speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director's Edition

The grand daddy of Science Fiction as a franchise, Speculative Vision salutes the genius that is Star Trek.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director's Edition

Postby Desslok » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:53 pm

Just found a used DVD of Star Trek: The Motion Picture - The Director's Edition over the weekend. Yes, it's still the weakest of the bunch. Yes, I still keep nodding off whenever I watch it. But there are some points of interest that make it worth watching at least once:

According to one of the documentaries, director Robert Wise pulled a trick from George Lucas' playbook and re-did a few scenes, employing the use of CGI and other technologies. However, unlike Lucas, Wise set some restrictions on how to do it. He didn't want these re-done scenes to be distracting, so he asked the effects guys to limit the scenes to only reflect technology that was available in 1979. So no dewbacks walking around in the background. :) He also trimmed a few scenes here and there.

He pulled it off nicely. The cheap matte paintings on Vulcan were replaced with more breathtaking scenery. There were a few new exterior Enterprise and V'Ger shots (we even get a few good looks at the V'Ger ship itself). And the hexagonal rocks are now seen extending out toward the Enterprise as the crew walks on the saucer.

There's a documentary covering the abandoned Star Trek: Phase II series, complete with bad hair and costumes. The actor who would have replaced Spock in the series (Nimoy wasn't interested) was given a small role in TMP as a scientist on space station Epsilon 9.

The commentary isn't the best, but it's interesting to hear the late Jerry Goldsmith chime in.

The overture and main titles have been modified. Instead of a plain black background, they now appear over a moving starfield.

Long before Peter Jackson used it, Robert Wise employed "forced perspective" in at least one scene. The engine room had a five-foot actor and a 3-foot boy dressed in engineer's uniforms standing next to the horizontal warp shaft, which was designed in such a way as to make it look longer than it really was.

Although the original MPAA rating was G, the DVD is rated PG. Makes more sense, since there are a few mild swear words and some light violence. Oh yeah... and McCoy with that beard and gold medallion is just obscene!

The DVD also features the trailers and TV commercials for the movie. The first two theatrical trailers are filled with cheesy '70s graphics. Kinda fun to watch.

Overall, the movie just went from 5/10 to 6.5/10.
Desslok
New User
New User

Postby Neurolanis » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:51 pm

The film is actually quite good. Its only flaws -- if you would call them that -- would be the seriousness of the characters and the lack of a personal villain. But highly imaginative, captivating! They had pride in their model and showed it off shamelessly. It works because you're actually looking at a model. If done now the ship would be in computer effects and so that scene would seem meaningless; pointless.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby ScottSF » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:04 am

I know the endless unfolding of V***ger was what put a lot of people to sleep but the premis was some inventive sci-fi. Also the sleepy trip through V-ger was really nice to look at. I don't think it was the weakest. I'm not much a fan of the Original Trek but some of the movies were adequate. That one with spock's brother and the wizard of oz ending was way worse than "the motion picture." And Nemesis was worse than anything in any star trek anything ever. I do so wish the enterprise can go back in time and make it so that movie never happened.
Time flies like an Arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
-Groucho Marx
ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Return to Star Trek