the whole buildup of the entire episode was about the end speech, yet they cut it off before the speech? Huh, what was the point of the whole episode then? Anyone think they glossed over the spech because B&B couldn't come up with writing worth showing the speech?

Manny could've done the same story, but executed it 100s of times better.
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Neurolanis » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:21 pm

Agreed.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby doctor_odd » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:22 pm

Didn't like TATV.

'Terra Prime' was a far better finalle, IMO.
Assasin: "You know what your sin is?"
Malcolm Reynolds: "Hell, I'm a fan of all seven, but right now I'd have to go with wrath."
-SERENITY-
doctor_odd
New User
New User

Location: Somewhere cold and damp that reeks of watermelon...

Postby Boikat » Tue May 22, 2007 12:50 am

fanuilh wrote:One more thing -- I guess we'll never find out who Chef really was. :roll:

Emiril (or however his name is spelled) :)
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Return to Star Trek